House Price Crash Forum
Doctor Gloom

If All 2Nd Home Owners In The Uk Paid Double Standard Council Tax...

The government / councils around the UK would reap £620,000,000 in revenue to help stave of local austerity measures, such as closing essensial amenities, if second home council tax was doubled. Each of the 48 counties in the UK could have its local budget increased by at least £5,000,000 just by doubling second home council tax rates, on top of the discounted rates they alreadt reap.

In these tough times isn't it about time rich 2nd home owners paid slightly more than their already discounted tax rates? and at the same time eased local austerity measures paid for by people who can best afford it.

As a comparison it costs approximately £6,000 per year to keep a 40 foot yacht on a mooring, on the Isle of Wight. Currently the 2nd home tax rate is a discounted and lowly £1100. I suspect other councils may still only charge half rates instead of 90% here on the Isle of Wight where we have 4,000 second homes.

Just remember that when your local disability restbite group ceases its funding or your local swimming pool shuts to save £60,000.

If all the 2nd home owners choose to sell up on the back of this, great, it will help the supposed national housing shortage and might actually bring societies back together again. :o:o:o

It's a great idea except most of the media have second homes so it'll get a bad press. Run it via a public vote thing and get it debated in parliament

Oh hang on ain't they got thrum too?

The government / councils around the UK would reap £620,000,000 in revenue to help stave of local austerity measures, such as closing essensial amenities, if second home council tax was doubled. Each of the 48 counties in the UK could have its local budget increased by at least £5,000,000 just by doubling second home council tax rates, on top of the discounted rates they alreadt reap.

In these tough times isn't it about time rich 2nd home owners paid slightly more than their already discounted tax rates? and at the same time eased local austerity measures paid for by people who can best afford it.

As a comparison it costs approximately £6,000 per year to keep a 40 foot yacht on a mooring, on the Isle of Wight. Currently the 2nd home tax rate is a discounted and lowly £1100. I suspect other councils may still only charge half rates instead of 90% here on the Isle of Wight where we have 4,000 second homes.

Just remember that when your local disability restbite group ceases its funding or your local swimming pool shuts to save £60,000.

If all the 2nd home owners choose to sell up on the back of this, great, it will help the supposed national housing shortage and might actually bring societies back together again. :o:o:o

The problem is that a large percentage (possibly the majority) of people with two homes are not double house owners.

They are people with a house in one location and a job in another where they are forced to rent a second property to live in during the week.

You cannot easily write a rule to distinguish between the two

tim

The problem is that a large percentage (possibly the majority) of people with two homes are not double house owners.

They are people with a house in one location and a job in another where they are forced to rent a second property to live in during the week.

tim

F&ck them! That's not a reason for having two homes. Work where you live not 4 hours commute away.

The UK government will implement this, they'll double the council tax....

Then quietly remove the for all second home owners clause. At which everybody opens their extortion tax demand and a band A property is £2000.00.

At which the government offers generous loans to people to pay this off at 2600% APR interest. Charge for breaking your legs is £150 for each leg. + 25% surcharge single leg suppliment.

They should have been paying double council tax if not triple or more for the past decades . Whatever government is in power as all this starts to crash, they'll have no choice but to raise 2nd home council tax. And then some too!

It still astounds me that they haven't been shown up by the media and politicians, considering they kept telling us FTBers, we couldn't get a home because there wasn't enough supply. Truly sickening.

Which professions gave us the most "2nd home" investors I wonder? Could it be politicians (with taxpayer money), media types (with TV license money) and finance execs (with everyones money)?

tim

Its not about people who rent somewhere to live during the week, its about people who own two homes

Great post Dr Glooooooom. Make the people who are most able to afford it pay up instead of making the poor members of the community take all the financial pain.

There is a brilliant letter in response to this subject in the Isle of Wight press last week so I think the revolution is about to start.

It would seem you are not alone in your views

http://iwcp.co.uk/ne...-pay-36448.aspx

Edited by Daft Boy

tim

Travel Lodge £9 a night.

Great post Dr Glooooooom. Make the people who are most able to afford it pay up instead of making the poor members of the community take all the financial pain.

There is a brilliant letter in response to this subject in the Isle of Wight press last week so I think the revolution is about to start.

