House Price Crash Forum
pathfinder

The Death Of Public Transport

As you may know I have been on a bit above NMW for 6 months, shortly to go part time. I have cycled every day currently that saves me £52 a month bus fares. As it stands that equates to 9.5 hours salary burned after tax every month.

With bus prices set to go up, the worm has turned! 3 members of staff are cycling, a fourth has just asked about getting a second hand bike. These people are not fitness freaks more like overweight 45-55 year olds. A good chunk of NMW workers use buses to save on car costs. But it looks like prices will be creaking towards £55, with food and bills on the up, the bus in actually a luxury, so I am calling the death of public transport 2011.

Ironic isn't it. How the Chinese used to bicycle everywhere, yet when they got wealthy they eschewed such things and moved into cars. While we moved onto bicycles. Watch this space bicycles will be charged road tax, insurance and subject to MOT if they become popular enough. Gotta protect the government money AT ALL costs!

Ironic isn't it. How the Chinese used to bicycle everywhere, yet when they got wealthy they eschewed such things and moved into cars. While we moved onto bicycles. Watch this space bicycles will be charged road tax, insurance and subject to MOT if they become popular enough. Gotta protect the government money AT ALL costs!

Bike/horse insurance and road tax would be a great idea.

Why should someone else pay for a groups use of a facility? Oh I forgot, I'm entitled INNIT.

Its really interesting visiting London now. Cycling is now reaching a critical mass. Cyclists everywhere (and some are quite insane). In fact cycling in London is what I miss most about the place. I hated the overcrowded tube and bus's with overloud iPod wearers.

Where I live now I think the hills are a deterrent, but a greater sense of achievement is gained.

As you may know I have been on a bit above NMW for 6 months, shortly to go part time. I have cycled every day currently that saves me £52 a month bus fares. As it stands that equates to 9.5 hours salary burned after tax every month.

With bus prices set to go up, the worm has turned! 3 members of staff are cycling, a fourth has just asked about getting a second hand bike. These people are not fitness freaks more like overweight 45-55 year olds. A good chunk of NMW workers use buses to save on car costs. But it looks like prices will be creaking towards £55, with food and bills on the up, the bus in actually a luxury, so I am calling the death of public transport 2011.

Yes, I don't think public transport has improved since it was sold to the private sector!

They certainly know how to dig their own graves, eh? :huh:

Due to VAT + Rumours of ticket hikes

Public transport is VAT exempt. As someone pointed out on another thread, that's why the government is so keen on air passenger duty: because, unlike VAT, business travellers cannot reclaim it. Interestingly, a friend told me the other day that Labour considered whacking a 30% duty on first class rail tickets, but decided not to after figures from the main train companies revealed around 80% of first class rail passengers to be public sector workers travelling on expenses, and the remainder to be leisure travellers on cheap tickets booked months in advance. In other words, the duty would raise less in actual new, private sector money than it would cost to collect. The bottom line is that the private sector just doesn't use public transport other than air for business travel on any significant scale, and virtually no-one apart from public sector workers travelling on expenses buys full price, first class train tickets. At around £500 for a fully flexible London to Scotland return, small wonder!

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

I took to cycling everywhere whilst at Cambridge - no way I could pay bus fares to get between Girton and everywhere-else. Ditto when I got a job thereafter.

I think the cycling habit was probably the best legacy of my Cambridge days. Saved a fortune compared to either car-addicts or public-transport commuters.

Its really interesting visiting London now. Cycling is now reaching a critical mass. Cyclists everywhere (and some are quite insane). In fact cycling in London is what I miss most about the place. I hated the overcrowded tube and bus's with overloud iPod wearers.

Where I live now I think the hills are a deterrent, but a greater sense of achievement is gained.

Hills? Pfft. Nowt wrong with hills (except when icy). They add lots of scenic value :)

Why should someone else pay for a groups use of a facility? Oh I forgot, I'm entitled INNIT.

