House Price Crash Forum

Goldman Sachs Invests $375M In Facebook

Pole

HOLA441

Hmmm. Here is the thing. Facebook scares the shite out of a whole bunch of big players in the technology industry. Definitely Google & Microsoft. Almost certainly Apple. And probably the likes of Yahoo, Ebay & Amazon as well. And then you get to the phone companies. Are you going to choose to pay for a call with BT or are you going to call using the Facebook integrated phone service I wonder….that is available via the browser on your mobile….?

Look at what you can do with Facebook today. Run programs (although currently crap ones like Farmville), store digital content (photos etc), communicate with people, play music, watch video.

Hang on a second….is that not what most people do with a PC….?

Facebook is in effect a ‘web operating system’. A base upon which applications and services can be hosted. And it knows you, it knows who you are. So how long will it be before you use Facebook to store your music, store your Word & Excel documents, as a portal in to your bank accounts, to pay your utility bill, to manage your diary, to book your restaurants & holidays, to act as a repository for your medical information, your financial information, your will…………

All of these are services that can be monetized. But first, Facebook needs to become universally adopted, like Microsoft did with the PC.

There is a seismic shift going on with the Tech industry right now. It is commonly referred to as cloud computing. People scoff at the concept of cloud computing, but believe me, it is happening, and fast. They have some challenges around digital security, but nonetheless, Facebook represents the strongest disruptor to the dominance of the Windows operating system that we have ever seen. All you need is a device with a browser, and pretty much everything you do today on a PC you can do on the Facebook platform.

Guess who the first company were to take a stake in Facebook? That would be Microsoft………

(and I do not work for Facebook BTW, but I am in that industry)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Hmmm. Here is the thing. Facebook scares the shite out of a whole bunch of big players in the technology industry. Definitely Google & Microsoft. Almost certainly Apple. And probably the likes of Yahoo, Ebay & Amazon as well. And then you get to the phone companies. Are you going to choose to pay for a call with BT or are you going to call using the Facebook integrated phone service I wonder….that is available via the browser on your mobile….?

Well you have hit the nail on the head there. Facebook applications are BIG! Lot of money to be made there if you know what you are doing. I'm thinking of dipping my toe in the water with Facebook applications.

The internet as we know it is changing, with people tending to use an "app" to do stuff. OK it might get so ridiculous as we end up with millions of apps and it will become more practical to use a browser again. But want something on Amazon or Ebay? Then Use an app.

But yes, MS and Google are worried, with most people doing stuff via mobile phone and Facebook apps.

I think HPC'ers have got to get out of this habit of knocking stuff, purely because they don't "get it" or because Goldman Sachs are involved. I wouldn't personally invest a penny in an IPO or offering on Facebook. Doesn't mean there isn't money to be made. To some extent I regret not riding the past decade property bubble, but then again I've been thinking it was going to collapse since 2002/3, so thats very much with the benefit of hindsight!

HOLA443
I think HPC'ers have got to get out of this habit of knocking stuff, purely because they don't "get it" or because Goldman Sachs are involved. I wouldn't personally invest a penny in an IPO or offering on Facebook. Doesn't mean there isn't money to be made. To some extent I regret not riding the past decade property bubble, but then again I've been thinking it was going to collapse since 2002/3, so thats very much with the benefit of hindsight!

Me too, but I never reckoned with QE and imaginary money that (temporarily) kept IRs so low. But I can't see our rulers preventing the Net 2.0 bubble ending the way the first one did, in 2000...

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/social-network-tech-bubble-20

even if the (unaudited) $2bn revenue is true: "$2 billion in revenue, the $50 billion new valuation, and assuming a 25% net margin (which is very generous), Facebook’s P/E multiple is an astonishing 100x +..."

EDIT: gramma

Edited by dryrot

HOLA444
HOLA445

But these applications are incredibly popular, and there are loads of them.

Even I could play Farmville, or Frontierville, or Zoo Word, or Cafe World, where as I'd probably be "stuck" on the first level of COD4 or whatever the lastest hot game is.

Edited by Sir John Steed

HOLA446

you cant.

but Goldmans dont care.

They have invented a way to sell a "security" interest in a private company, where the internal financials remain unknown.

this private firm can have, IIRC 500 shareholders as a limit.

GS are to become or are already a shareholder and are selling pieces of this shareholdership to what they hope will be 1000's of hopefuls, who will invest and take a piece of the amazing action.

This puts the facebook value to Billions instantly and avoids SEC rules on shareholder limits on undisclosable closed Companies.

Another scheme to avoid the law to enrich banksters and fleece the public.

