House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ritters

Petrol Rises Will Ruin Uk

Guest spp

Inflation in CHINDIA is going to put the cost of pretty much anything you need (and much of what you want)...UP!

Happy new year! :rolleyes:

Today's petrol prices are in no small part caused by the rampant HPI of previous years. To sustain those HPs, we have record low IRs, undermining Sterling and increasing the cost of imports like oil. One way or another, we are going to pay for the madness and greed, whether the sheeple or govt like it. It's inevitable.

Inflation in CHINDIA is going to put the cost of pretty much anything you need (and much of what you want)...UP!

SO BUY EVERYTHING NOW is what you're saying?

The corollary is that Chindia becomes less competitive, which is better for UK domestic markets. An opportunity for UK manufacturing.

The corollary is that Chindia becomes less competitive, which is better for UK domestic markets. An opportunity for UK manufacturing.

Only if the UK becomes more competitive also.

With the 2.5% rise in VAT and the record fuel prices i don't see that happening?

Then again those supertankers do use alot of fuel , maybe we will see a more local economy.

The Chinese will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than the UK would be for manufacturing ... at what point to do you see the UK becoming directly competitive and able to out-compete China because up until that point, Chinese inflation just means that things will get more expensive for us.

As for India, I guess we stand a better chance of being able to compete on services as there's more than just bottom line cost at play there so it might not take as long to become competitive there.

Guest spp

Less...but still a lot more.

Less...but still a lot more.

High fuel costs will stall economic growth....they are cutting their nose to spite their face.

Can't pay won't pay...will spend less, will cut back, no problem........will do things differently, every little helps. ;)

I would think the cost of fuel is a significant overhead to UK industry and a significant monthly cost to Mr average.

So won't increasing fuel costs just make the UK less competitive and along with the VAT increase actual hamper economic growth.

I thought Dave and the OBR were relying on economic growth to clear half of the deficit.

I would think the cost of fuel is a significant overhead to UK industry and a significant monthly cost to Mr average.

So won't increasing fuel costs just make the UK less competitive and along with the VAT increase actual hamper economic growth.

I thought Dave and the OBR were relying on economic growth to clear half of the deficit.

I sometimes wonder if they get it....one of the things that will upset most of their valued voters is the high price of the necessities of life such as heating, travel, food and of course housing.....they seem to be trying as hard as they can to push all of them up will gay abandon.....the other is saying something then doing another....add to that unemployment

What hope is there? :unsure:

UK petrol consumption is falling, has been since 1990. Obvious why the tax on it goes up.

Why? By lowering taxes they would probably get a higher tax take as people drive more. I think the VAT rise will probably lower tax revenues as people simply stop spending. The government's solution to this will be to increase taxes further.

The Chinese will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than the UK would be for manufacturing ... at what point to do you see the UK becoming directly competitive and able to out-compete China because up until that point, Chinese inflation just means that things will get more expensive for us.

As for India, I guess we stand a better chance of being able to compete on services as there's more than just bottom line cost at play there so it might not take as long to become competitive there.

Would that be when the average family in the UK is able to exist on one bowl of rice per day?

Would that be when the average family in the UK is able to exist on one bowl of rice per day?

This is a massive myth about Chinese having a bowl of rice a day. For starters 75% of the population don't eat rice. Rice is grown in the south, wheat (look at Maoist era propaganda), potatoes and oates are staple foods in China. Rice can be grown in the far north but it is dry in the north. You go to Guanzhao and people eat rice porridge for breakfast. Go to Beijing and they eat A wheaty type of porridge.

Also Chinese people have started to eat a lot more meat a hell of a lot more and in the past 10 years there is a young people's obsesity problem happening in China. Hell go fly out to Beijing and have a look at the people in the Hutong around the 4th and 5th ring roads. They eat communally but have at least a plate of food per person.

So the bowl of rice myth is just that a myth.

The big problem with the UK is land and high rents, as demonstrated in many posts Chinese people can rent small homes for $1 a day. Or even less. While how much could you rent on 1/16th of NMW in the UK? ~ £12.95 for a 35hour week.

Edited by ken_ichikawa

I sometimes wonder if they get it....one of the things that will upset most of their valued voters is the high price of the necessities of life such as heating, travel, food and of course housing.....they seem to be trying as hard as they can to push all of them up will gay abandon.....the other is saying something then doing another....add to that unemployment

What hope is there? :unsure:

I very much doubt whether there is any such thing as 'valued voters' to politicians.

All they care about is cobbling together enough support from election to election to keep them in office.

The problem for the coalition is that their policies will produce far more losers than winners so they really need some form of sustained economic recovery to survive.

The big danger to Cameron and Clegg is that we see a year of cuts followed by another banking crisis and more bailouts of the financial sector.

If that happens then the government are dead meat.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

I very much doubt whether there is any such thing as 'valued voters' to politicians.

All they care about is cobbling together enough support from election to election to keep them in office.

The problem for the coalition is that their policies will produce far more losers than winners so they really need some form of sustained economic recovery to survive.

The big danger to Cameron and Clegg is that we see a year of cuts followed by another banking crisis and more bailouts of the financial sector.

If that happens then the government are dead meat.

..people will only take so much.......one step too far would be taking the p*** we may look like fools or sometimes act like fools, they can try to justify their actions all they like, but most of us have far more savvy than they think we do. ;)

The 'valued voters' are the million or so in closely contested constituencies who get to decide the result of UK elections. The politicians don't give a crap about anyone else because the majorities are too large for them to lose there.

Guest spp

They will be Laff-ing all the way to the bankruptcy.

Globalisation....don't you just love it!

Edited by spp

This is a massive myth about Chinese having a bowl of rice a day. For starters 75% of the population don't eat rice. Rice is grown in the south, wheat (look at Maoist era propaganda), potatoes and oates are staple foods in China. Rice can be grown in the far north but it is dry in the north. You go to Guanzhao and people eat rice porridge for breakfast. Go to Beijing and they eat A wheaty type of porridge.

Also Chinese people have started to eat a lot more meat a hell of a lot more and in the past 10 years there is a young people's obsesity problem happening in China. Hell go fly out to Beijing and have a look at the people in the Hutong around the 4th and 5th ring roads. They eat communally but have at least a plate of food per person.

So the bowl of rice myth is just that a myth.

The big problem with the UK is land and high rents, as demonstrated in many posts Chinese people can rent small homes for $1 a day. Or even less. While how much could you rent on 1/16th of NMW in the UK? ~ £12.95 for a 35hour week.

Yes, agreed Ken_ichikawa, things change.

Nevertheless my point remains true, the average family in China have far less requirement for income volume.