House Price Crash Forum

V A T Rise Will Hit Disabled, Black Lesbians

HOLA441

One thing in Currys i was looking at was £49 on Christmas Eve and £54.99 on Boxing Day. No doubt they will announce that there are no VAT increases and it is still £54.99, but that price increase is more than the amount of the extra VAT.

Total con. An LG TV I bought last year was exactly the same price in the sale (though a newer model).

The problem is that these items tend to go out of date almost as soon as bought, or stop working/fall to bits so they will get you with a VAT hike eventually.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Really?

Adult clothing: full VAT

You've never been seriously poor. You make do. I wasn't buying clothes in 2002/3.

(and in the era of Primark, you can buy new stuff for next to nothing too, but that's another story).

Road fuel (essential to go to work, maybe?): full VAT (including VAT on fuel duty)

Get a bike. Idiot. If you weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you'd at least have experienced life without a car in your youth, even if you got one when you got rich.

Domestic fuel: 5% VAT (not going up this time round)

Quite shocking. They should up that to full rate, and zero-rate more sensible things like energy efficiency. But that's another argument.

Happy to say my electricity bill has just dropped by 30% :D

HOLA445

as I posted before, is something in Currys £499 today going to be £510 or so tomoz?

no, it will be £499....or a new model will be.

Electrical goods have been falling in price for many years. I think the VAT on fuel is going to hurt the hardest, as it is on top of prices that are already rising faster than general inflation.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Total con. An LG TV I bought last year was exactly the same price in the sale (though a newer model).

The problem is that these items tend to go out of date almost as soon as bought, or stop working/fall to bits so they will get you with a VAT hike eventually.

I was looking at washing machines one manufacturer had 63 different current model numbers...most of them were very similar or the same machine....makes you wonder. ;)

HOLA448
HOLA449

I was looking at washing machines one manufacturer had 63 different current model numbers...most of them were very similar or the same machine....makes you wonder. ;)

Well when we cleared out and sold my parents home, they still had their original microwave, huge thing, must have been at least twenty years old or so. Indeed I was reluctant to turn it on and show the buyer! I've been through perhaps 3 or 4 microwaves and I'm not even a big microwave user (though to be fair, neither were my parents).

TV's, despite being solid state, I doubt will last as long as some CRT models. MY LG became out of date almost immediately because its built in Freeview tuner cant handle HD (despite being 1080P capable). Since the days of "On Digital" must have through three set top boxes now (one blew up and tripped the circuit breakers).

OK the need for HD TV is not too important, but I suspect accelerated built in obsolense with get you in the end, especially in respect of toasters and kettles which seem designed now to blow up, just out of warranty!

This idea that "chinese tat" is cheap is nonsense. You have to replace it two or three times more often!

Edited by Sir John Steed

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I have decided to offset the increase in petrol prices by drinking less wine. I think the government will find raising taxes will be self-defeating in the end. Tax people too much and they start doing jobs for cash etc.

Why not brew your own (wine) and get a bike? Hit the feckers from both directions <_<

HOLA4414

Why not brew your own (wine) and get a bike? Hit the feckers from both directions <_<

People are already selling bootleg vodka in manchester, a van with a indistinct Eastern European accent comes round in a white van now and again. It used to be £2 for a litre (min purchase 10 bottles).

They initially did not purify it enough and it made a few people go blind, today it passes the burn test and my dad thinks it is great (my dad is a legend in the South west as he made loads of moonshine much like my grandad who used to make loads of it having been in the merchant navy)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

People are already selling bootleg vodka in manchester, a van with a indistinct Eastern European accent comes round in a white van now and again. It used to be £2 for a litre (min purchase 10 bottles).

They initially did not purify it enough and it made a few people go blind, today it passes the burn test and my dad thinks it is great (my dad is a legend in the South west as he made loads of moonshine much like my grandad who used to make loads of it having been in the merchant navy)

I just bought a 70cl bottle of stolichnaya elit for £10 off a friendly eastern european chap. Normally retails about £50.

HOLA4418

Miliband pisses me off no end. He wants nothing cut, he wants no tax rises.

This pathetic dialogue between Labour and the coalition will result in bugger all done until it is too late ... and then Miliband will see that there are far, far worse things than cutting housing benefit ... like not being able to feed people.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

HMRC are in meltdown.

They have a completely dysfunctional top management who have no background in tax or accountancy.

"I don't know, I'm not an accountant"

How a HMRC bigwig replied to commons committee question..... sat there on his fat @rse right in front of them and admitted he wasn't qualified to answer tax related questions :lol:

HOLA4421

Just returned from renewing my monthly season ticket (train plus travel card). Price up from £286 to £351.........

I balked. The lady selling the ticket balked. The queue balked.

That's £65 monthly increase, £780 pa EXTRA out of NETT INCOME.

This afternoon I found a HMRC brown envelope. My heart skipped a beat. Dated inside 18 Nov, you guessed it my income tax coding was incorrect from last April. Yes, I owe them £888 (out of NETT) and I'm PAYE.

There is absolutely no way house prices are going up. There is absolutely no way house prices will plateau.

Petrol up. Tax up. VAT up. Commuting up.

Then in April this year tax up again.

The HPC Mk II is here everyone. The next 2-3 years are going to be stinkers. This is going to affect everyone. Don't gloat.

HOLA4422

So people have happily sat back while inflation has run over 2% for 40 out of 49 months, yet suddenly start throwing their rattles about over a 2.1% VAT rise. They really need to wake up!

...look better late at realising than never realising...It is now open knowledge that house prices WILL be coming down....Increase in VAT will increase inflation, high inflation means higher interest rates....having just the lower house prices would have been fine by me....but now they are looking to realising both. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4423

Of all the taxes VAT is the most unfair as it targets all equally when in fact a greater percentage of tax should be levied on the wealthier.

I fully agree. Taxes should be either progressive, or at least have a flat rate.

The main tax missing in Britain is a Property Value Tax, same flat rate, say 1%, but for all properties, and without a cap.

Council Tax charges around 1% only for cheap properties, and then the rate goes down for more expensive properties, absurdly, and then there is a a cap (!), of around £3,000/year, usually. Hence, mansions pay a ridiculously low rate! Absurd.

If the poor has to pay 1%/year, I can't see why the rich can pay a lower rate.

:)

HOLA4424

Thanks Ken, I've learned something:

A common folk test for the quality of moonshine was to pour a small quantity of it into a spoon and set it alight. The theory was that a safe distillate burns with a blue flame, but a tainted distillate burns with a yellow flame. Practitioners of this simple test also held that if a radiator coil had been used as a condenser, then there would be lead in the distillate, which would give a reddish flame. This led to the phrase, "Lead burns red and makes you dead."[10] Although the flame test will show the presence of lead and fusel oils, it will not reveal the presence of methanol, which burns with an invisible flame

HOLA4425

I fully agree. Taxes should be either progressive, or at least have a flat rate.

The main tax missing in Britain is a Property Value Tax, same flat rate, say 1%, but for all properties, and without a cap.

Council Tax charges around 1% only for cheap properties, and then the rate goes down for more expensive properties, absurdly, and then there is a a cap (!), of around £3,000/year, usually. Hence, mansions pay a ridiculously low rate! Absurd.

If the poor has to pay 1%/year, I can't see why the rich can pay a lower rate.

:)

Good Grief, Tired of Waiting , we have finally found something we both truly agree on. We both agree VAT is unfair on the poorest in our society.

A good omen for 2011 B)