Excellent post

HOLA447

Even I could play Farmville, or Frontierville, or Zoo Word, or Cafe World, where as I'd probably be "stuck" on the first level of COD4 or whatever the lastest hot game is.

And it ain't just crap games anymore........ how about Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.....?

http://venturebeat.com/2010/11/15/microsoft-facebook-google-affair-office-apps/

HOLA448

And it ain't just crap games anymore........ how about Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.....?

http://venturebeat.c...ir-office-apps/

Exactly. And people are missing point that its not just about Facebook, but about applications and people using the interweb in a whole new way, and with different devices (not just PC's).

HOLA449

Exactly. And people are missing point that its not just about Facebook, but about applications and people using the interweb in a whole new way, and with different devices (not just PC's).

Im interested in what this whole new way is?

sure, getting stuff to the mobile....but buying things?...are they buying more and what are they buying?

Or is Facebook at al trying to prove you can become billionaires with affiliate marketing?

HOLA4410

Im interested in what this whole new way is?

sure, getting stuff to the mobile....but buying things?...are they buying more and what are they buying?

Or is Facebook at al trying to prove you can become billionaires with affiliate marketing?

The likes of Facebook, enable you get more targeted traffic, customers for sure, rather than the untrusted sewer that Google has become. Its not just affiliate marketers, at the moment seeing offers from american express, virgin, nokia and amusingly saga on my current facebook wall.

But the traditional website, domain model probably might not last more than a few more years, as people switch to cloud/Facebook models, operated from devices, or at best become very marginalised. Indeed Google will be extremely worried if Facebook moves seriously into "search." They are currently wetting their knickers over Twitters real time search capabilities.

Also the backend, Facebook is quite a technological achievement in terms of cloud computing. More and more us being done on these huge "clouds" run by Google, Microsoft, Amazon (AWS), and Facebook and so on..

HOLA4411

The likes of Facebook, enable you get more targeted traffic, customers for sure, rather than the untrusted sewer that Google has become. Its not just affiliate marketers, at the moment seeing offers from american express, virgin, nokia and amusingly saga on my current facebook wall.

But the traditional website, domain model probably might not last more than a few more years, as people switch to cloud/Facebook models, operated from devices, or at best become very marginalised. Indeed Google will be extremely worried if Facebook moves seriously into "search." They are currently wetting their knickers over Twitters real time search capabilities.

Also the backend, Facebook is quite a technological achievement in terms of cloud computing. More and more us being done on these huge "clouds" run by Google, Microsoft, Amazon (AWS), and Facebook and so on..

much obliged...but I was thinking more of revenue for Facebook...they appear to be using the affiliate marketing method.

As for domains, then the sellers will need one to do the sales and presentations.

really, facebook makes it easy to click.

as for the ads on my wall...there are none at all....as there are none on HPC for me.

and is the iphone big enough to show click through ads?

HOLA4412

and is the iphone big enough to show click through ads?

Not sure and for the moment doesn't matter as there are enough people on Facebook that can view adds and don't block ads. I tried ad blocking on facebook once, and it seemed to screw up the javascript.

Anyways for the moment it doesn't matter, as Facebook can deliver shed loads if traffic (if you want it). You can pay be impression or by traditional "pay per click" though it would be interesting to know if "impressions" count even though a device prohibits display due to say screen size.

HOLA4413

Not sure and for the moment doesn't matter as there are enough people on Facebook that can view adds and don't block ads. I tried ad blocking on facebook once, and it seemed to screw up the javascript.

Anyways for the moment it doesn't matter, as Facebook can deliver shed loads if traffic (if you want it). You can pay be impression or by traditional "pay per click" though it would be interesting to know if "impressions" count even though a device prohibits display due to say screen size.

Doomberg, just now...they make 2-3 dollars per user per year. That is revenue...As I say, no-one but Company insiders know the costs of doing this business.

whereas google makes $25.

HOLA4414

Doomberg, just now...they make 2-3 dollars per user per year. That is revenue...As I say, no-one but Company insiders know the costs of doing this business.

Well that is interesting news. But the dollars per user will increase. Its great that there are new players, emerging as being reliant on Google is no fun (assuming Google doesn't acquire them of course). The infrastructure costs will be massive. 60,000 servers and counting!

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/06/28/facebook-server-count-60000-or-more/

HOLA4415

It is not about advertising though. In a few years’ time, if the world goes the way of Facebook:

• Your utilities companies will pay Facebook so that they can deliver (and receive payment for) your bill.

• Facebook will become the only Telecom provider you make calls through.

