House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Educonomy:dumbing Down Of University Grades Revealed

* :lol: Northampton University, formerly Nene College of Higher Education, saw a sevenfold rise in first class honours between 1997 and last year, with the proportion awarded jumping from 2 per cent to 14 per cent . :lol:

God help us all, Northampton University! That fount of wisdom!

I have only met two people with "First Class" degrees, and crikey, they deserved them!

They were really exceptional, but I wasn't! :huh:

silly article.

people are clearly more educated than they were.

hence they get better results.

which means they are better educated than they were.

which means they are better educated than they were

hence they get better results

Nene college made me laugh.apparently,bournemouth uni has improved 300% over the last 13 years as well. and liverpool john moores to.oxford and cambridge must be sh1tting themselves

I'm a reasonably clever person Pedro, I went to a "second tier uni" in the 80s!

It wasn't a polytechnic, but I'm not knocking the Polys! Some of them were very good!

Maybe you know that the old Polytechnics had their degrees certified by the CNAA, but now they can print them by themselves!

It's another form of infaltion I guess!

I'm a reasonably clever person Pedro, I went to a "second tier uni" in the 80s!

It wasn't a polytechnic, but I'm not knocking the Polys! Some of them were very good!

Maybe you know that the old Polytechnics had their degrees certified by the CNAA, but now they can print them by themselves!

It's another form of infaltion I guess!

we should do a degree on the HPC website theories.

the evidence clearly indicates that some uni's are manufacturing higher grades whilst other aren't.for your theory to hold true,they would surely have to inflate at relatively the same speed.

'Northampton University, formerly Nene College of Higher Education, saw a sevenfold rise in first class honours between 1997 and last year, with the proportion awarded jumping from 2 per cent to 14 per cent .'

'Some of the most consistent universities in terms of degree gradings have been Portsmouth, where the proportion of firsts and 2:1 was actually slightly lower last year than in 1997, and Royal Holloway, where the proportion remained at 69 per cent.'

and it would be wrong to not to observe that generally,when there's more of something being produced,it tends to devalue inventories.Unless of course,it's a massive ponzi scheme.

that would depend on the subject matter.

Golf Course management.

David Beckham Studies.

I'm thick as mince and managed a 2;2 froma second tier uni in the 90's.I''m gutted,could have waited 20 years and gone to somewhere with a decent night out and got a 2:1.

I didn't know that about the old poly's.It just strikes me as mad that a fisrt from cambridge is the same grade as a first from nene college and yet we all know there's a world of difference.

As thick as all of us here then! ;)

Yes, Polythechnics had their degrees graded by the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA), which was a board

overseen by Universities!

As soon as they became "Universities" overnight, they could print their own, so no guarantee of quality! :(

Edited by MrPin

I'm thick as mince and managed a 2;2 froma second tier uni in the 90's.I''m gutted,could have waited 20 years and gone to somewhere with a decent night out and got a 2:1.

I didn't know that about the old poly's.It just strikes me as mad that a fisrt from cambridge is the same grade as a first from nene college and yet we all know there's a world of difference.

well, the old pals act certainly applies to the public and banking sectors' cache of the "right tie" principle.

And, just like the credit bubble effects, some of us predicted all this over a decade ago.

And I don't have a degree, by the way.

I'll send you one in the post! ;)

I think they will be less popular in future!

Edited by MrPin

The official position that degrees of the same grade from different institutions are equivalent has always been nonsense. No employer takes that seriously - those interested in decent graduates look for a 2:1 or above first, then go preferentially for Oxbridge, Russell Group, 60s unis, then the old polys.

If Nene thinks that inflating their grades will fool employers then they are wrong. However they may be successful in fooling applicants that their degrees are worth more than they are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343403/Universities-forced-reveal-Blacklisted-A-level-subjects.html

Universities will be forced to reveal their unofficial 'blacklists' of 'banned' A-level subjects that are considered to harm students' chances of being accepted on top courses.

David Willetts, the universities minister, said institutions will have to publish the subjects that are viewed as substandard, as well as the ones taken by their successful applicants for every course in the UK.

And then you have this to add into the mix.

It will be interesting to see what subjects are viewed as worthless. General Studies has always been viewed as a joke one as when I did A-Levels it appeared to be more like a pub quiz from what little I saw of it.

Degree inflation was guaranteed once performance targets come in to it. Trouble is those students that really are good and got a degree suddenly find that the degree is worthless if it comes from what's seen as a Micky Mouse institution. Like money printing, degree printing ultimately produces worthless results.

Even better now you get to pay for your worthless degree with worthless electronic debt. I suppose the irony of all this will be lost on VC's.

The official position that degrees of the same grade from different institutions are equivalent has always been nonsense. No employer takes that seriously - those interested in decent graduates look for a 2:1 or above first, then go preferentially for Oxbridge, Russell Group, 60s unis, then the old polys.

If Nene thinks that inflating their grades will fool employers then they are wrong. However they may be successful in fooling applicants that their degrees are worth more than they are.

It will certainly fool the academically weak student into believing they hold something of value for all the debt they have taken on, until that is said recipient of the degree enters the job market only to find what they have is worthless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343403/Universities-forced-reveal-Blacklisted-A-level-subjects.html

And then you have this to add into the mix.

It will be interesting to see what subjects are viewed as worthless. General Studies has always been viewed as a joke one as when I did A-Levels it appeared to be more like a pub quiz from what little I saw of it.

Doesn't it depend to some extent on the exam board? My two had to do GS in addition to 3 As and 1 AS. I too thought GS a waste of time until I saw the paper my elder smuggled out of school. Talk about a shock - even the comprehension would have taxed many people who like to think they're pretty good at that sort of thing. The maths was certainly no doss, either. Mind you this was a while ago and it was a very academic school that would have picked the hardest board on purpose.

I would swear that a lot of people who scoff at GS would have been hard put to get a reasonable pass on that paper. If all GS exams were like that it certainly wouldn't be a joke.

This always seems so unfair on future students and pre-late 1990 students. If the reforms for 'A' Levels & degrees go through they will have it a lot tougher. Maybe it's time to say those people who were awarded a degree or 'A' Levels between the late 1990s and say 2014, should have their results taken with some salt.

I firmly think the rot set in with John "working class chip on his shoulder" Major when he let all the Polytechics become Universities in their own right after 1992. It used to be a real badge of pride to say you went or were going to University. Nothing to do with class divide at all (if your tough 'A' Levels were good you got in). Now everyone and their dog says they are "going to uni". A real shame.

This always seems so unfair on future students and pre-late 1990 students. If the reforms for 'A' Levels & degrees go through they will have it a lot tougher. Maybe it's time to say those people who were awarded a degree or 'A' Levels between the late 1990s and say 2014, should have their results taken with some salt.

I firmly think the rot set in with John "working class chip on his shoulder" Major when he let all the Polytechics become Universities in their own right after 1992. It used to be a real badge of pride to say you went or were going to University. Nothing to do with class divide at all (if your tough 'A' Levels were good you got in). Now everyone and their dog says they are "going to uni". A real shame.

keeps three years worth of students off the unemployment registers, and a truck load of overpaid acedemics in jobs., not forgetting the property portfolios and empires each and every Uni provides for public sector workers.

Doesn't it depend to some extent on the exam board? My two had to do GS in addition to 3 As and 1 AS. I too thought GS a waste of time until I saw the paper my elder smuggled out of school. Talk about a shock - even the comprehension would have taxed many people who like to think they're pretty good at that sort of thing. The maths was certainly no doss, either. Mind you this was a while ago and it was a very academic school that would have picked the hardest board on purpose.

I would swear that a lot of people who scoff at GS would have been hard put to get a reasonable pass on that paper. If all GS exams were like that it certainly wouldn't be a joke.

Quite. The 1979 JMB GCE 'A' Level paper included Latin and Greek!

keeps three years worth of students off the unemployment registers, and a truck load of overpaid acedemics in jobs., not forgetting the property portfolios and empires each and every Uni provides for public sector workers.

I also think part of the problem was change not just for change sake but change to justify some Education Minister and their Mandarins jobs. How can we change 'A' levels? Let's introduce "coursework". Let's also drop nothing-wrong-with-them 'O' levels and introduce coursework for them too. Lets also allow students to thread the needle with their studies in such a way that, if they choose, most of their marked work is coursework and lets also give them the chance to resubmit it, if they're not happy with the grades. Look at the blowback this resulted in.

And, just like the credit bubble effects, some of us predicted all this over a decade ago.

And I don't have a degree, by the way.

I would say that many who interview people for jobs don't have one either. ;)

If people who went to university in the 60s, 70s and 80s were so damn smart how come they've created such a mess of the education system? Today's students can only pass the exams put in front of them.

Edited by Orsino

If people who went to university in the 60s, 70s and 80s were so damn smart how come they've created such a mess of the education system? Today's students can only pass the exams put in front of them.

they have to "contribute"...therefore, they "fix" what aint broke.

jobsworths.

Once you've got mediocre people running the show they will surround themselves with more mediocre people but always ones who are slightly inferior to them to ensure their own inadequacies aren't revealed.

Once the rot has set in its very hard to stop it.

Passing exams is all about putting information down onto paper and proving you can work through calculations properly.

I reckon I could pass pretty much any subject (maybe excluding languages) at degree level if I were allowed to sit with a laptop and internet connection whilst taking the exam.

It doesn't mean I'd truely understand the question or be any good at a job involving the applied theory but I'd walk out with a first.