House Price Crash Forum
Ologhai Jones

V A T Rise Will Hit Disabled, Black Lesbians

BBC website: VAT rise will hit families, warns Miliband.

The VAT rise will hit everyone who buys anything which is subject to VAT, you idiot.

New Year, old discrimination.

Speaking ahead of Tuesday's VAT increase from 17.5% to 20%, Mr Miliband will claim it will cost the average family £7.50 a week.

Hard-working families will surely have to cough up a lot more than £7.50 a week if we're going to make a dent in the deficit. Perhaps if there were fewer not-hard-working families...

Actually, considering Miliband is no doubt trying to make things sound as bad as he can, £7.50 a week doesn't sound scary enough. Must try harder.

The VAT rise will hit everyone who buys anything which is subject to VAT, you idiot.

New Year, old discrimination.

Hard-working families will surely have to cough up a lot more than £7.50 a week if we're going to make a dent in the deficit. Perhaps if there were fewer not-hard-working families...

Actually, considering Miliband is no doubt trying to make things sound as bad as he can, £7.50 a week doesn't sound scary enough. Must try harder.

Of all the taxes VAT is the most unfair as it targets all equally when in fact a greater percentage of tax should be levied on the wealthier.

No, not if we spend £10 less per week....such as:

Giving up smoking,

Stop eating take aways,

Stop buying processed foods

Brew our own beer and wine

Bake our own bread

Buying non-perishable foods in bulk

Shopping every fortnight

Stop using the trains unless you have to

Share travel to work using alternate cars

Shop around and bater/negotiate for goods and services

There are loads we can do....do not pay the price...and enjoy saving money....you know it makes sense Rodney. ;)

Of all the taxes VAT is the most unfair as it targets all equally when in fact a greater percentage of tax should be levied on the wealthier.

Try again.

The essentials - things you can't live without - are still zero-rated. You only pay VAT if you lead an affluent lifestyle.

Giving up smoking,

Stop eating take aways,

Bake our own bread

Shopping every fortnight

There are loads we can do....do not pay the price...and enjoy saving money....you know it makes sense Rodney. ;)

Buy your cigarettes from a bootlegger

Put your local take away out of business

Buy your beer and wine from a bootlegger

Buy your bread from Asda

Get membership of Costco for bulk food purchase

Shop every fortnight

What trains?

Buy a cheaper running diesel car

Pay cash only in the black/grey economy

See, you can have your cake and eat it.

Giving up smoking,

Stop eating take aways,

Bake our own bread

Shopping every fortnight

I have decided to offset the increase in petrol prices by drinking less wine. I think the government will find raising taxes will be self-defeating in the end. Tax people too much and they start doing jobs for cash etc.

It is also one the easiest to collect and hardest to avoid for the rich. At least food is exempt. The 50% top rate tax is also there for the wealthier. I doubt anyone will even notice such a piddling increase, it will not effect general consumer behavior. Anyone who can afford to spend £1000 will not be put off by £21 extra VAT on it.

Buy your bread from Asda

Shop every fortnight

What trains?

Indeed. We buy 90% of our meat and household stuff from Costco and save a fortune. Not only that, the quality of their food is restaurant quality. If you buy "dated" stuff you save even more. Bought a massive Turkey breast for Crimbo for £10 reduced from £20.

Cant recommend them for electricals though--TVs etc best at Amazon IMO.

Buy your bread from Asda

Shop every fortnight

What trains?

Does that worry you?....needs must. :P

There will always be those that will continue spending whether they have the money or not....what I am saying having less rather than excess in your life can be a big leveler and make you overall happier in your outlook and way of thinking, when so many have so little....it is only an alternative way of thinking, in fact have you ever thought that some people may feel guilty about spending money.......when I look at people I have been associated with over the years, and have watched their extravagance, waste and excess it has kind of turned my stomach somewhat....happy days. :D

The VAT is killing our economy, and we don't need it. The VAT brings in £75 billion pounds a year. We are already borrowing 175 billion pounds a year. So might as well just print and borrow an extra 75 billion.

The fear of printing is that it will lead to inflation. Yet getting rid of the VAT would immediately drop inflation by 17.5%.

as I posted before, is something in Currys £499 today going to be £510 or so tomoz?

no, it will be £499....or a new model will be.

as I posted before, is something in Currys £499 today going to be £510 or so tomoz?

no, it will be £499....or a new model will be.

Why do we keep needing new models....my old washing machine lasted 12 years no probs...the last two have been given up for dead both within 18 months.....the warranty (total waste of money imo) costs £76 per year after the first 12 months....making money from all directions.

The new model should be a twin tub and mangle. ;)

Try again.

The essentials - things you can't live without - are still zero-rated. You only pay VAT if you lead an affluent lifestyle.

Not quite sure what planet you are on......

So an adult, who happens to be hard up, on the minimum wage etc etc etc doesn't pay VAT on clothes (an essential item)? Hardly an affluent lifestyle.

Keep trying old stick and engage brain.

Do the arithmetic and it is shocking.

He's telling us the average hard-working family spends £300 a week (excluding VAT) on non-essential stuff. That of course excludes essentials like food. Scary or what?

Edited by porca misèria

It is also one the easiest to collect and hardest to avoid for the rich. At least food is exempt. The 50% top rate tax is also there for the wealthier. I doubt anyone will even notice such a piddling increase, it will not effect general consumer behavior. Anyone who can afford to spend £1000 will not be put off by £21 extra VAT on it.

Really?

Here's an example for you.

On Christmas Eve I drove into a hedge, paint damage only to my car. Estimate from main dealer £3000 incl VAT

Subsequent phone call FROM dealer, pay cash, avoid VAT, £2,100

You are, in my opinion, so wrong about VAT. There will be a huge swell of the black and grey economy.

We have reached the saturation point in tax on the individual and their way of living.

Why do we keep needing new models....my old washing machine lasted 12 years no probs...the last two have been given up for dead both within 18 months.....the warranty (total waste of money imo) costs £76 per year after the first 12 months....making money from all directions.

The new model should be a twin tub and mangle. ;)

computer stuff and TVs seem to have a life cycle of 1 month on the shelves as the new ones come out, bigger better faster....so they say.

Really?

On Christmas Eve I drove into a hedge, paint damage only to my car. Estimate from main dealer £3000 incl VAT

You are, in my opinion, so wrong about VAT. There will be a huge swell of the black and grey economy.

We have reached the saturation point in tax on the individual and their way of living.

Scary, but tax revenues could really fall as the Tories go over the tipping point with high tax rates.

I remember back in 2001 Vladmir Putin threw out Russia's old tax system.. which was the vastly complex overtaxing Soviet tax system. Putin's new tax system was a simple 13% flat tax. The next year tax revenues doubled. As for that fair rate, you might as well bring everything above board.

It must already be very large how much of our economy is going on under the table.

computer stuff and TVs seem to have a life cycle of 1 month on the shelves as the new ones come out, bigger better faster....so they say.

...nah! just a ploy for you to part with your money...the guys at work have great pleasure demonstrating showing off all their apt...I bought my one and only mobile phone about eight years ago, apart from a new battery it still can make phone calls. ;)

It must already be very large how much of our economy is going on under the table.

You'd be susprised, when I worked as an accountant sometimes the owner of the biz would accidentally include extra invoices all businesses are supposed to keep numbered and coloured invoices. Sometimes you'd see a yellow invoice along with a blue one both numbered the same (the blue ones were the above board ones).

Or if you go to any wholesaler like Fiddlers (nice pun) the owners will politely ask how do you want it split? As taxes go up the encourgement to fiddle grows even greater as the risk vs rewards keep growing.

When income tax is increased again in April and again next april and again after that the incentive to cheat will be huge.

...nah! just a ploy for you to part with your money...the guys at work have great pleasure demonstrating showing off all their apt...I bought my one and only mobile phone about eight years ago, apart from a new battery it still can make phone calls. ;)

no wonder I cant get through to you. you are surrounded by guys showing off their equipment.

Scary, but tax revenues could really fall as the Tories go over the tipping point with high tax rates.

I remember back in 2001 Vladmir Putin threw out Russia's old tax system.. which was the vastly complex overtaxing Soviet tax system. Putin's new tax system was a simple 13% flat tax. The next year tax revenues doubled. As for that fair rate, you might as well bring everything above board.

Whereas in the past I baulked but always paid and never knowingly cheated on payment of tax I am now going to make it my business to avoid wherever and whenever possible to avoid VAT.

I will not be alone. Apart from the fact that almost every tradesman is already fiddling the system, consumers will begin to demand they enjoy the perks too.

It will only be the mugs who enter a shop and pay list or RRP. Poor old shopkeeper gets it in the neck again due to Govt policy.

nokia-3110-evolve.jpg

my phone is similar to this.

No camera, no facebook etc.

Do you all hate me now? Am I a outcast? Will you still invite me to your wealth/BTL property boasting dinner parties?

Don't the wealthy buy more expensive things, and therefore pay more VAT?

We should be looking at making tax avoidance more difficult, that is where the wealthy really have a significant advantage over your regular PAYE prole.

Whereas in the past I baulked but always paid and never knowingly cheated on payment of tax I am now going to make it my business to avoid wherever and whenever possible to avoid VAT.

I will not be alone. Apart from the fact that almost every tradesman is already fiddling the system, consumers will begin to demand they enjoy the perks too.

It will only be the mugs who enter a shop and pay list or RRP. Poor old shopkeeper gets it in the neck again due to Govt policy.

Heh play.com already go via Guernsey. Some Amazon small electricals also go via the channel islands. Thing is HMRC keeps a database of all transactions with guernsey though.

Really?

I hope you passed on a report of this criminal to HMRC. That kind of difference implies rather large scale tax-evasion, casting the burden onto the honest.