House Price Crash Forum
xux42

Package Holiday Prices

Mid June 2008 paid £1100 for 2 persons, 7 days 4* all inclusive in Kos, flights & transfers and it was brilliant value - fantastic hotel, staff, beach, food.

Mid June 2011 I can book same hol (apart from hotel being a bit further along the beach) through same holiday company for £1160 but 10 days.

That's a 40% longer stay for 5.4% more than 3 years earlier :huh:

So what's going on? I can't reconcile this - what about the collapsed pound? Where is the inflation effect?

Anyone else finding that Med. holidays are looking value this year?

Guest spp

Kos = Greece

In case you hadn't noticed.

edit : Where is the inflation...ffsk

Not everyone needs to go abroad! Maybe the inflation in the things they 'need' is actually putting a squeeze on.

Edited by spp

Mid June 2008 paid £1100 for 2 persons, 7 days 4* all inclusive in Kos, flights & transfers and it was brilliant value - fantastic hotel, staff, beach, food.

Mid June 2011 I can book same hol (apart from hotel being a bit further along the beach) through same holiday company for £1160 but 10 days.

So what's going on? I can't reconcile this - what about the collapsed pound? Where is the inflation effect?

They probably hedged the prices by booking rates, rooms and fuel in advance.....next year could well be different, make the most of it....more and more are shopping on-line for their flights and accommodation independently, not for everyone I know, but the more choices the better imo. ;)

They probably hedged the prices by booking rates, rooms and fuel in advance.....next year could well be different, make the most of it....more and more are shopping on-line for their flights and accommodation independently, not for everyone I know, but the more choices the better imo. ;)

Sorry folks the Prev. hol was in 2009 but I think the general point stands.

No riots on Kos, but yes there could be air traffic control strikes - something we should all take seriously. Especially horrific for contractor scum: being stuck on a sunny beach is expensive and could be a complete disaster if the client got impatient....

Did book own accommodation in 2007 on the Gulf coast, and it was fantastic, but combined it with Fly Drive for partial ABTA protection being a cautious fellow.

Update: Now Mrs xux has realised hols are value she wants to spend the amount we originally had in mind on a posher holiday.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who suffers like this.

What is it with women and holidays? - if they suddenly lost interest and holiday bookings depended solely on the male urge to sit on hot beaches I'm convinced that turnover would nosedive at least 80%.

just be weary of those fuel surcharges ? :angry:

Sun, sea, sand and petrol bombs....

10gree2.ms.650.jpg

I think he's chucking a piece of Feta... petrol's too pricey you see :P

On the same subject the seem to be a glut of last minute ski deals available this winter. More than usual I would say. I guess they are often "second" holidays and therefore one of the first things that get cut-back.

Apols for resurrecting old thread, but Mrs Xux and I are worried about the PIIGS and N.Africa stability wrt to holiday bookings.

So, where on the Med. do people reckon we can book for end June confident of little possibility of riots, curfews and having to head back for blighty in a hurry?

We thought of the French Riveria but that's a bit costly and other people avoiding the PIIGS & N. Africa surely won't dampen demand in places like Nice. Barcelona would be one of the more stable holiday destinations in Spain maybe? Its quite rich.

BTW isn't it rather strange that there are Brits who turned up in Tunisia after the curfew was imposed?

I mean how did they manage to see no TV news, hear no Radio news, not see anything online or read the overseas section of a newspaper? Plus dodge warnings from the tour operator?

Its as if some people go to great lengths to avoid news and current affairs.

Normally because there's so blooming many of us I book next years holiday when we get back from the last one, this year I think there will be last min bargains since everyone is thinking the same as you, where are the safe places to visit and exactly how much is it going to cost? I think I'll make that decision the day before we fly.

Reason - lack of demand and lot of empty hotel roooms.

I think you are right....lots of spare hotel rooms, lots of good deals.....flying is cheaper than driving this year. ;)

I would bet that the all inclusive food and drinks are not what they were, not by a long shot.

What is it with women and holidays? -

Hollow larf. Over the past month Mr B has suddenly become obsessed with a particular hol at the end of Feb. I don't really want to go then, doesn't suit me for various reasons, and I don't have enough leave left to do that type of hol. justice. And we only went away at the end of Oct. FGS.

However his endless wittering about it has driven me so bonkers that I've given in.

And I'm worried about all the birdies in the garden. :( Could be freezing cold again then. I'm feeding them twice a day and there's nobody I can ask to do it while we're away.

BTW isn't it rather strange that there are Brits who turned up in Tunisia after the curfew was imposed?

I mean how did they manage to see no TV news, hear no Radio news, not see anything online or read the overseas section of a newspaper? Plus dodge warnings from the tour operator?

Its as if some people go to great lengths to avoid news and current affairs.

Hehe. I wasn't aware of it until today. That's what you get from not reading daily newspapers. Maybe Tunisia has finally become an interesting place to visit!

Reason - lack of demand and lot of empty hotel roooms.

Article in the Times today about hotels in the centre of Dublin charging £35 per night, and still empty. These aren't glorified lodging houses either - right in the most expensive areas, and during the boom they commanded 10x that much.