House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Ebay Question

Just lost out on a bid on ebay. Item started off at £60, seller stated intended worth of £400 which is about right. When it came to 1 min, the bids kept increasing up to £90 at which point I lost out. However looking at the bids it seems I was the ONLY one to have bid up and up!! If this is the case how come it kept saying I needed to increase my bid as the latest bid kept going up (I could see the price increasing before my eyes).

The buyer I suspect was probably also the seller but how is this sort of thing done?? Any savvy ebayers out there?

Just lost out on a bid on ebay. Item started off at £60, seller stated intended worth of £400 which is about right. When it came to 1 min, the bids kept increasing up to £90 at which point I lost out. However looking at the bids it seems I was the ONLY one to have bid up and up!! If this is the case how come it kept saying I needed to increase my bid as the latest bid kept going up (I could see the price increasing before my eyes).

The buyer I suspect was probably also the seller but how is this sort of thing done?? Any savvy ebayers out there?

You need to google eBay shill scams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10494724

It's better than it used to be as you can see relationship bidding in stats now.

In the past it was free for all you'd see people bid and bid then go over YOUR real bid then withdraw the last bid.

What are automatic bids.......? These appear to be the ones that outdid me (all by same person)

Hammersnipe maybe? You get 3 free bids on which to erm bid it can be anywhere from 1 minute to 12 seconds before the auction ends.

What are automatic bids.......? These appear to be the ones that outdid me (all by same person)

You can set up eBay to bid if someone outbids you. The problem with this IMPO is that someone can drive up the unsuspecting bidder without them realising what is going on.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/etoday/automatic-bidding-on-ebay-capae.html

Finally, another favoured method to spot a shill bidder is to look at how much the bids are increasing by. Usually a shill bidder will only place a Nibbler" bid, this is a bid that is only slightly higher than your bid but then puts the impetuous on you to bid on the item again. The shill bidder will keep on bidding until you stop, they will then retract their final bid leaving you to pay for the item at a higher price than you should have paid!

There are automated software tools and online services who do either automatic bidding or snipe bidding.

From the above link:

There are however, some automated services available on the internet which reside on servers which are always on and provide a timed bid facility. They scan the eBay auction which has been entered at the time of initiation and determine the current winning bid. At the time of close of the auction, they feed another bid with the required amount so that the winning bid is theirs.

The software can be used for a variety of auctions like the English auction, the second highest auction and the open auction to name a few. They are custom made and can also be effectively be used to evade Twain marks, or the symbol entry facility being increasingly used today to evade automated programs. The security of your eBay id and password are however threatened by some not so certified software agents.

Snipe bidding is gaining popularity and the sniping software is getting more and more advanced. The advantages of sniping on eBay are many which include prevention of nasty emotional bid wars where people keep bidding and counter biding each other. This leads to an overpriced auction, not advantageous to the final winner of the bid. The process of the auction is getting automated and soon it just might become a case of a software winning against another on eBay. Snipe bidding is advantageous to an auction bidder and an accepted practice today. Try it and you might benefit. But for guys like me, we will have to walk to the nearest store get what I desired; at the price the shopkeeper dreamt of.

Jesus, tried to get an email to ebay but it's like Fort Knox, all I want to do is write a damn email!

I e-mailed the seller who said they will send something to my home address for free (we had a long conversation about guitars prior to this bid ending)...

If someone places 1 bid for much more than you and then you keep bidding in increments, pushing the price up, it will show all your individual bids but only show their bid once.

the seller can not bid.

if the price is £20 and you put in a max bid of £50 then I put in a bid of £55 then feebay will show you continuously bidding upto your £50 max and then you are out.

Rather than putting in a max bid and letting others bid against it you are far better, if you can be on at the time that the auction finishes, putting in your max bid in the last few seconds.

Cant be arsed explaining but if u want something and max price u will goto is £50 then u have a better chance and will likely get it cheaper if you just put the bid of £50 in in the last 20 secs than beforehand.

Jesus, maybe I was beaten by a programme then. I HATE that. What's the f***ing point, what a con.

I think that's just the way that eBay always works. Suppose you're interested in a camera whose current price is £20, and you put in a bid of £100. The price doesn't jump straight to £100, but only high enough to outbid the current high bidder; so if they've bid £25 then the price will rise to say £26 and you'll become the highest bidder. If someone else comes along and bids £30 then your bid will increase to £31 (or something: there are minimum increments required to outbid a particular price and I'm not sure what they are), and so on until you eventually get outbid. I think what's happened in your case is that someone's put in a high bid at the start and then you've come along towards the end of the auction and nudged the price up with repeated bids, but not enough to outbid the original high bidder. There are various scams, and also programs which'll automatically rebid when you get outbid, but I don't think that's happened here.

See http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/automatic-bidding.html

Edit: bid increments listed here: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/bid-increments.html

If you were the only bidder (not clear) then it might have been due there being a reserve perhaps.

If you were the only bidder (not clear) then it might have been due there being a reserve perhaps.

nope. You do not add bids yourself just because there is a reserve. The bidding system works just like an auction house.

must of been a reserve if you were the only bidder.

contact the buyer and ask them what they want for the item then make them an offer.

thin about it: if it's worth £400 why would the seller give it away.

nope. You do not add bids yourself just because there is a reserve. The bidding system works just like an auction house.

Been a long time since I found anything worth buying on ebay, but that's certainly how I seem to remember it working if there was a reserve above your current bid and below your max.

But I maybe wrong.

Been a long time since I found anything worth buying on ebay, but that's certainly how I seem to remember it working if there was a reserve above your current bid and below your max.

But I maybe wrong.

if the reserve is £100, my current bid is £20 but my max is £80 the system will not increment my bid upto the reserve. I can only bid against others and if no one else is interested then the price will not move and the item will go unsold.

More likely that when looking at the bid history he has not clicked on the 'automatic bids' icon to show all of the system bids made on behalf of someone with a higher maximum.

But I maybe wrong.

If that happens then I think a message comes up (maybe in red) saying something like "You are currently the high bidder, but the reserve price has not yet been met." It may also suggest that you should bid again if you want to try to reach the reserve.

Definitely wasn't a reserve issue...

I never knew that if you put in a max bid it could do it for you incrementally... I always thought I I whacked on £100 it would show up immediately. I remember when ebay used to be simple.

If there's something I want, I put in a "sensible" maximum bid! Maybe I'll get it cheaper, somebody wants it more, or the seller will outbid me in a shill!

Surely then, he has then bought it himself, and liable for sellers fees! :huh:

Rather than putting in a max bid and letting others bid against it you are far better, if you can be on at the time that the auction finishes, putting in your max bid in the last few seconds.

That is precisely what I do. I have a radio signal clock by my computer (i.e. it's accurate to the second), and if am willing to pay, say, £20 for an item, I will enter that bid 2-3 seconds before the auction closes. I will not add that item to any watchlist or view the page while I am logged on to Ebay before I place the bid, so that neither the seller nor anyone else can know that I am interested before I put the bid in (unless sellers have some way of tracking anonymous page views via IP address, which I've never been able to find whenever I've sold stuff on Ebay). The disadvantage is that if an existing bid is higher than your ceiling, you have no time to put in a better option. But the advantage is that if it's lower, neither do they. Besides, almost all the items I buy on Ebay are not ones that I'd shed any tears over not winning, and so it's no skin off my nose.

Of course this technique is not possible if you're not able to be at your computer at the moment the auction closes. In that scenario I just put in my maximum as close as I can to the closing time.