House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Bank Of England Warning

"Consumer spending is likely to remain subdued, as high oil prices and lowered employment prospects slow growth in people's incomes.

The warning comes from David Walton, of the Bank of England's monetary policy committee."

And its gonna get worse!

More:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13440500,00.html

[Why isn't the news blog updated today?]

"Consumer spending is likely to remain subdued, as high oil prices and lowered employment prospects slow growth in people's incomes.

The warning comes from David Walton, of the Bank of England's monetary policy committee."

And its gonna get worse!

More:

We are being primed.

And its gonna get worse!

More:

Ouch! Is he one of Crash Gordon's puppets?

/G

If the government invested heavily in renewables for domestic use it'd boost the economy, boost manufacturing, help with the forthcoming oil crisis, do a bit for the envioronment, boost the cash people have to spend on non-bills, etc etc.

And it might save them having to build a nuclear power station...

It'd be quicker to start implementing rather than a many year planning arguement and then 8 year build.

It'd take a small bit of policy change, a quick bit of borrowing (but they're good at that..) and we could have a great economy again. :)

Ok it can't possibly be *that* simple... can it?

If the government invested heavily in renewables for domestic use it'd boost the economy, boost manufacturing, help with the forthcoming oil crisis, do a bit for the envioronment, boost the cash people have to spend on non-bills, etc etc.

And it might save them having to build a nuclear power station...

It'd be quicker to start implementing rather than a many year planning arguement and then 8 year build.

It'd take a small bit of policy change, a quick bit of borrowing (but they're good at that..) and we could have a great economy again. :)

Ok it can't possibly be *that* simple... can it?

to think it would help seems feasable. though, its probably too experimenty to go full steam ahead. plus - lets use as much imported energy while we can. save our reserves what what.

Now I'm just a simple Mushroom, so someone help me here.

We often hear Government Ministers and others tell us that we need to care for the environment and not consume too much.

Then when consumption goes down, instead of comments such as "good that's less resources used", the concern is how to get consumption back up.

So, hypocrisy or lack of logical, connected thinking?

How is renewable the way to go? I just got a pack on government grants on - it's so expensive it needs to be heavily funded to get people to use it, and the public sector uses it because they get it paid for by the government. Load o' tosh. Time for coal again in my view as we have hundreds of years of it in the ground. Hitler turned coal into fuel for planes didn't he, but the octane was so poor his planes got performance issues. Noticed some heavy industries are moving back in the direction of coal as the price is more stable.

We often hear Government Ministers and others tell us that we need to care for the environment and not consume too much.

Then when consumption goes down, instead of comments such as "good that's less resources used", the concern is how to get consumption back up.

it's very cynical thinking - they can tax us on consumption - if we stopped consuming the country would really be plucked e.g. let's put cash into trying to save Rover (car manufacturer) whilst trying to tax people out of their cars (alledgedly), knowing damn well that they won't use public transport and will keep paying more and more tax

How is renewable the way to go? I just got a pack on government grants on - it's so expensive it needs to be heavily funded to get people to use it, and the public sector uses it because they get it paid for by the government. Load o' tosh. Time for coal again in my view as we have hundreds of years of it in the ground. Hitler turned coal into fuel for planes didn't he, but the octane was so poor his planes got performance issues. Noticed some heavy industries are moving back in the direction of coal as the price is more stable.

i think the vast supply of coal thing is a bit of a myth. we aren't using that much of it right now - it's filthy!

if we were to ramp up consumption to somehow offset oil shortage, i think the reserves would start to be revised sharply.

And its gonna get worse!

More:

this is such an obvious stunt it is embarrasing!!!

king is worried about CPI and inflation right now - i.e two years after the fact from his rate setting decisions.

inflation is largely controlled by belief in what inflation is or will be.

king is trying to spook people into spending a bit less for a while (cutting demand) so that he might be spared a spike above 3% in the next few months after which he expects things to settle back down.

i think the vast supply of coal thing is a bit of a myth. we aren't using that much of it right now - it's filthy!

if we were to ramp up consumption to somehow offset oil shortage, i think the reserves would start to be revised sharply.

Filthy? Really? On what basis do you say that?

Sure, burning bituminous coal at home is pretty damn filthy. Agreed there. But burn the same coal in a modern power station and all you have to worry about is carbon dioxide. Yes, it's a greenhouse gas but it's invisible and hardly "filthy" in a physical sense.

The biggest problem of all is oil and it's cousin natural gas. Rapidly depleting, absolutely vital for all sorts of uses (to precious to burn for electricity) and sending a fortune off to the Middle East. And belching carbon dioxide too.