• You will pay Facebook for Music & TV content

• You will pay Facebook to act as your 'digital archive' for storing your electronic assets

• Marketing companies will pay Facebook for information they are able to generate from comparing, for example, your bank account information to the amount of times that your calendar shows you are playing golf.

• Companies that sell things will pay the ‘Facebook Transaction Service’ a small percentage of the money they recive from the interne sales they make via Facebook.

• The list goes on………….

HOLA4416

Cheap lager is very popular as not every one can apprectiate/afford a bottle of good bordeaux. Does it mean I should like cheap lager?

And Facebook is so popular because it's based on some of our lowest instincts (narcissism). That's what I naturally dislike. Sure, it's a good business model and they can even make £100billion of profit every year but I won't really care.

HOLA4417

It is not about advertising though. In a few years’ time, if the world goes the way of Facebook:

• Your utilities companies will pay Facebook so that they can deliver (and receive payment for) your bill.

• You will pay Facebook to act as your 'digital archive' for storing your electronic assets

• Marketing companies will pay Facebook for information they are able to generate from comparing, for example, your bank account information to the amount of times that your calendar shows you are playing golf.

• Companies that sell things will pay the ‘Facebook Transaction Service’ a small percentage of the money they recive from the interne sales they make via Facebook.

• The list goes on………….

... till the bubble bursts.

HOLA4418

Cheap lager is very popular as not every one can apprectiate/afford a bottle of good bordeaux. Does it mean I should like cheap lager?

And Facebook is so popular because it's based on some of our lowest instincts (narcissism). That's what I naturally dislike. Sure, it's a good business model and they can even make £100billion of profit every year but I won't really care.

You are missing the point about Facebook, its plugging itself into the heart of internet infrastucture, transactions and applications. Its like saying Amazon is about selling books online (it isn't).

Forget p*ssheads posting pics of themselves in their underpants. There is more to it, than that.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It is not about advertising though. In a few years' time, if the world goes the way of Facebook:

• Companies that sell things will pay the 'Facebook Transaction Service' a small percentage of the money they recive from the interne sales they make via Facebook.
  • The list goes on………….

ah, you mean the CIA facebook.

HOLA4421

... till the bubble bursts.

Ahhh, you still do not get it. We are not talking about Facebook as a destination, we are talking about Facebook as an electronic facilitator, service provider & trusted data repository.

The whole chav information thing is no longer the raison d’etre. It is a lure to bring in new recruits, but what Facebook wants is your identity, your trust and your digital soul.

HOLA4422

Ahhh, you still do not get it. We are not talking about Facebook as a destination, we are talking about Facebook as an electronic facilitator, service provider & trusted data repository.

The whole chav information thing is no longer the raison d’etre. It is a lure to bring in new recruits, but what Facebook wants is your identity, your trust and your digital soul.

Interesting perspective. I've never thought about it like that. :unsure:

HOLA4423

Interesting perspective. I've never thought about it like that. :unsure:

That is what Google wants as well. Your digital Soul. And, to a degree, so does Microsoft. Yet Facebook is probably further down the path to claiming it than either of these two players. Interesting times. There is some major stuff happening in Tech right now, yet no one seems to really focus on it.

HOLA4424

That is what Google wants as well. Your digital Soul. And, to a degree, so does Microsoft. Yet Facebook is probably further down the path to claiming it than either of these two players. Interesting times. There is some major stuff happening in Tech right now, yet no one seems to really focus on it.

funny these guys can do it, but the NHS cant get a spreadsheet to work.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA4425

Facebook = NWO Spying tool

"Congress stopped the IAO from gathering as much information as possible about everyone in a centralized nexus for easy spying by the United States government, including internet activity, credit card purchase histories, airline ticket purchases, car rentals, medical records, educational transcripts, driver’s licenses, utility bills, tax returns, and all other available data. The government’s plan was to emulate Communist East Germany’s STASI police state by getting mailmen, boy scouts, teachers, students and others to spy on everyone else. Children would be urged to spy on parents.

Facebook, however, does what no dictator ever dreamed of—it has a half billion people willingly doing a form of spy work on all their friends, family, neighbors, etc.—while enthusiastically revealing information on themselves.

The huge database on these half a billion members (and non-members who are written about) is too much power for any private entity—but what if it is part of, or is accessed by, the military-industrial-national security-police state complex?"

http://www.prisonplanet.com/facebook-and-social-media-a-convenient-cover-for-spying.html

Lloyd Blankfein, CEO of Goldman Sachs is a member of the Bilderberg Group

http://www.jeremiahproject.com/newworldorder/nworder04.html