House Price Crash Forum

This Xmas, I Struggled To Find Anything That Was Not Made In China

Well I do have a problem with Chinese goods because invariably the quality of the product declines. I could cite any number of examples - in my areas of interest (outdoorsy): Berghaus, North Face, Scarpa, Mammut, Dr Martens etc etc etc. Mostly of course these brands are seeking to reduce production costs whilst maintaining high point-of-sale prices by virtue of their good name - earned prior to their moving production to China.

China-produced goods invariably means quality-creep and I am sick and tired of paying for a well known brand only for it to fall apart after a few months - if I had paid less for a Chinese own brand then I would have thought ah well you get what you pay for but in fact you pay a large amount for what is now an inferior product. I never buy anything made in China if I can avoid it - unfortunately this is becoming more and more difficult.

Dr Martens reopened a UK factory in 2007.

They make a small variety of shoes/boots there.

Dr Martens reopened a UK factory in 2007.

They make a small variety of shoes/boots there.

This is true. And why? Because customers were complaining about the poor quality of shoes from China. UK DR Marten's are, of course, sold at a higher price to reflect the higher quality. :rolleyes:

eventually it will have to balance itself out by their wages increasing or our falling, as the china economy will not last long if thier are no jobs in the rest of the world to enable people to earn money to pay for their goods, we have seen it before, not as bad with the Japanese flooding our markets with their goods.

Why is it not possible for the Chinese to sell to themselves....I would have thought they have a big enough market of their own and plenty of us $? ;)

[The problem as stated is that all low end manufacturing is gone in the Uk.So the only thing we will get is inflation.The answer isnt for China to make less.Its for China to start buying more of what we make.Pharma,high end engineering etc instead of simply buying US/UK/Euro debt.

1 The low end engineering will not be returning to the UK anytime soon

2 We will get inflation

3 China will not make less

4 China will not start buying more

China-produced goods invariably means quality-creep and I am sick and tired of paying for a well known brand only for it to fall apart after a few months

I went clothes shopping in Birmingham city centre yesterday. Wherever you go it's just far eastern sweat shop crap. French Connection is little better than Burtons nowadays. Poor quality cotton rags at eye watering prices. The profit margins must be astronomical.

The people that do the buying for British retailers are either very cynical or just useless - don't know which.

Well I do have a problem with Chinese goods because invariably the quality of the product declines. I could cite any number of examples - in my areas of interest (outdoorsy): Berghaus, North Face, Scarpa, Mammut, Dr Martens etc etc etc. Mostly of course these brands are seeking to reduce production costs whilst maintaining high point-of-sale prices by virtue of their good name - earned prior to their moving production to China.

China-produced goods invariably means quality-creep and I am sick and tired of paying for a well known brand only for it to fall apart after a few months - if I had paid less for a Chinese own brand then I would have thought ah well you get what you pay for but in fact you pay a large amount for what is now an inferior product. I never buy anything made in China if I can avoid it - unfortunately this is becoming more and more difficult.

Daughter's pair of Ugg boots started coming apart a while ago - and apparently not repairable. There was I daftly thinking they were made in Oz, being an Aussie brand and very pricey - label said made in China.

We recently bought very similar boots, 4 pairs in all, from Celtic Sheepskin. Made in Cornwall, by-product of local meat industry, cheaper than equivalent Uggs and can be re-soled and repaired.

Incidentally they were fantastic during recent snow and ice, too. Not to mention shrugging off a mass of mud acquired while my d was watching her b/f play rugby the other day. They're also apparently machine-washable, though we haven't tried that yet.

Daughter's pair of Ugg boots started coming apart a while ago - and apparently not repairable. There was I daftly thinking they were made in Oz, being an Aussie brand and very pricey - label said made in China.

We recently bought very similar boots, 4 pairs in all, from Celtic Sheepskin. Made in Cornwall, by-product of local meat industry, cheaper than equivalent Uggs and can be re-soled and repaired.

Incidentally they were fantastic during recent snow and ice, too. Not to mention shrugging off a mass of mud acquired while my d was watching her b/f play rugby the other day. They're also apparently machine-washable, though we haven't tried that yet.

Bought me one of these My link - made in Cornwall - and head and shoulders of the far-east manufactured guitars.

Bought me one of these My link - made in Cornwall - and head and shoulders of the far-east manufactured guitars.

Altberg of North Yorkshire are also fantastic, they've been around for decades and make their boots by hand in North Yorkshire. They've been using the same tannery for decades too, their boots arn't too badly priced either £160 gets a nice pair which will last a life time with a resole every 5-6 years. Problem is they don't like making shoes for people unless you can get there and have your foot measured up. I have an old pair which feel like they aren't there as it is not a mass produced boot.

Nice guitars! Oh how I'd LOVE a new guitar.... I mean, seriously love one... playing 10 years and never owned a REALLY nice guitar. I actually DESERVE one! But if I want a house, sacrifices must be made :(

It's amazing the tat you seeing shops now selling for an absolute bomb, and all made in China. The markup on the items is incredible (several hundred percent in some cases) so you're best off waiting for sales. It's actually quite depressing - girlfriend lives not too far from a major shopping centre and the amount of people there every week (I rarely buy) with bags of crap in their hands.... I'm always just itching to get back and do something useful like play guitar. But you look at these people and wonder what they do - if they produce anything themselves - I think the West could be in for some ugly consequences at some point.Probably serves us right for trying to force our ways on everybody else.

Nice guitars! Oh how I'd LOVE a new guitar.... I mean, seriously love one.

/quote]

Talking of guitars - I've been playing electric guitar for around 40 years and have amassed all the usual vintage Gibsons/Fenders etc. but despite my previous China comments they can actually make great sounding/playing guitars.

I bought a chinese made Hagstrom Super Swede a couple of years ago (a sort of 25.5" scale Les Paul) and the quality is exceptional - didn't even need to swap out the pickups for SDs. It has low action with almost nil buzzing and sustains for days.They turn up on eBay dirt cheap still.

However, I've still got my eye on a £5k PRS which is in a shop window in London where I'm working at the moment!

I went clothes shopping in Birmingham city centre yesterday. Wherever you go it's just far eastern sweat shop crap. French Connection is little better than Burtons nowadays. Poor quality cotton rags at eye watering prices. The profit margins must be astronomical.

The people that do the buying for British retailers are either very cynical or just useless - don't know which.

Theres only one shop now here in Perth i can confidently predict first world made clothes , everywhere else is 95%+ slave labour crap now.RM Williams isn't cheap of course , paying $90 for the high end jeans and $65 for the cotton trousers/dress pants , $40+ for the belts and $200+ for the boots (1USD = 1AUD).The small selection of dress shirts are made in Australia from Italian fabric for around $80+.The lower end jeans and all the t-shirts/polos are made in China but i think the fabric is still Australian.

Online is a much better selection although underwear is very hard to find.Found one Australian manufacturer , wanted $39.95 per pair briefs! but luckily were on special for $11.95 so bought 3 pairs.Australian made socks and boots are still easy to find if you know where to look.Alot of the other stuff like coats , jumpers i import from 'made in USA only' websites now.

Edited by Ruffneck