House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Does It Cost More To Distribute Ipad Version Over Printed Paper?

So to the NoTW it costs £1 to buy the printed version.

You can buy access to the web based version for £1.99 for 4 weeks access.

Now in today's paper they are advertising the Ipad version which is £1.19.

The ipad comes with a web browser now if you where going to buy the electronic version why would you purchase the Ipad one over the web based one? Your going to be nearly paying £3 more if you buy in on 4 consecutive weeks.

Do Apple take a large cut when selling via the Apple store?

Or are the press now trying confuse the public by having a hugely varied pricing structure?

Although I don't think I'll ever pay for electronic news.

Edited by interestrateripoff

Ripoff tw&ts

I don't know why people buy ebooks. They're as dear if not dearer ...

I have ipad and it's a bit heavy for reading - but why buy a e-copy when you can have a proper book...

The only scenario where eBooks make any sense is if you are travelling and have limited space / weight allowances.

Charging more for an electronic book or newspaper is blatant profiteering. Every now and then when I read the reviews of a book on amazon I come across a host of angry comments like "why is the kindle version more than the paperback book, even including P&P?" You have to laugh.

Paper books are 0 rated for VAT purposes, John Major tried to put VAT on books. He failed.

Ebooks, kindle etc the 'books' and content are rated at normal VAT levels, ergo the price difference.

As another hpc'er pointed out, the massive power the controllers of the technology have to manipulate it..

Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle

I hope consumers would wake up to this massive con trick to shift to goods which HAVE NO RESALE VALUE and which they do not actually own.

As times get harder with more unemployment, folks will have time to re-sell that used cd, dvd or book on ebay / amazon / playtrade.com /ebid.

Imo, the sad thing is that an enormous amount of oil /resources could be saved by not shipping heavy books etc about if they priced this downloadable media correctly.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

As another hpc'er pointed out, the massive power the controllers of the technology have to manipulate it..

I hope consumers would wake up to this massive con trick to shift to goods which HAVE NO RESALE VALUE and which they do not actually own.

As times get harder with more unemployment, folks will have time to re-sell that used cd, dvd or book on ebay / amazon / playtrade.com /ebid.

Imo, the sad thing is that an enormous amount of oil /resources could be saved by not shipping heavy books etc about if they priced this downloadable media correctly.

They have to do this to enforce artificial scarcity. In that sure an ebook costs very little to replicate, control+C control+v and it is replicated. The problem with this is that the publishing house have employees and they take a cut, the author also takes a cut too.

Most e-books can be downloaded for free if you look around ... until the pricing structures are sorted out then it's your moral obligation to buy the paperback and steal the e-book. This approach has finally seemed to work in music where the major distributors have finally allowed fixed price subscription services like napster and spotify. Yesm you don't own it but you have access to pretty much everything. Fair trade...

most iPad owners, by definition, have no concept of value for money.

An excellent point. Simply by purchasing the iPad you are announcing to the world - "I have a surplus of money and am easily led, please fleece me".

Most e-books can be downloaded for free if you look around ... until the pricing structures are sorted out then it's your moral obligation to buy the paperback and steal the e-book.

Where can you get them? I found it really hard to find almost anything in copyright.

An excellent point. Simply by purchasing the iPad you are announcing to the world - "I have a surplus of money and am easily led, please fleece me".

Won mine. :)

Paper books are 0 rated for VAT purposes, John Major tried to put VAT on books. He failed.

Ebooks, kindle etc the 'books' and content are rated at normal VAT levels, ergo the price difference.

Even so that doesn't explain why an electronic version should cost more.

Although I'm surprised that this has never been challenged a book is a book no matter what form it's in.

Most e-books can be downloaded for free if you look around ... until the pricing structures are sorted out then it's your moral obligation to buy the paperback and steal the e-book.

I have at the last rough count about 30,000 ebooks to read (admittedly in pdf format but for free who cares?)B)

Most e-books can be downloaded for free if you look around ... until the pricing structures are sorted out then it's your moral obligation to buy the paperback and steal the e-book. This approach has finally seemed to work in music where the major distributors have finally allowed fixed price subscription services like napster and spotify. Yesm you don't own it but you have access to pretty much everything. Fair trade...

Aren't a lot of these books free because of "fair use" in US law, although wouldn't you still infringe copyright law in the UK if you downloaded it? Although to be honest I'd download them because the current copyright law of life + 90 years (isn't it) is a complete farce. This was originally introduced because so few people could read therefore it was hard for you to make any money at writing. Today it's different, if you are any good you can make a lot of money very quickly, I see no reason why it shouldn't just be copyrighted for 10 years, JK Rowling clearly doesn't need Harry Potter protected for life + 90 years.

Edited by interestrateripoff

no, no.

Adding the letter "I" before anything adds perceived value, and commands a premium.

I-:D

(I-Con smilie)

Edited by Money Spinner

Won mine. :)

If you had any sense you'd have immediately sold it on eBay.

Why? It's a cute gadget. I have no need of the cash.

:lol: QED

Ripoff tw&ts

I don't know why people buy ebooks. They're as dear if not dearer ...

I have ipad and it's a bit heavy for reading - but why buy a e-copy when you can have a proper book...

You must be using iBooks?

Using the kindle ap and going through Amazon, you can pick up most books for about 1/3 of the price you can in print.

Even so that doesn't explain why an electronic version should cost more.

Although I'm surprised that this has never been challenged a book is a book no matter what form it's in.

When you pay for a paper book almost all of the money paid is going for the publishing and distribution costs/ profits with a little also going to the author. And the actual cost of making the book is pennies.

Ive been reading e-books now for over 15 years. For a few years i used to run a ftp server for people to download them, i think at one time i had over 100,000 books on it.

Its quite funny to listen to everyone now thinking this is the new latest thing. The only thing that has happened now is commercial enterprises have jumped on the bandwagon, hence the media spewing out about this newest latest great thing, which in reality has been around over 15 years.

The community i was a part of used to scan then proof-read and then layout the whole paperback/hardback book, once you have done it a few times and get up to speed you can easily create a very readable ebook addition of an average book in an evening. If you own the book this is not illegal, but to save you the trouble many people have allready over the years allready done it for you. Its pretty much like when people used to buy the 8-track then record then tape then cd then now an online version of the same music, the companies love this and eagerly look at new ways to make you once again pay for the same music. i know most of the music i listen to i have done for years and years, i suspect most people are the same so why should i keep paying?. Now book publishers have jumped on this bandwagon, so if you have a hard copy of a few favourite books look online and find a copy and download it, you have allready paid for it no matter what any publisher would try to say. let them try to take anyone to court for doing it, they wont because they would lose and open the floodgates, instead they rather make half-assed threats and publish miss-leading rubbish about what you can and cant do.

Anyhow for those that want to check out millions upon millions of ebooks then go to where it all started back many years ago and is still the best resource and allways virus free.

download mirc

log onto undernet server

look for and join #books or #bookz or #bookwarez

will take you a bit of effort to get used to the new programs ect if you have never used irc before but its worth it.

regards

Edited by homeless