House Price Crash Forum

Iphone Alarm Clock Problem

Pole

HOLA441

The most overpriced gadget in history made for peanuts by slaves in China, and guess what - the gadget doesn't even work... :lol:

The BBC has even the 'Your comments' about it. As someone said before, our human intelligence has started going down very steeply over the last few decades... BTW, am I the last one to use an alarm clock???

I had two alarms set for 0400 to get my family up and to Birmingham airport for 0500. Alarms failed! We missed the 0700 flight to Turin and had to pay over £1,000 for flights to Chambery. I'm typing this from a private taxi trying to get to Sestriere for our ski holiday! Far, far, far from happy!

I work in a hospital and I am required to be there on some weekends and holidays. On both January 1 and 2 my iPhone 3Gs did not go off to wake me up. A warning or notification would have been nice.

I am a flight attendant for a major US airline and I had a 0715 show time this morning (January 2). I set my alarm like I always do for 0510. I rolled over and saw light coming through my window and the clock said 0807. My flight was scheduled to depart at 0815. I had missed my show time and my flight because they had to re-crew it. It cost me three points against my work history too!

I use the alarm on my iPhone every night so I can check on my young son, he has type 1 diabetes and it is essential I check his blood sugar levels in the night to stop any potentially dangerous hypos (low blood sugar) and hypers (high blood sugar). Luckily I woke up two minutes after my alarm was due to go off so I could still check on my son. I know several other parents who do the same and slept through because of this problem, it is a heart stopping moment when you sleep through an alarm that is vital for the safety of your children. I never had this problem with my iPhone last year.

We set our iPhone alarm to wake us up in time to get ready and drive to the Chiefs game in Kansas City. If the people who came over to ride with us hadn't showed up we probably would have missed the game completely. We had to jump out of bed, throw on our clothes and run out to door. If we had known that we couldn't rely on the iPhone we would have set an alarm clock. Very inconvenient!!!!

HOLA442

There was some bloke on the news who rang up Apple and they told him to go to the Apple shop allegedly - where they then told him that the fix was a day or two away.

If I was an Apple customer and I had rang them only for them to tell me to go to the shop - why couldn't they tell him on the phone - I would be p*ssed.

Anyhow, to hear them whinge as if the World had ended is amazing.

A friend of mine told me a few years back that Apple make computers for those who can't work PCs and that is their core market. People who just want a gadget that works but when it does not they go into some big sulk. I think he was right.

HOLA443

When I had just left school, I had taken on a an early morning job in Summer (only 3 hours), I'd only been there a few days, I set the alarm on my phone and the alarm on my alarm clock. The phone ran out of battery and there was a powercut in the night which reset my alarm clock. I completely overslept and figured I'd got up early, so made a brew and some weetabix and went to turn on the news.

blink.gif

I missed the entire 3 hours and it was about finishing time for them. I quickly rang, to explain what had happened, they said if I was going to make up an excuse I should at least make up something believable, or admit to drinking too much. I pointed out I was being completely honest and was promptly fired laugh.gif

HOLA444

When I had just left school, I had taken on a an early morning job in Summer (only 3 hours), I'd only been there a few days, I set the alarm on my phone and the alarm on my alarm clock. The phone ran out of battery and there was a powercut in the night which reset my alarm clock. I completely overslept and figured I'd got up early, so made a brew and some weetabix and went to turn on the news.

blink.gif

I missed the entire 3 hours and it was about finishing time for them. I quickly rang, to explain what had happened, they said if I was going to make up an excuse I should at least make up something believable, or admit to drinking too much. I pointed out I was being completely honest and was promptly fired laugh.gif

Unlucky - honesty is not best policy, AGAIN in liar liar culture UK.

HOLA445

The most overpriced gadget in history made for peanuts by slaves in China, and guess what - the gadget doesn't even work... :lol:

The funny part is that Apples were the only computers that weren't prone to the infamous, 1999/2000 millenium bug.

But as it turned out, no computers suffered from the millenium bug. If you remember, that was the most amazing hype ever and contractors made a fortune sending in teams of 'millenium-proofers'.

Gartner's, a leading IT analyst, predicted that Russia (which didn't bother hiring any millenium-proof contractors) would suffer catastrophe. It warned a US Senate committee that planes would fall out of the sky, Russian missiles would launch themselves and video-recorders would all forget the next soap episode on a global scale. The rest of us would get stuck in a lift.

But erm . . . nothing happened.

Edit: Just remembered, at the turn of that year, all US Embassy Staff from Ukraine were recalled with fears for their safety

Edited by copydude

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

You telling me my iPhone alarm will no longer work?

It works great.

It just has brand new app called Oversleep.

Future versions of Oversleep will let you determine whether you want to simply be late, miss the morning altogether or automatically call in and say you can't be bothered turning up at all.

HOLA4410

I don't get all this Apple is cool business either - I've seen chavs in shellsuits using iPhone and iPads, clearly they aren't that cool or am I missing something?

HOLA4411

I don't get all this Apple is cool business either - I've seen chavs in shellsuits using iPhone and iPads, clearly they aren't that cool or am I missing something?

People think that Apple is cool because they watch Apple's ads in which Apple says that Apple is cool. As a result they hope that by parting with their hard earned cash they'll be somehow cool, too.

To learn more about how companies brainwash masses I refer you to the book called 'Propaganda' (1928!) by Edward Bernays.

HOLA4412

The BBC has even the 'Your comments' about it. As someone said before, our human intelligence has started going down very steeply over the last few decades... BTW, am I the last one to use an alarm clock???

I had two alarms set for 0400 to get my family up and to Birmingham airport for 0500. Alarms failed! We missed the 0700 flight to Turin and had to pay over £1,000 for flights to Chambery. I'm typing this from a private taxi trying to get to Sestriere for our ski holiday! Far, far, far from happy!

I work in a hospital and I am required to be there on some weekends and holidays. On both January 1 and 2 my iPhone 3Gs did not go off to wake me up. A warning or notification would have been nice.

I am a flight attendant for a major US airline and I had a 0715 show time this morning (January 2). I set my alarm like I always do for 0510. I rolled over and saw light coming through my window and the clock said 0807. My flight was scheduled to depart at 0815. I had missed my show time and my flight because they had to re-crew it. It cost me three points against my work history too!

I use the alarm on my iPhone every night so I can check on my young son, he has type 1 diabetes and it is essential I check his blood sugar levels in the night to stop any potentially dangerous hypos (low blood sugar) and hypers (high blood sugar). Luckily I woke up two minutes after my alarm was due to go off so I could still check on my son. I know several other parents who do the same and slept through because of this problem, it is a heart stopping moment when you sleep through an alarm that is vital for the safety of your children. I never had this problem with my iPhone last year.

We set our iPhone alarm to wake us up in time to get ready and drive to the Chiefs game in Kansas City. If the people who came over to ride with us hadn't showed up we probably would have missed the game completely. We had to jump out of bed, throw on our clothes and run out to door. If we had known that we couldn't rely on the iPhone we would have set an alarm clock. Very inconvenient!!!!

Yes, I believe you are the last person to still use an alarm clock. I diched my alarm clock in favour of a phone about 12 years ago. The main advantage is that you can tell it to go off Monday to Friday, so you don't need to remember to set it the night before, and you don't get woken up early by it going off at the weekends.

I guess you will be telling me next that you still have one of those antique devices called a "watch"

HOLA4413

People think that Apple is cool because they watch Apple's ads in which Apple says that Apple is cool. As a result they hope that by parting with their hard earned cash they'll be somehow cool, too.

To learn more about how companies brainwash masses I refer you to the book called 'Propaganda' (1928!) by Edward Bernays.

This is brilliant timing for me, had a debate on New Years day with some friends who take the whole Apple propaganda to heart. For some reason Apple users really do seem to think that they are so very clever and are not hooked into the branding at all.

As a case study Apple must be an excellent one as they really do seem to have created an aspirational set of products that allow their users to feel special.

I was mocked for saying that I used to drink a particular lager brand as they were the shirt sponsers of my football team and would avoid others that were sponsers of rival teams - I am the brainwashed one apparently for choosing a lager that was invariably one of the cheapest on offer, They on the other hand all read the Guardian and are therefore somehow superior and so much cleverer than the rest of us and are not influenced by clever marketing practices at all....

HOLA4414

I guess you will be telling me next that you still have one of those antique devices called a "watch"

yep, I have a watch, I also use toilet paper instead of e-paper. I even drink vintage wine and 12 year old whisky - that's how old-fashioned I am! ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

If you had grown up with Apples, as I did, they were always streets ahead. In terms of multimedia, user-friendliness, plug and play and connectivity. And the user interface was always so nice.

There's not the huge gap there used to be between Apples and PCs, but the connectivity and user interface is still quite nice, which I guess is why people like iPhones. I don't know, I wouldn't want an iPhone, iPod or iPad . . . it's gismo generation stuff that you hardly need and that many old analog products can do better.

