House Price Crash Forum

Priced Out - Why Investing In Bricks And Mortar May No Longer Be The Best Move

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Property is not an "investment" it is a speculative purchase. For some time now speculation has been the way to get rich. No one gets rich doing anything you make your fortune speculating. It will take some time before this mentality goes away, if ever.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Beyond the obvious death of runaway HPI, there is very little to take comfort from in this development.

SCHAPPS: "I think the answer is house-price stability."

LORD OAKESHOTT: "......high house prices were a "curse for the young" and called for greater acceptance of renting............"We must end our unhealthy British obsession with owner occupation for all,".

Sounds like a permanently high plateau or real falls of 2% per year for a while at best. And renting for most.

HOLA449

I assume Schapps and Oakeshott both rent or own only one home. Let's see if their actions match the words. Remember Gordon Brown.

I think its worse than that. They are explicitly saying that high nominal falls (2007-9) are bad. Real falls + steady yields on rental portfolios are good.

HPI is dead, but a substantial nominal HPC will be resisted.

A bad day for bears (and 2011 is barely out of its new wrapper).

HOLA4410

My prediction for 2011:-

Schapps will unveil an 'innovative' (he likes that word) mechanism for first time buyers, which the Tories have agreed with the taxpayer funded banksters, involving a short-term subsidy to fund an FTB deposit (and long-term debt instrument, obviously) which the banksters can dress up into some rehashed form of securitisation and sell to the pension funds.

Think Thatcher's Right to Buy for council houses but for the private sector.

Mark my words (h/t ham)

Edited by Red Karma

HOLA4411

They need to do something to kick start HPI otherwise they will never win the next election. They will also need to ensure the non-repossession policy continues, so may be SMI 2 as well.

It's a carry across from the Tory plan for funding higher education.

Shapps claims that houses are overpriced for young people and thus wants to engineer long term 'price stability' i.e. prevent further falls but he has NO qualms whatsoever about plunging the same young people into tens of thousands of new debt to finance Universities' salaries.

Applying the Tory solution to education to housing, you end up with a long-term (deferred) debt instrument used to fund an FTB deposit.

It's entirely consistent with Tory thinking and policy, whatever words fall from his lips.

HOLA4412

My prediction for 2011:-

Schapps will unveil an 'innovative' (he likes that word) mechanism for first time buyers, which the Tories have agreed with the taxpayer funded banksters, involving a short-term subsidy to fund an FTB deposit (and long-term debt instrument, obviously) which the banksters can dress up into some rehashed form of securitisation and sell to the pension funds.

Think Thatcher's Right to Buy for council houses but for the private sector.

Mark my words (h/t ham)

Plus SMI2 and house prices included in CPI (guaranteeing lower interest rates for longer).

This lot are arguably more dangerous than the last lot.

HOLA4413

You do realise that with this plan in place the youth of today will be have massive debts for life and will probably have to 'spend' the majority of their earnings paying interest to the banks. Slavery by the banks without any of the obligations.

TPTB will consider this a job well done. Trebles all round.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Further evidence of the conspiracy:

- Basle II rule changes (increased bank capital) have been kicked into the long grass for 5-8 years

- Banking bonus "legislation" (more precisely the lack of any co-ordinated, long-term global solutions with teeth)

Bears are in danger of winning the intellectual argument (house prices are too high), but losing the real war (actually buying a cheap house).

Like trying to win the Tour de France without doping. All your competitors are juiced up (with the implicit support of the cycling authorities). Either you join them or play another sport (equivalent of leaving the country).

HOLA4416

Has this Observer interview with Schapps actually been published yet? Until we can see what he said in its entirety it's hard to comment. All I can find is references to bits of the interview.

Edited by juvenal

HOLA4417

the problem with this idea with prices how they are or prices falling very slowly as the article says is ideal a house can not just be a home when it is also a chronically bad investment.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I suspect it's useless looking for answers from a Government that doesn't know what to do. They're attempting to appeal to all in a useless gesture.

It has it all. A nod to those young and priced out, appeasements to land lords about greater acceptability to renting and relaxes existing home owners about price stability.

The reality is any movement in the housing market is detrimental to the Government now. Down and the banks collapse, up and the mortgage market slows even more. Any additional support becomes a greater burden to the country's finances.

HOLA4420

Beyond the obvious death of runaway HPI, there is very little to take comfort from in this development.

SCHAPPS: "I think the answer is house-price stability."

LORD OAKESHOTT: "......high house prices were a "curse for the young" and called for greater acceptance of renting............"We must end our unhealthy British obsession with owner occupation for all,".

Sounds like a permanently high plateau or real falls of 2% per year for a while at best. And renting for most.

Why? Schapps and SureShot don`t have control over this, they are just opening their bums on TV and making noise.

HOLA4421

Further evidence of the conspiracy:

- Basle II rule changes (increased bank capital) have been kicked into the long grass for 5-8 years

- Banking bonus "legislation" (more precisely the lack of any co-ordinated, long-term global solutions with teeth)

Bears are in danger of winning the intellectual argument (house prices are too high), but losing the real war (actually buying a cheap house).

Like trying to win the Tour de France without doping. All your competitors are juiced up (with the implicit support of the cycling authorities). Either you join them or play another sport (equivalent of leaving the country).

House prices are falling. The media now acknowledges it.