So you think it should be a tax per vehicle then? I pay road tax on my car, and also cycle. I can only use one at a time, so why should I pay ROAD tax twice?

Insurance is slightly different, in that both vehicles could be stolen I guess.

80% of first class rail passengers to be public sector workers travelling on expenses,

Wouldn't it be more sensible to ban and sack any b&stards robbing us for a first class ticket on expenses.

Sod it, let's have the stocks and public executions back!

On Network South East there seems to be absolutely no difference whatsoever between first class and second class, other than the colour of the seats.

Two things people will not put up with are high fuel costs and high food costs....add that to high housing costs and high unemployment and the future for most does not look good........those in their cushy nice little numbers may look at it all from the protection of their ivory 'I'm all right jack' ivory towers......but "we are all in this together" :lol:

On Network South East there seems to be absolutely no difference whatsoever between first class and second class, other than the colour of the seats.

My daughter and I have travelled on South Western several times recently. She said the first class passengers appeared to be paying for "bits of white material on the backs of their seats" and nothing else. In fact, during the snow, under instructions from the staff, the privileged few even had to let us two and a bunch of other hoi polloi share their antimacassars.

.....tax walkers......why should pedestrian parasites go free?

So you think it should be a tax per vehicle then? I pay road tax on my car, and also cycle. I can only use one at a time, so why should I pay ROAD tax twice?

Insurance is slightly different, in that both vehicles could be stolen I guess.

Not so much that, I think cyclist should be insured to cover injury to pedestrians and other road users.

[/b]

Public transport is VAT exempt. As someone pointed out on another thread, that's why the government

But for how long? VAT was original for luxuries now packaging can mean the difference between VAT and no VAt.

Two things people will not put up with are high fuel costs and high food costs....add that to high housing costs and high unemployment and the future for most does not look good........those in their cushy nice little numbers may look at it all from the protection of their ivory 'I'm all right jack' ivory towers......but "we are all in this together" :lol:

When the guns come out everybody will go back to work lickety split!

Rail commuters to London from Tonbridge in Kent will be paying £5000 for an annual season ticket from next week (unless they want to take the scenic slow route via Redhill).

For someone on £35,000 per annum it will cost them 14% of their disposable income just to get to work

Add in PAYE/NIC deductions and they will have a disposable income of about £20,000

If they lived within walking/cycling distance of work and earned £25,000 there take home pay after PAYE/NIC deductions would be approximately £19,000

Given all the time and grief involved in commuting you have to wonder whether it is worth all the extra hassle for £20 extra week.

BTW If you work in Central London there is no 'private alternative' to public transport if you live any distance away. Even if you could face the daily grind of driving into the capital and the congestion charge you would still not find anywhere to park

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

[/b]

Public transport is VAT exempt. As someone pointed out on another thread, that's why the government is so keen on air passenger duty: because, unlike VAT, business travellers cannot reclaim it. Interestingly, a friend told me the other day that Labour considered whacking a 30% duty on first class rail tickets, but decided not to after figures from the main train companies revealed around 80% of first class rail passengers to be public sector workers travelling on expenses, and the remainder to be leisure travellers on cheap tickets booked months in advance. In other words, the duty would raise less in actual new, private sector money than it would cost to collect. The bottom line is that the private sector just doesn't use public transport other than air for business travel on any significant scale, and virtually no-one apart from public sector workers travelling on expenses buys full price, first class train tickets. At around £500 for a fully flexible London to Scotland return, small wonder!

Public Transport is VAT zero rated, not exempt. The difference is that being zero rated, they can claim back the VAT on any expenses they have, including fuel, and get a refund paid into their bank account every three months.

Rail commuters to London from Tonbridge in Kent will be paying £5000 for an annual season ticket from next week (unless they want to take the scenic slow route via Redhill).

£5K? Is that for 1st class ticket?

You are paying for the increased probability of being able to sit down rather than stand.

£5K? Is that for 1st class ticket?

Standard class.

From commuter towns in Hampshire to Waterloo can be anywhere from £3000 updwards - standard class with no tube included.