House Price Crash Forum

Raises some interesting points about 'worth' and has some useful calculators

When I read that, I have to presume an Agenda and associated bunch of preconceptions.

Not deserving of its own topic but I was hearing how the council had paid a bunch of consultants to ascribe an economic value to the trees in Falmouth. The many ways in which the public sector continues to burn money astonishes me.

When I read that, I have to presume an Agenda and associated bunch of preconceptions.

Blimey, calm down.

The issue I was looking into was related to earnings, as there have been various discussions on here about the 'average wage'.

Most peoples conception of 'average wage' is skewed by thier own experiences as I don't believe there are many, if any, who do the same job for the same employer for 20+ years. Even if they do the job is likely to have changed significantly over time, introduction of new technology, more efficient processes etc.

Anyway, I bought a new build back in 1986, 2 bed semi, for £35k and knowing what I was earning then, was looking into various ways of calculating what it is 'worth' now.

I obviously thought it was worth the money then, so my question to myself was, what's it selling for now and if I was on a comparable wage, would I still consider it worth the money or what would be my valuation.

BTW don't own it or any other property at present, but expecting falls over the next couple of years and so I am assessing at what point I will feel confortable in jumping back in, and at what price.

Surely this is something many STR's on here are pondering and I just thought the attached site might be of interest, nothing more, nothing less, no agenda.

But your reply is why I don't post here much and why it's always the same old posters, 'in the clan', all very sad, you will kill this site eventually.

But your reply is why I don't post here much and why it's always the same old posters, 'in the clan', all very sad, you will kill this site eventually.

Sorry, my post was a bit abrupt. Didn't mean to pooh-pooh your post and any discussion that might arise, but I did think it wouldn't hurt to pre-empt any kind of HPC vox-populi taking something from that site as authoritative 'proof' of someone's relative worth.

Not deserving of its own topic but I was hearing how the council had paid a bunch of consultants to ascribe an economic value to the trees in Falmouth. The many ways in which the public sector continues to burn money astonishes me.

Excellent, name me the council, and I will sell them my paperclip auditing services:

FREE PAPER CLIP AUDIT FOR YOUR BUSINESS FOLLOWS:

paper%2Bclip.jpg

---

Paper Clip Audit

Competent Person: __________

Date: __________

Reference: __________

Department: __________

Desk/Work Station Number: __________

1. Are paper clips located in the designated area? Yes [ ] No [ ]

2. Are paper clips in more than one location ? Yes [ ] No [ ]

If no, please report immediately to the paper clip spatial coordinator for advise.

3. Paper clip count:

Number of size 0 (small) paper clips: __________

Number of size 1 (medium) paper clips: __________

Number of size 2 (large) paper clips: __________

Number of size 3 (jumbo) paper clips: __________

If any value <10. Please refer to SOP4.8 to refill as necessary.

4. Paper clips out of shape: __________

If any value >0. Please report to your Paper Clip Team Leader for advice with regard to safe disposal and local recycling facilities (if available).

5. Paper clip colours:

A. Silver: __________

B. Black: __________

C. Blue: __________

D. Red: __________

E. Others:: __________

Please specify colour and number: __________

6. Time in minutes to complete audit: __________

7. Signature: __________

Edited by Money Spinner

Apologies for not getting your approval before posting, just off now to self flaggelate for an hour before dipping my **** in boiling lard.

Apologies for not getting your approval before posting, just off now to self flaggelate for an hour before dipping my **** in boiling lard.

Calm down dear. If you read it again you will see that I am saying that my snippet was not worthy of its own thread.

Quite an interesting site, basically a method of calculating what the value of £x in a given year would be on some other point in time.

I used this example for £1000 in 1961 in today's terms:

Current data is only available till 2009. In 2009, the relative worth of £1000 0s 0d from 1961 is:

£16,600.00 using the retail price index

£17,000.00 using the GDP deflator

£37,400.00 using the average earnings

£43,500.00 using the per capita GDP

£50,900.00 using the share of GDP

The reason this was interesting is that I stumbled across a review of British Businessman Sir Ernest Harrison who grew Racal and Vodafone. Apparently if you'd stuck the same £1000 in 1961 into the original Racal shares they'd have been worth £14m today. Not sure how much of that would have been down to Vodafone as certainly that us by far the bigger part, the Racal bit was all broken up and sold off.

Clearly if you get the right shares you can do very well.

Quite an interesting site, basically a method of calculating what the value of £x in a given year would be on some other point in time.

Current data is only available till 2009. In 2009, the relative worth of £1000 0s 0d from 1961 is:

The reason this was interesting is that I stumbled across a review of British Businessman Sir Ernest Harrison who grew Racal and Vodafone. Apparently if you'd stuck the same £1000 in 1961 into the original Racal shares they'd have been worth £14m today. Not sure how much of that would have been down to Vodafone as certainly that us by far the bigger part, the Racal bit was all broken up and sold off.

And roughly £63,000 using HPI.

This data is actually very interesting. I know that it is very dangerous to draw conclusions from data like this but the following assertations could bear further examination :

1. In real terms, the average employee is making a bit more than twice as much as they were making in 1961.

2. In real terms, the share of per capita GDP between the owners of labour and the owners of capital has only changed slightly in favour of the owners of capital.

3. House price growth has outstripped wage growth by clsoe to a factor of 1.7 since 1961

Hi All and Happy New Year

http://www.measuringworth.com/index.php

Stumbled across this site while looking for somethng else, as you do, and thought some on here might find it useful.

Certainly kept me occupied for an hour or so.

Raises some interesting points about 'worth' and has some useful calculators

Thanks AP,

Useful site indeed, can't believe the variations!

Just goes to prove 'lies, lies, and statistics!'

Know what you mean about the site ;)

I remember watching an elizabeth warren speech where she amalgameted this sort of data with spending patterns eg how much are people spending on cars,clothes etc etc and her basic conclusion iirc was that the middle class had lost spending power.

here it is.57 mins long but well worth the watch if you have some spare time.

The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class

Thanks for that.

I have read her work before.

I have often wondered whether the middle class ever existed.

Perhaps the upcoming stress will reveal that the concept of the middle class was just wishful thinking made possible by the "miracle" of the ability to assume debt.

In 2009, the relative worth of £1.00 from 1985 is:

£2.26 using the retail price index

£3.21 using the average earnings

24 Years and £1.00 24 years on.................

Using RPI 2.26

Using average wage 3.21, that is complete and utter nonsense.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100315071014AA4sFWm

FT Site = Average wage in 1985 £11,691.52

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/593477.stm

BBC Site = Average wage in 1985 £8,890 (London £10,660)