HOLA4417

I get an iphone 4 as a little perk through my work, all bills paid. I loved it for a while, some of the apps are great, but now the noveltys worn off, I use it simply as a 'telephone' a 'watch' and an 'alarm clock'.

so thank f*k I've not forked out £500 or am on some kind of ridiculously expensive contract :blink:

HOLA4418

I get an iphone 4 as a little perk through my work, all bills paid. I loved it for a while, some of the apps are great, but now the noveltys worn off, I use it simply as a 'telephone' a 'watch' and an 'alarm clock'.

so thank f*k I've not forked out £500 or am on some kind of ridiculously expensive contract :blink:

I have an i-phone, and would comment that it is by far the best piece of technology I've ever owned. Well designed, and above all, very user-friendly. I'd recommend one to anyone, and pay just over £40/mth for mine over 2 years for a great bundle of calls (1200 or 1500 minutes), unlimited texts and web browsing. The quality of the camera and video camera mean there's a couple of extra products I don't need to buy. I don't need any music storage via an ipod. So far, it's saving me money over my other phone contract and offers me a world of connectivity I didn't think I needed.

I'm sure there are other phones that do all the above, and I never saw the benefits till I actually got the I-phone, but having upgraded it's a tool I can not do without.

HOLA4419

I have an i-phone, and would comment that it is by far the best piece of technology I've ever owned. Well designed, and above all, very user-friendly. I'd recommend one to anyone, and pay just over £40/mth for mine over 2 years for a great bundle of calls (1200 or 1500 minutes), unlimited texts and web browsing. The quality of the camera and video camera mean there's a couple of extra products I don't need to buy. I don't need any music storage via an ipod. So far, it's saving me money over my other phone contract and offers me a world of connectivity I didn't think I needed.

I'm sure there are other phones that do all the above, and I never saw the benefits till I actually got the I-phone, but having upgraded it's a tool I can not do without.

Ditto. I paid the £500 upfront (sold my 3G and notebook for £350!). The video quality is astonishing and I always wanted one of those anyway so saved hundreds. It seamlessly pulls all my outlook, emails and contacts from the computer. If I use FaceTime (free video calls) it interferes with the golfs alarm parked on the drive (sets the alarm off and winds down all the windows, useful if I ever lock my keys inside the car) and it does everything else very well.

HOLA4420

No wonder Tech stocks have soared - Hedge Funds have been gobbling up NASDAQ stocks.

Apple Is Now Held By 190 Hedge Funds, And Other Groupthink Observations

Perusing the latest hedge fund trend monitor from Goldman Sachs, we find that the world's biggest groupthink stock and hedge fund hotel, Apple Corp (APPL) has just been upgraded from 5 stars to 6 stars. Compared to our last update, when we uncovered that a whopping 181 funds were long the name, this number has subsequently risen even more, and most recently 190 hedge funds (not including mutual funds) were long the name. Should the company, which is priced beyond perfection, have some unpleasant news to report ever in its future, just hedge funds will need at least 2 straight days to liquidate their holdings in the name.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/apple-now-held-190-hedge-funds-and-other-groupthink-observations

HOLA4421

No wonder Tech stocks have soared - Hedge Funds have been gobbling up NASDAQ stocks.

Apple Is Now Held By 190 Hedge Funds, And Other Groupthink Observations

http://www.zerohedge...nk-observations

They'll be looking to offload those to the "punters" at bubble prices fairly soon. Apple is overvalued by a country mile and there are lots of new tablets (Android and Windows7) coming out that are as good or better than the iPad and the situation is similar for phones. I can't see Apple a) holding current prices and b] holding market share.

So rather than listen to the next wave of buy Apple Shares, make sure you can short them when the time is right.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4422

They'll be looking to offload those to the "punters" at bubble prices fairly soon. Apple is overvalued by a country mile and there are lots of new tablets (Android and Windows7) coming out that are as good or better than the iPad and the situation is similar for phones. I can't see Apple a) holding current prices and b] holding market share.

So rather than listen to the next wave of buy Apple Shares, make sure you can short them when the time is right.

The problem with Apple stock now is that Apple has to achieve sales even better than last year... or the year before... just to stand still on profits... which is a bad sign for any stock... and because it is now so over-priced any correction on Apple stocks has the potential to drag the rest of the NASDAQ down with it.

It appears to me that Apple have to convince all those iphone 4 users to go out and buy an iphone 5 this Summer... and get an awful lot of people to buy an ipad...

HOLA4423

Yes! iPoop madness is a bubble! :huh:

HOLA4424

HOLA4425

Ditto. I paid the £500 upfront (sold my 3G and notebook for £350!). The video quality is astonishing and I always wanted one of those anyway so saved hundreds. It seamlessly pulls all my outlook, emails and contacts from the computer. If I use FaceTime (free video calls) it interferes with the golfs alarm parked on the drive (sets the alarm off and winds down all the windows, useful if I ever lock my keys inside the car) and it does everything else very well.

Facetime is superb, I can see my 6 month old son at home when I call the wife on the desktop mac from work, genius. & yep camera & video great too.