House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

My New Years Resolution

I feel this maybe more appropriately aired on MSE

For ten years I have earned a reasonable salary and will be officially unemployed in a few days. I will remain so until my youngest begins school so 3-4years at a push. I am reflecting on the big ticket 'discretionary' purchases I have made in those years and the VAT benefit made to our exchequer.

All brandnew or VAT applicable

PPL and upkeep = £30,000

Motorcycles x 4 = £23,000

Cars x 2 = £20,000

Sports Equipment = £30,000

Overseas hols = £25,000 (last five years, 3 per year)

Wedding+Honeymoon = £25,000 (once in a life time)

Electronic Crap = £15,000 (guess but I can easily add up at least that amount in my head)

The grand total is £168,000 so VAT will be a very healthy £25k VAT and £5k fuel duty for (wet) hours in the cockpit.

My projected discretionary spend for the next ten years is significantly less at todays prices

PPL £0

Motorbikes/Cars £0

Sports Equipment £0

Overseas hols ? the family have taken to UK staycations maybe a few overseas trips

Everything else I will make do and mend or buy off eBay.

I have also reduced the family food budget from £800 a month to £300, not sure how long i'll be able to keep it down this low with all this deflation!

The point is that I have drastically altered my lifestyle and this will be detrimental to the UK economy but my own personally 'happiness index' has not dropped one iota. How many others out there are doing the same, especially with the VAT rise/change of circumstances. Forced or otherwise. I can't be the only one.

Well, to put it short Tom

I still need to fuel my car, I still need to pay my taxes. I'm screwed regardless.

However, like you I wont be buying shiny things for the foreseeable future, less is more my mantra.

Capitalism is remarkable isn't it.

I offer some brain food for your task. You are not the only one.

Classic stuff. First 5 minutes it's all good, making sense you can hear the audience laughing along following him, then he starts over-reaching into wilder and wilder guess work and half formed nice sounding ramblings, not a murmur from the followers who have of course no idea what he's talking about, but he's a wise one right? the first bit was pretty right on wasn't it? So it must be the followers that need to listen harder and catch up, but they can't, because he's really just not making sense, and with not a sceptical bone between them they just sit cross legged and gaze lovingly at him in wonderment instead. I though he was going to end by saying "vote labour".

Classic stuff. First 5 minutes it's all good, making sense you can hear the audience laughing along following him, then he starts over-reaching into wilder and wilder guess work and half formed nice sounding ramblings, not a murmur from the followers who have of course no idea what he's talking about, but he's a wise one right? the first bit was pretty right on wasn't it? So it must be the followers that need to listen harder and catch up, but they can't, because he's really just not making sense, and with not a sceptical bone between them they just sit cross legged and gaze lovingly at him in wonderment instead. I though he was going to end by saying "vote labour".

You mean you didn't get the last bit?

Me neither, I posted as I was listening, seemed appropriate - like you say, started off well.

I'll try again - (see how this one ends, I don't know yet).....

Edited by OnlyMe

Me neither, I posted as I was listening, seemed appropriate - like you say, started off well.

The ruler must be wary that the pyramid he sits atop of does not grow outwards from the bottom.

With nobody at the bottom, the Ponzi crashes type thing?

You have to belong to a set pyramid, be that the UK, France, etc. a man must belong to a nation in order to contribute to the hierarchy of it.

I feel this maybe more appropriately aired on MSE

For ten years I have earned a reasonable salary and will be officially unemployed in a few days. I will remain so until my youngest begins school so 3-4years at a push.

Am I right in assuming that the missus will be the main breadwinner?

does this stefbot thing know there is always more than one way to look at things? We are enslaved by his definition by a large degree of mutual consent mostly tacitly given by the individual when we understand better why things are how they are. But this thing just sees the persecuted way of looking at it, for instance calls the "country" a "tax farm", some paranoid delusion about evil tax farmers out to get him. Mentions the giving of public services "as though there is some benevolence". Benevolence is an inappropriate word when talking about the state, the state is unable to be either benevolent or not. It is just inanimate money that is pooled together to pay for public services dished out by average humans who use various fallible ways to prioritize it. The size of the state can be varied but with this many people on the planet, and that is people as they are right now, with human emotions etc, not some idealised humans that would have to exist for the ideology to work but as we are, there must be some form of revenue collecting and spending organisation. The problem for this thing is if majority % of people agree to pooling x pounds for health/roads/policing etc, the other people must be forced to cough up as well, or there would be either resentment if they still got care or inhumanity if they don't, they must be made to pay their share for this whole civilisation thing to work. It's as simple as that. It's just the way of the world. Look around, it's pathetic to moan about being a slave when we lead the lives we do.

I am having to stop myself this very instant as I'm dying to buy a shiny new guitar.... drooool.... I already have two, though (not great but they're something), so no boomers can say to me 'you've made no sacrifices' - well I have. No shiny new guitar :(

It's going to be a year of massive savings for me. Decided not to do Disney Florida which would've cost at least £1.5k+ each.... Got a Gran Canaria holiday from Thomson sale... admittedly platinum... but 'only' £700 each.

Sounds like you have your eye on an expensive guitar! ;)

Am I right in assuming that the missus will be the main breadwinner?

Seems that way....

Just a bit of childrearing not somekind of spiritual awakening! I can hear Alan Watts laughing from the grave.

MrPin, I get the idea you know me! :D

I would love the new Slash 'Appetite' Epiphone. And a PRS with maple fingerboard. And also an EVH Wolfgang (DROOL).

You have 2 choices. Buy it and you will be satified for a short time (as you won't want it anymore) and then after a while you'll start drooling after something else. Or continue to drool until you lose interest.

The result is pretty much the same though number 2 probably works out cheaper.

Veering a bit off-topic, all, if you're actually into your motorbikes like TomPosh, there's an incredible amount of good value to be found if you're prepared to put in a little time and get your hands greasy.

I found a 30 year old Suzuki with literally 9000 miles on the clock for 300 squid; I have since come to the conclusion that Suzuki straight-four engines built in the early-eighties are nigh on bullet-proof. It simply will. Not. Die. The carbs needed cleaning and I had to replace the rubber fuel line and a rubber diaphragm (after 30 years, the rubber was perishing). Parts are plentiful and cheap; it ran a little rough at first, but once I got all the compressions equal (again, 30 years will do that to a bike!) it ran smooth.

Every time I ride it I am astounded. 300 quid, a handful of rubber parts and I treated myself to having a local Suzuki pro come round to tune it, and it's a bike I fully expect to last another couple of decades.

This was a bit of a bargain, but every time I look on eBay or the bike classifieds, there's someone selling a bike that's been in the garage for years just waiting for someone to put a battery and fuel in; early-eighties Japanese bike engines are bloody wonderful.

I now vacate the soapbox for the next off-topic chap.... :)

Veering a bit off-topic, all, if you're actually into your motorbikes like TomPosh, there's an incredible amount of good value to be found if you're prepared to put in a little time and get your hands greasy.

I found a 30 year old Suzuki with literally 9000 miles on the clock for 300 squid; I have since come to the conclusion that Suzuki straight-four engines built in the early-eighties are nigh on bullet-proof. It simply will. Not. Die. The carbs needed cleaning and I had to replace the rubber fuel line and a rubber diaphragm (after 30 years, the rubber was perishing). Parts are plentiful and cheap; it ran a little rough at first, but once I got all the compressions equal (again, 30 years will do that to a bike!) it ran smooth.

Every time I ride it I am astounded. 300 quid, a handful of rubber parts and I treated myself to having a local Suzuki pro come round to tune it, and it's a bike I fully expect to last another couple of decades.

This was a bit of a bargain, but every time I look on eBay or the bike classifieds, there's someone selling a bike that's been in the garage for years just waiting for someone to put a battery and fuel in; early-eighties Japanese bike engines are bloody wonderful.

I now vacate the soapbox for the next off-topic chap.... :)

you've just inspired me, check this out http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1979-HONDA-550-FOUR-550-4-12-MONTHS-MOT-PICS-/150542012920?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item230d00d1f8 doing well to make it to 39k, any idea what the average upper limit is on these engines?

you've just inspired me, check this out http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1979-HONDA-550-FOUR-550-4-12-MONTHS-MOT-PICS-/150542012920?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item230d00d1f8 doing well to make it to 39k, any idea what the average upper limit is on these engines?

Forever and a day. The guy who I split up with on the big trek found one in a hedge. He badly bent one of the rods in the engine and merely bent it back and sealed up the engine. He then vanished for 9 months touring Europe slowly. He kept it running for 1 more year using a scaffold pole as the exhaust and a beer can for the MOT as the silencers (it passed) He got rid of it at 109000 miles but only because it was burning equal amounts of oil and petrol.

Not paying cash for anything, whatever I can is going on personal contract hire

like a car, home, furniture, TV?, phone etc.

Cash will go on investments and hedges.

it's not hedges mate it's twigs you want to invest in

3338538477_7e1b62346b.jpg?v=0

Forever and a day. The guy who I split up with on the big trek found one in a hedge. He badly bent one of the rods in the engine and merely bent it back and sealed up the engine. He then vanished for 9 months touring Europe slowly. He kept it running for 1 more year using a scaffold pole as the exhaust and a beer can for the MOT as the silencers (it passed) He got rid of it at 109000 miles but only because it was burning equal amounts of oil and petrol.

tempted by a cb750 pre-80s look, price seems really low for engines not even up to half their expected life, and a historical classic, and a great basis for customising and pick up a 12m MOTed standard bike for a few hundred :blink: seems too good to be true. I used to have a Hornet 600 so i'm thinking it might have some of that smoothness and power but without the mind of a psycho killer.

my-cb-750-custom-chopper-project-3375.jpg

very me ;)

MrPin, I get the idea you know me! :D

I would love the new Slash 'Appetite' Epiphone. And a PRS with maple fingerboard. And also an EVH Wolfgang (DROOL).

You will get more enjoyment finding a band or other musicians to play/jam with than you will from buying another guitar. Believe me, I understand how enticing they are!

I've been playing for 10 years now, pretty good technically regards the rock. Rarely played in a band. Really need to :(

Edinburgh ain't great for it...

Learning the changes (jazz/blues etc) right now, need to do something!

You play in a band? Links?

£30,000 !!

mountain bikes, gliders and kayaks!

Like Guitarman001 a friend of mine has a thing for guitars, has twenty of them (antfoote on YouTube) unlike me though he has not lost any money selling on guitars and amps. Most of my stuff has depreciated and this wasn't unexpected (the fire in the garage was though and that wiped out a few assets lol).

Council Dweller, this is a spiritual awakening for me and the video links ring true. My wife earns considerably more than I do and loves her job so it's a no brainer for us and if we have any money spare it will come off our mortgage and not be blown on stuff we can live without.

Edited by tomposh101