It would seem you are not alone in your views

http://iwcp.co.uk/ne...-pay-36448.aspx

So there is. To the Bat Cave Robin, we have work to do.

They should have been paying double council tax if not triple or more for the past decades . Whatever government is in power as all this starts to crash, they'll have no choice but to raise 2nd home council tax. And then some too!

It still astounds me that they haven't been shown up by the media and politicians, considering they kept telling us FTBers, we couldn't get a home because there wasn't enough supply. Truly sickening.

Which professions gave us the most "2nd home" investors I wonder? Could it be politicians (with taxpayer money), media types (with TV license money) and finance execs (with everyones money)?

2nd home owners need to be exposed for getting off very very very very very lightly in comparison to the vunerable, working class, elderly, disabled and just about everyone who needs some sort of local amenity / charity to help them in basic day to day living, of which for many the rug is being pulled from underneth their feet.

Meanwhile posh knob pulls up outside his 2nd or 3rd home and nothing changes...

With council tax being the de-facto housing tax I'd like to see some much more realistic and fair policies.

The IFS recently had a kind of white paper (linked to of the hpc homeage, of 100 or so pages) proposing a VAT style tax / income tax upon housing. But looked at reasons for/against etc. detailing the winners, loses and possible reactions to such a tax.

In 1991 an house under £40k in value would be band A for council tax.

Nowadays, many houses have inflated in value faster than inflation and millions of band A properties would warrant higher council tax bands when compared against any other single measure of inflation.

If we are not to have a HPC, then we should at least tax these people accordingly.

The trouble is the husband will own one home and the wife the other.

t would be a requirement that a property is occupied or rented out for a minimum of 48 weeks a year. This would be enforced the same way that holiday homes are not allowed to be occupied for more than 48 weeks a year.

I think I'd be on the fence on this.

I imagine that most second homes are holiday homes.. people from Liverpool and Manchester buying homes in north Wales, Hooray Henry's from London heading down to the south and south west for their hols. I expect it's no coincidence that the last time this was proposed it was by the MP for Southampton.

I have no doubt that charging double council tax would encourage many people to sell up. This might be great in terms of house prices, but I would be concerned to implement it very slowly to see how it effected trade and tourism in these areas which depend on it.

What I definitely don't agree with is that second home owners should have DISCOUNTED council tax as they do currently (between 10% and 50% discounted rate). I would start by getting rid of this.. then seeing what effect it had before rolling out any plans to double it. I also wouldn't let local councils keep their grubby hands on it. Give it back to government to go towards the budget deficit.

I think I'd be on the fence on this.

I imagine that most second homes are holiday homes.. people from Liverpool and Manchester buying homes in north Wales, Hooray Henry's from London heading down to the south and south west for their hols. I expect it's no coincidence that the last time this was proposed it was by the MP for Southampton.

I have no doubt that charging double council tax would encourage many people to sell up. This might be great in terms of house prices, but I would be concerned to implement it very slowly to see how it effected trade and tourism in these areas which depend on it.

What I definitely don't agree with is that second home owners should have DISCOUNTED council tax as they do currently (between 10% and 50% discounted rate). I would start by getting rid of this.. then seeing what effect it had before rolling out any plans to double it. I also wouldn't let local councils keep their grubby hands on it. Give it back to government to go towards the budget deficit.

Anyone know what the current tax rate is for people who rent out second homes as holiday lets? It's obviously a 'business' so would a business rate apply also? Is council tax taken into consideration on tax returns?

I have no idea, perhaps someone could elighten me to the tax / financial workings of a business holiday let.

It's obviously a 'business' so would a business rate apply also?

Sometimes IIRC

Is council tax taken into consideration on tax returns?

Yes it is tax deductable from all businesses.

I have no idea, perhaps someone could elighten me to the tax / financial workings of a business holiday let.

Biz holiday let is formerly Class A income. It is taxed as if it were normal income with the exception that because it is unearned income there is no NIC on it. Also expenses of running it can be claimed.

Sometimes IIRC

Yes it is tax deductable from all businesses.

Biz holiday let is formerly Class A income. It is taxed as if it were normal income with the exception that because it is unearned income there is no NIC on it. Also expenses of running it can be claimed.

Much obliged. Might explain why a lot of 'holiday lets' are almost fully unavailable for any particular year.

Tax friendly indeedy.

I don't get any discount for running a second car! :angry: