House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossybabe

When Did We Become Citizens?

When did we suddenly become 'citizens' instead of 'subjects'? Did I have a lie-in and miss it? Is it something to do with the EU?

Anyway, who asked our permission to make the change?:unsure:

When did we suddenly become 'citizens' instead of 'subjects'? Did I have a lie-in and miss it? Is it something to do with the EU?

Anyway, who asked our permission to make the change?:unsure:

That was the easiest citizenship I have ever got. I'm sure I was born a subject. Do I get a certificate?

A quick search brings up 1983 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_subject

I had always thought we were British subjects, but am delighted to find out that we are citizens. Maggie must have had a bitch fight with the Queen about this back in the day.

The citizenship came in much earlier - 1949 - but ran along side the subject hood until '83. It has left some oddities though, for instance my father is still a british subject, but not a british citizen, or indeed a citizen of anywhere.

That was the easiest citizenship I have ever got. I'm sure I was born a subject. Do I get a certificate?

Only if they declare you sane. I'm afraid you haven't a hope in hell of a certificate. rolleyes.gif