House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

A Saving Money Experiment For Male Hpc's

Once saw Alan Davies on QI state that shaving foam/gel etc... was one huge con which we men don't need. The claim was water was all what was needed for an effective shave.

I tried it a few times and it was fine, but as my supply of gel has ended I've decided to try this suggestion to see how I get on. I've found that the best way appears to be to shower before shaving, when you get out of the shower it should be fine to shave. Your face should be soft enough to shave, currently I'm using a gillette fusion razor.

Anyone else prepared to try this as a money saving experiment?

I read it on here a few months back, can't remember which thread it was. I was highly sceptical but decided to give it a go as I always shave in the shower anyway, and I have to say it works for me. I use a Gillette Mach 3.

Once saw Alan Davies on QI state that shaving foam/gel etc... was one huge con which we men don't need. The claim was water was all what was needed for an effective shave.

I tried it a few times and it was fine, but as my supply of gel has ended I've decided to try this suggestion to see how I get on. I've found that the best way appears to be to shower before shaving, when you get out of the shower it should be fine to shave. Your face should be soft enough to shave, currently I'm using a gillette fusion razor.

Anyone else prepared to try this as a money saving experiment?

Been doing it (both your suggestions) for years. Not to save money, but because I get a better shave that way (or at least dont get a worse one).

I recently tried an expensive shaving gel to see if 'products' are better these days. Waste of money. And time.

I have a beard like steel wire, though: It's so tough I blunt Mach3s after a couple of uses and once had an electric shaver jam on my face (ouch).

So, already the consensus is emerging that we are all different and what works for some doesnt work for others?

So, if you havent tried IRRs 2 step plan, give it a go. If it works for you, you'll save yourself some time and money. And if it doesnt.... it won't?

It's much smoother with foam. Those economy makes at unde £1 last ages. You don't need to use lots.

Before I stopped shaving altogether, I shaved in the shower using the soap I used to wash my face (ie I wash my face, then shave, then rinse my face. Works fine, no pain or rash. A mist free hand mirror is useful.

The best shaving saving I made was to avoid the ridiculously expensive razors. I use an old fashioned double edged safety razor.

220px-Chrome-Safety-Razor.jpg

I use about 1 pack of blades (£1.50 a pack) a year.

I wonder if you could use sperm? It's free, and you probably have a new load each day!

Full of pH-balanced nutrition for your skin and all the other crap the cosmetic companies go on about too.

Why dont you try it and report back?

All in the name of science of course.

You don't need soap or foam to shave or wash, or shampoo for your hair.

Have you ever thought that the quite severe ingredients in soap and shampoo are there to keep you buying ?

Strip off your natural grease (and fauna), which is there for a purpose, and your skin will compensate with enhanced production of oils. Shampoo manufacturers rely upon this simple fact to keep you washing daily and using their products. It is an industry after all. Did our survival require shampoo ?..Apart from some skin conditions that benefit form topical applications.

Keratin (hair and nails) soften in water, so will shave and cut fine if wetted.

Stop using shampoo and your hair will look ghastly for a couple of weeks as your skin becomes accustomed to its new regime (so do it when you go on holiday), then you will find your hair only needs washing in water as it gains its natural shiny state.

Stopped using foam around 5 years ago (don't remember why?!).

You have to soften your beard first by wetting it, otherwise it's a bit rough/painful.

I usually shave in the shower. Wet face when I first get in. Shave last thing before I get out.. good excuse for an extra few minutes of warm water bliss in the mornings :D

Been doing it (both your suggestions) for years. Not to save money, but because I get a better shave that way (or at least dont get a worse one).

I recently tried an expensive shaving gel to see if 'products' are better these days. Waste of money. And time.

I have a beard like steel wire, though: It's so tough I blunt Mach3s after a couple of uses and once had an electric shaver jam on my face (ouch).

I've been having the impression it's a better shave.

Interesting that some find it painful, I was under the impression this was a man's thread :lol::P:ph34r:

Out of interest for those who are finding it painful without the gel etc... how long are you leaving your face to soak for with just water before you are attempting to shave?

Before I stopped shaving altogether, I shaved in the shower using the soap I used to wash my face (ie I wash my face, then shave, then rinse my face. Works fine, no pain or rash. A mist free hand mirror is useful.

The best shaving saving I made was to avoid the ridiculously expensive razors. I use an old fashioned double edged safety razor.

220px-Chrome-Safety-Razor.jpg

I use about 1 pack of blades (£1.50 a pack) a year.

Not looked for a razor for a while, can you buy one of these from any chemist or will they require hunting down?

Not looked for a razor for a while, can you buy one of these from any chemist or will they require hunting down?

