House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Fury As Petrol Hits £1.40 A Litre

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/220462/Fury-as-petrol-hits-1-40-a-litre/

Happy new year. More of the same.

---

The RAC’s Adrian Tink warned: “Motorists are reaching breaking point. Many are already changing their habits and walking to work, but for people who live in rural areas there’s not much choice. The way the trend is going, it’s hard to see an end to it.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/220462/Fury-as-petrol-hits-1-40-a-litreFury-as-petrol-hits-1-40-a-litre#ixzz19lV1hilX

Hand me the Seroxat, I can't take it anymore, WALKING to work?!

Be interesting to see if there is a breaking point. So far people will only have their large vehicles taken from their cold, dead hands. And the amount of driving the average person does in a year is quite incredible. Like going for a stroll in their local neighbourhood is not in most peoples vocabulary.. driving long distance to do some paid activity is.

The gov't uses the fuel production companies as proxy tax collectors, esso, shell and BP etc should replace their signs with neon HMRC ones, it would be a tad more honest.

Edited by Chef

The gov't uses the fuel production companies as proxy tax collectors, esso, shell and BP etc should replace their signs with neon HMRC ones, it would be a tad more honest.

I'm surprised they don't put up big signs pointing out just how much of each litre goes to the government, it would only help them.

Things will certainly get interesting if there's a re-run of the fuel protests.

I doubt it will happen. Last time the freight transport bunch were moaning they were calling for special rate for hauliers, but not for anyone else. Not the kind of message that gathers any support at all.

Can we expect a front page Express article, complete with smiling family holding a baby, standing in front of a petrol station with the headline:

"Petrol prices soar to record highs !! "

Nah - didn't think so.

It's probably one of the tax's I don't mind paying.Most people can cut down on their fuel bill if they want to.

Try cycling or combine journeys choose a more fuel efficient car when choosing where to live get some where closer to work.

With income tax you don't get a choice.

It will be interesting to see if tax revenues from petrol/diesel fall. Not seen any figures but I'm guessing every time they have increased the tax on fuel revenues have gone up.

However they might now be close to the point where this won't happen, new increases will decrease revenues. Luckily the govt will have already projected that the increase will bring in more tax and therefore have already spent the money they haven't got creating an even larger deficit.

It will be interesting to see if tax revenues from petrol/diesel fall. Not seen any figures but I'm guessing every time they have increased the tax on fuel revenues have gone up.

However they might now be close to the point where this won't happen, new increases will decrease revenues. Luckily the govt will have already projected that the increase will bring in more tax and therefore have already spent the money they haven't got creating an even larger deficit.

We are such a cynical bunch on here - I love it :D

Edited by MrFlibble

It's probably one of the tax's I don't mind paying.Most people can cut down on their fuel bill if they want to.

Try cycling or combine journeys choose a more fuel efficient car when choosing where to live get some where closer to work.

With income tax you don't get a choice.

and the food in the shops?

the spares in the bike shops?

and the council costs to keep and maintain the paths?

fuel is in just about everything we need.

There was a guy on R5 saying driving has decreased 4% as an average last year and another drop is expected this year...

Can we expect a front page Express article, complete with smiling family holding a baby, standing in front of a petrol station with the headline:

"Petrol prices soar to record highs !! "

Nah - didn't think so.

Sooner or later house prices are going to have to come down. As more and more of peoples disposable income is spent on essentials like gas, electric, petrol and groceries there will simply be less to spend on buying and servicing an overpriced pile of bricks. The sooner the Sheeple get with the programme the better. All it will take now is interest rates to notch up to 2 or 3% and it will be GAME OVER - Insert New Coin. The whole nation is a sitting duck.

I tend to buy largish cars secondhand as they are cheaper than smaller ones by a large margin. As petrol rises the prices of larger cars will fall offsetting the extra cost of buying fuel. I only do about 5-7k miles a year so know it makes sense.

There was a guy on R5 saying driving has decreased 4% as an average last year and another drop is expected this year...

Great news. A lot of my fuel goes in queueing traffic, so less congestion means I burn less fuel.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/tax_receipts/table1-2.pdf

Fuel duties year on year increases without fail. I'd be interested to know if the 09/10 figure was anywhere near projected, that's a big increase.

2001/02 - 21917

2008/09 - 24615

2009/10 - 26370 - Projected guess

Petroleum Revenue Tax

2001/02 - 1310

2008/09 - 2567

2009/10 - 1210 - Projected guess

They can try to tax me more but I'll just cut back even more in other areas!

I may well take up my bosses flex time offer ie. do +1.5 hours a day thus saving 1 whole day commuting.

I will also drive slower and resolve myself to spending EVEN less. Currently I'm the irritating johnny who drives at 50mph on the motorway come tuesday I'm going 45mph.

Sooner or later house prices are going to have to come down. As more and more of peoples disposable income is spent on essentials like gas, electric, petrol and groceries there will simply be less to spend on buying and servicing an overpriced pile of bricks. The sooner the Sheeple get with the programme the better. All it will take now is interest rates to notch up to 2 or 3% and it will be GAME OVER - Insert New Coin. The whole nation is a sitting duck.

the law of unitended consequences.

rather than bust up the broken banks, they try to keep them afloat with low rates, so they can lend more.

sadly, they arent lending more, so the Government makes up with spending themselves, and the CBs are forced to support this with free money ( charged at interest)

this means more money sloshing about and nowhere to invest, except in places that will take money for no production...so stock markets take it all up, forcing up asset prices.

this makes lending more difficult and expensive in cash flow terms.

so the banks are kept afloat, but the net effect on the people, the wealth of the country, is they are squeezed.

raising rates and busting a few banks would have squeezed debtors and benefitted savers....and commodities would have kept low as the indebted would have been squeezed.

in any case, failing to tackle the problem....excess DEBT, results in misery...except for the chosen recipients of the Government largess.

I don't know but I am seeing a lot of people completely run out of petrol at work and regularly need to borrow my petrol can to get some.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/tax_receipts/tax-receipts-and-taxpayers.pdf

Looks like this has possible the final figures.

2009/10 - 26,197 fuel duty slightly under what was predicted.

It would appear that alcohol has had the same magic YoY increase no matter how high they increase the taxes, trouble is I can't see this magic continuing.

Corporation tax is interesting as is the VAT, although their is the VAT decrease to consider. However if you are taking Laffer view surely the tax should have gone up?

rather than bust up the broken banks, they try to keep them afloat with low rates, so they can lend more.

sadly, they arent lending more, so the Government makes up with spending themselves, and the CBs are forced to support this with free money ( charged at interest)

this means more money sloshing about and nowhere to invest, except in places that will take money for no production...so stock markets take it all up, forcing up asset prices.

this makes lending more difficult and expensive in cash flow terms.

so the banks are kept afloat, but the net effect on the people, the wealth of the country, is they are squeezed.

raising rates and busting a few banks would have squeezed debtors and benefitted savers....and commodities would have kept low as the indebted would have been squeezed.

in any case, failing to tackle the problem....excess DEBT, results in misery...except for the chosen recipients of the Government largess.

Indeed fury my ar$e, the bulk of the population have no idea how they have been screwed by the currency devaluers - all to save a few profligate idiots and keep the bonuses going to employees in BANKRUPT companies.

Suck it up, shut up and say goodbye to your retirement.

Edited by OnlyMe

I doubt it will happen. Last time the freight transport bunch were moaning they were calling for special rate for hauliers, but not for anyone else. Not the kind of message that gathers any support at all.

I noticed that too.

And they never mention that (unlike commuters paying travel costs from post tax income) they can reclaim the VAT on fuel they use and that the rest of their fuel costs are tax deductible.

Because the government knows it can get away with this. The British people are all Jaw jaw rather than war war. They won't rise up and be disobedient there hasn't even been a single general strike. Thus the evil statists can crank the pain x100000 if they want as the British people wont do squat!

Compare to Thailand, unfair elections, Bangkok gets turned to a war zone. HK wants VAT? half the population turn up with pitch forks and 'encourage' the government to change its mind. High inflation in China and no democracy? Stand and be gunned down enmasse.

It would appear that alcohol has had the same magic YoY increase no matter how high they increase the taxes, trouble is I can't see this magic continuing.

Corporation tax is interesting as is the VAT, although their is the VAT decrease to consider. However if you are taking Laffer view surely the tax should have gone up?

Look at the splits in alcohol. Alcohol duties decreased when they put it up a few years ago on spirits.