House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pole

The Nanny State Is Back Big Time!

You couldn't make it up. The same governement that pledged to stop lecturing people - now they help Mars and Nestle promote healthy foods!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: They should have asked McDonalds and Pepsi to contribute, too!

Sadly, it's just another campaign to keep people buying low-fat and high-carb foods (that make them obese)!

BBC LINK

REUTERS LINK (more informative)

Families in England are to be offered £250m in vouchers in a bid to encourage them to eat healthily and exercise.

Food vouchers, nutritional advice and discounted activities are all part of Change4Life's "Great Swapathon".

The food and fitness industries are paying for the tokens, as part of the government's plans to involve business in the promotion of healthy living.

Companies supporting the government's scheme include Asda, Birds Eye, Unilever, Nestle, Mars, Warburtons and Weight Watchers.

The News of the World weekly, owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, will distribute three million books of vouchers; Asda, the British arm of U.S. retailer Wal-Mart, will hand out a million; and community groups a further million.

Millions in England will get 50 pounds' worth of vouchers offering discounts on foods such as low-fat yogurts, wholegrain rice, frozen vegetables, fruit and alcohol-free lager.

You couldn't make it up. The same governement that pledged to stop lecturing people - now they help Mars and Nestle promote healthy foods!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: They should have asked McDonalds and Pepsi to contribute, too!

Sadly, it's just another campaign to keep people buying low-fat and high-carb foods (that make them obese)!

BBC LINK

REUTERS LINK (more informative)

Families in England are to be offered £250m in vouchers in a bid to encourage them to eat healthily and exercise.

Food vouchers, nutritional advice and discounted activities are all part of Change4Life's "Great Swapathon".

The food and fitness industries are paying for the tokens, as part of the government's plans to involve business in the promotion of healthy living.

Companies supporting the government's scheme include Asda, Birds Eye, Unilever, Nestle, Mars, Warburtons and Weight Watchers.

The News of the World weekly, owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, will distribute three million books of vouchers; Asda, the British arm of U.S. retailer Wal-Mart, will hand out a million; and community groups a further million.

Millions in England will get 50 pounds' worth of vouchers offering discounts on foods such as low-fat yogurts, wholegrain rice, frozen vegetables, fruit and alcohol-free lager.

Large-scale training exercise in future food stamps distribution?

Rice and lager with long shelf life are perfect for survivalists too :P

Large-scale training exercise in future food stamps distribution?

Rice and lager with long shelf life are perfect for survivalists too :P

rice requires LOTS of fuel to turn into an edible state. Compare with oats or wheat which can be ground into a paste with just water.

So the chavs can sell their 50 pounds of 'healthy eating' vouchers to the middle class for 25 pounds and then use the money to buy their Big Mac and beer. So everyone benefits.

Hey. I like this.

Labour never gave us a discount on low-fat yoghurt.

Looks like Mars Bars are on special, too. And Kellogs.

I don't agree that this is Nanny State, 'cause stuff like Corn Flakes has no nutritional value whatsoever until you add milk and sugar. And perfect for junkies 'cause it's quick.

I'm a bit worried about the frozen veg, 'cause some of it gets close to real food, even though it's three times the price and not as good.

Anyway, I'm just glad the Coalition have solved unemployment and the economy an'all and are scratching around for things to do.

It's all bull****

I get vouchers through the post from Morrisons, sainsbury and Tesco all the time and i am guessing this will be no different.

Asda sell s**te, mostly ready meals and it would be very hard to come out of there with anything nutritional. They also treat their suppliers like children and fine them to buggery if there are stock issues (they will then remove the chairs so you have to stand and listen to s**t for hours) that is the reason if a supplier has something people would like to buy anyway then Asda won't stock it as they've annoyed the supplier so much that they go elsewhere.

I guess the boomers will be to blame for this as well :lol:

Neat that they've come up with that scheme just as VAT is going to increase.

Edited by billybong

This is what's known as 'libertarian paternalism' as championed by US academic Richard Thaler and adopted by the government's Behavioural Insight Team. Instead of coercion (e.g. the smoking ban) the aim is to 'nudge' consumers towards making better choices using various choice architecture. It can be pretty effective but if you ask me it's normally the soft option taken by over-cautious politicians. This voucher scheme seems particularly pointless. I prefer Waltham Forest Council's approach of refusing planning permission for hot food takeaways within 400m of schools, youth facilities and parks.

Edited by Orsino

It's all bull****

I get vouchers through the post from Morrisons, sainsbury and Tesco all the time and i am guessing this will be no different.

Howdya cook your junkmail for a healthy diet?

Howdya cook your junkmail for a healthy diet?

I think you'd have to steep it in plenty of water until it turned to a mush, then use fairly effective filters to remove the (possibly toxic) inks, and then eat the resulting cellulose. Cooking it like porridge with some flavouring would probably help. Very little nutritional content but plenty of fibre, so it's actually better than corn flakes.

In fact, it might save you money, as it's cheaper than fibre drinks such as Senokot Hi-Fibre and Fybogel or bran cereals.

A free allotment with 20 quids worth of seeds would have been better, well not for the supermarkets.

indeed.

mixing up the exercise and healthy eating has to be a good idea.

During the war they used all sorts of places for allotments (think one picture is of a football ground)

rice requires LOTS of fuel to turn into an edible state. Compare with oats or wheat which can be ground into a paste with just water.

Maybe you just don't know how to cook it properly? :P:P:P

Surely 3 billion or so people living in South Asia know how to cook rice using minimum fuel? Otherwise we would see mass deforestation in South Asia just like Haiti

The signup website was crashing yesterday and again today.

Today it says

Email already exists in our database. Please use a different email.

Followed by

We didn't find your email. Please enter a valid email.

Then on question 11 the error is

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /Home/Error