House Price Crash Forum

Barratts - 'pan Meadows' Isle Of Wight

HOLA441

Pan Meadows Isle of Wight

Oh no its that "top class" developer, Barratts again :lol:

In case you were wondering on the name, 'Pan' is named after 'Pan Estate' which is an already established estate which is generally seen as being where the 'dregs' of the Isle of Wight live. Housing association, and a place where the police know very well. Generally a bit of a skanky area, you know, where if you park for more that 2 minutes your car is up on blocks, type area. Pan Estate is about 3 minutes walk to KFC (if walking is in the remit). Yes it's that sort of area.

The "top class" developer, Barratts really have done thier homework on this one, not even the Council helped with this so must have been a rush through job. By calling this new development 'Pan Meadows' they have instantly deogratised it before it is even built. The first phase of 800 odd new homes in a cut off island county which is an unemployment blackspot with 535 council jobs going next (this) year, and expensive ferries, it seems Barratts might, just might be a little disappointed in the sales of this one. Why oh why didn't they name is something more aspiring and appealing to the masses of the Island? The association alone with Pan Estate is alone a major blunder on the part of this developer. Saying that, their building quality / control is another in a long line of building blunders on the Isle of Wight.

If you need a miracle, Barratts might be able to offer some much needed advice on how to do it.

Out of interest is there anyone else who has an 800+ home Barratts development in their area, which seems a little bit 'large' and ridiculous for the area?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Seems a shame to me that they are going to build it on greenfield sites. :unsure: I guess it wouldn't be called 'Pan Meadows' otherwise! :D Would affordable rented and shared ownership housing be better suited built on brownfield sites?

HOLA444

Seems a shame to me that they are going to build it on greenfield sites. :unsure: I guess it wouldn't be called 'Pan Meadows' otherwise! :D Would affordable rented and shared ownership housing be better suited built on brownfield sites?

Like Hawthorn Meadows in East Cowes was, the trouble with that on the Island is that the existing Brownfield sites are not suitable for building on. As Barratts have discovered at Hawthorn Meadows, East Cowes. The land is effectively spongy marshland. The Victorians didn't want those views for a reason you know.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Well if they're going to build some peasant housing, they may as well put it in the existing slum that is Pan - my islands only poor area.

It needs a Israel style wall around it imo.

Pan Meadows "A huge DSS dumping ground" sponsored by Barratts.

Hope that one comes up on Google.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Pan Meadows Isle of Wight

Oh no its that "top class" developer, Barratts again :lol:

In case you were wondering on the name, 'Pan' is named after 'Pan Estate' which is an already established estate which is generally seen as being where the 'dregs' of the Isle of Wight live. Housing association, and a place where the police know very well. Generally a bit of a skanky area, you know, where if you park for more that 2 minutes your car is up on blocks, type area. Pan Estate is about 3 minutes walk to KFC (if walking is in the remit). Yes it's that sort of area.

As someone who's "3 minutes from KFC" (it just happens to be there, it wasn't part of the decision), I have a problem with this notion of the "sort of area" that I live in being decided on this basis.

tim

HOLA449

As someone who's "3 minutes from KFC" (it just happens to be there, it wasn't part of the decision), I have a problem with this notion of the "sort of area" that I live in being decided on this basis.

tim

Alas you're right, due to the smells emitting, i'd play it safe and say 10 minutes is a decent distance.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Oh come of it the Pans not that bad.

I dont live there but have heard bad stories about both Pan and Oakfield in Ryde.

But as someone who lived in South London all her life until moving to the Island I actually find both areas a breeze compared to Brixton and Camberwell both areas which

I worked in and both areas where I had to walk at night - I haven't heard about any drive by shootings in Pan and Oakfield since I have been here, but there were dozens where I used to live - witnessed two myself.

HOLA4413

I dont live there but have heard bad stories about both Pan and Oakfield in Ryde.

But as someone who lived in South London all her life until moving to the Island I actually find both areas a breeze compared to Brixton and Camberwell both areas which

I worked in and both areas where I had to walk at night - I haven't heard about any drive by shootings in Pan and Oakfield since I have been here, but there were dozens where I used to live - witnessed two myself.

'Pan Estate' has a negative reputation on the Isle of Wight, as a place where the 'skanks' live. Pan Meadows and Barratts are not doing themselves justice by deogratising a new build in this way. Comparing London to Pan isn't fair, but is none the less well known to be a deprived area by the people on the island. There is no escaping that.

Maybe Barratts should take the stance in saying "Move to Pan Meadows, at least it's not as bad as Brixton."

Wouldn't work. IMHO.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I doubt anyone would be daft enough to name a new development next to Brixton " Brixton Meadows".

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

'Pan Estate' has a negative reputation on the Isle of Wight, as a place where the 'skanks' live. Pan Meadows and Barratts are not doing themselves justice by deogratising a new build in this way. Comparing London to Pan isn't fair, but is none the less well known to be a deprived area by the people on the island. There is no escaping that.

Maybe Barratts should take the stance in saying "Move to Pan Meadows, at least it's not as bad as Brixton."

Wouldn't work. IMHO.

Yes I know it is but all the overners or down from Londons agree with me that the Pan is not as bad as parts of the mainland and thats includes someone I know who works in housing on the Island, he worked in housing in Peckham before he moved here, and as he says the Islanders have no clue what a deprived area really looks like

I have been through Pan on a bus as recently as last week I didnt see any cars on bricks - I didnt see any gangs on street corners in fact the Pan was part of the Christmas illumination tour I was on before Christmas, lots of houses with deccies and lights outside , do that in parts of London and within a day they would have been kicked over, destroyed or nicked.

I agree that for some Islanders the Pan is a crime ridden deprived area and yes it is for the Island and I can understand why some people would choose not to live there

But remember you are talking about a place where the discovery of a used syringe in Binstead made front page news in the local paper