I've just been on Amazon... they have quite a selection (though it's not them selling them). Lots of five-star reviews. I may be investing in one: I'm sick of 1/2 arsed shaves from the multiblades and 1/4 arsed shaves from electric razors.

I've been having the impression it's a better shave.

Interesting that some find it painful, I was under the impression this was a man's thread :lol::P:ph34r:

Out of interest for those who are finding it painful without the gel etc... how long are you leaving your face to soak for with just water before you are attempting to shave?

Snigger. Indeed.laugh.gif

I quite often shave without any wetting or lubrication. I find it gives the best shave of all with (new) multiblades. I generally only wet to help the razor out after it's first couple of uses when it's starting to get blunter.

I don't know how much money there is to be saved here, a large can of shaving foam lasts two months and costs £1. The thing to remember is you only need a thin layer, you don't have to give yourself a Santa Claus beard with the stuff. The essential point is to allow it to soften the bristles, so after I have applied it, I go back on HPC for ten minutes or so. ;)

I have tried using soap, shampoo, Fairy Liquid etc when I have run out of shaving foam and they work, but not as well.

I have got some Mach 4 razor type of thing, but it was cheap to buy (they do the same as printer manufacturers, sell the product cheap and then rip you off on the refills) but I only change the blade a couple of times a year and find that far from replacing the blade every week, the blade doesn't give a good shave until it has been "run-in", which takes a week.

My Dad used to shave using a Gilette safety razor, I have never seen a man with so many small squares of bloody toilet paper stuck to his face. (I can also remember him shaving with a cut-throat razor, one of my earliest memories is of him sharpening it on the back of his trouser belt over the kitchen sink)

I also don't like gel or electric razors, but I think the essential point is that everybody's face shape and facial hair type is different so there isn't a one size fits all way to shave. There is certainly very little money to be saved here!

EDIT I have just looked at my avatar and remembered that I don't shave, so forget the above :)

I got mine in Boots I seem to remember. You can spend alot on them, but I got a basic one with a plastic handle about 10 years ago, and was still using it without trouble up until I became a beardy weirdy last year.

I've just been on Amazon... they have quite a selection (though it's not them selling them). Lots of five-star reviews. I may be investing in one: I'm sick of 1/2 arsed shaves from the multiblades and 1/4 arsed shaves from electric razors.

I quite often shave without any wetting or lubrication. I find it gives the best shave of all with (new) multiblades. I generally only wet to help the razor out after it's first couple of uses when it's starting to get blunter.

Don't try a safety razor dry! Wet the blade at the least in my experience.

...My Dad used to shave using a Gilette safety razor, I have never seen a man with so many small squares of bloody toilet paper stuck to his face...

... I think the essential point is that everybody's face shape and facial hair type is different so there isn't a one size fits all way to shave...

Chuckle. Never a problem for me. You do have to pay a little more attention with a safety razor. Pulling the skin tight helps.

I'd agree with the second. My wife shreds herself when she uses my razor on her legs.

Double Edge safety razors

Interesting reading some of the comments about that you need to look how to shave with them.

I might buy one and see what it's like. Quite like the sound of the Merkur 1904 Double Edge Safety Razor, which is a copy of the original Gillette from that era.

I might buy one and see what it's like. Quite like the sound of the Merkur 1904 Double Edge Safety Razor, which is a copy of the original Gillette from that era.

I imagine it would be like doing everyday journeys in a 1904 car. :)

Long hot soak in the bath. Then use baby lotion with Tesco's disposable razor. I think the softening with hot water is the vital ingredient, when I couldn't get it in the Far East, shaving was a nightmare.

You don't need soap or foam to shave or wash, or shampoo for your hair.

Have you ever thought that the quite severe ingredients in soap and shampoo are there to keep you buying ?

Strip off your natural grease (and fauna), which is there for a purpose, and your skin will compensate with enhanced production of oils. Shampoo manufacturers rely upon this simple fact to keep you washing daily and using their products. It is an industry after all. Did our survival require shampoo ?..Apart from some skin conditions that benefit form topical applications.

Keratin (hair and nails) soften in water, so will shave and cut fine if wetted.

Stop using shampoo and your hair will look ghastly for a couple of weeks as your skin becomes accustomed to its new regime (so do it when you go on holiday), then you will find your hair only needs washing in water as it gains its natural shiny state.

Interesting I was told the same thing by the c0ck doc.

Got a bit of redness down there and went in for the chat. Basically turns out it was just sensitivity to stuff in soaps and all. She recommended not washing your bellend with anything other than water, or if you did use some natural stuff or as simple as possible.

Anyway...:ph34r: