House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will!

The Start Of Biggest Reform Of Local Government Since 1835

Half of English councils yet to publish spending data

More than half of councils in England have yet to comply with government demands to publish their spending, with a month to go before the deadline.

Of 354 local authorities, 144 have released the information, and the rest have until the end of January.

Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles, who wants all spending above £500 itemised online, criticised the "slowcoach councils" yet to comply.

However, councils will not be legally forced to publish the information.

Mr Pickles, who called on councils six months ago to start publishing spending online from September, said: "In 2011 I would like to see every council make their new year's resolution to cut more waste and fully open their books up to public scrutiny."

This potenially the start of the biggest reform to local government since the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835. No surprise some of them are dragging their feet. Let's see where the rotten boroughs are!

Im a bit more concerned about whether my local council is providing decent schools and care for the elderly thank you - and more money wasted on accountants churning out meaningless data means less resources spent on what is needed!

You are an idiot.

It should reveal the usual stuff, massive nepotisim and corruption in the form of payments to schemes\companies\contractors\suppliers linked to council officals. Frankly, some councils will be shitting themselves.

The best reform to local councils would be one that improves efficiency rather than just cuts services to the public. To that end I'd make all councils into unitary authorities. In those areas served by both district and county councils, I'd abolish all the districts and hand all powers and assets over to counties. I find it bizarre that amid all the (entirely justified) wailing and gnashing of teeth over cuts to council services, hardly anyone is suggesting forcing councils to become unitary. Of course, civil parish, town or neighbourhoody councils would remain.

Then we'd have

Tier 1: Unitary council - county, city or borough.

Tier 2: Town, parish or neighbourhood council.