House Price Crash Forum

An Unqualified Analysis Of The Uk Economy

HOLA441

here i am. talking about economic events and futures of the uk, when i should be watching the 'match' shopping for M&S cushions with my pregnant girlfriend. picking a new car from the car supermarket - or simply going to a supermarket. perhaps a day out to the coast ?

no. i cant afford it. why. i have no home of my own and am saving up continually as price rise out of my reach with no government action and even less local authority. in fact, all i do get from my local authority are rising poll tax demands for increasingly less efficient services.

my bankers are happy, but its upsetting B&Q.

you see, while i bunker down i cant be on the high street fuelling the wider economy. all those sales now on telly are nice, but without my own home - where can i put those curtains, that shed and that icelandic bathroom suite. i have deposits to save, and by the look of it. a long repayment which is high, teetering on the low IR and 30 years long. i cant afford fancy new curtains. i cant even afford a 10 day annual holiday. plus i have to save.

hello NTL ? no sorry, i cant afford cable. hello safestyle windows - no i dont own my own home for your pvc windows - despite a bog off offer. you bog off. readers digest. oxfam. children in need. maybe later when im more settled. besides. i have to change my address every 6-12 months being a third class renter. what would you want with me ? my money.? sorry, im saving a deposit.

subscription to times, diy magazine, which washing machine ? i cant. 2 day london break, novotel £35 per weekend in cumbria, 3 day folk festivals.? - i wish. im saving dont forget. in fact forget it. forget eveything. im saving and dont want to be disturbed. my ship will come in. my place in the sun. once i get the full custody of that terrace and yard. there'll be no stopping me. ill need everything from laminates to rising damp courses. yes ill take that widescreen. perhaps not. ive forgot that the deposit took the lot. is there any overtime. no. ahh well. i hope things pick up. the bosses wont tell. well he says, no ones buying. i know im not.

HOLA442
HOLA443
I'm so bored with saving.  I feel like I am the only other person in England that is saving.  Everyone I know is financially ruined but me.  But they've all got great CD collections and great curtains. 

Its lonely being the only one who didn't join the swingcart of credit, credit, credit.

You are not alone. And it will pay off handsomely in the long run.

Edited by cgnao

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm a saver too and know no others!..........£40k pa and living on rice and steamed vegetables in a tiny flat to get that deposit while everyone else i know is on a spending spree...............saying things like ''you can't take it with you''...(money to the grave!)

Edited by Michael

HOLA446
my bankers are happy, but its upsetting B&Q.

Gordon Brown is also happy you are not spending money on imports or taking money overseas to spend on holidays to make Britain's balance of payments even worse. Nimbys are happy new houses are not being built near them so whoever lives in your would-be terrace-house can move up the property ladder. Conservationists are happy more of the countryside isn't being built on. Large numbers of blades of grass are happy because they have a nice home in an empty field and they are not concerned that you are not as privileged as them.

Maybe your bankers are not as happy as you think: they would probably make more money from you if you were scuba-diving in debt.

HOLA447

right_freds_dead,

I am continually making this those points. We may be well beyond the point of no return - borrowers maxed out and savers crippled by low rates - all concerened have been stuffed apart from those that have romped off with asset sales to sunnier shores. All round disastrous way to run an economy and the remnants are a hugely elevated cost base which is shedding jobs all on its own before the consumer recessionary ones kick in - smashing, marvellous.

My spending is limited to basics and spending on skills/materials that will improve earning capacity and reduce reliance on one particular field. Phone contract gone, all telecoms reduced to cheapest rate plans with no ties, office gone (long ago), car - should be good for at least 50K if not 100K, may even start servicing myself and the list goes on. Magazines - unbelievable - £5 cover price to read a production full of ads - what on earth is going on here?

Talking of space - just how mcuh are the new-homed cat swigners going to be able to put in some of the match boxes being built today - incredible when you think about it - if you could think of a policy almost guaranteed to cripple a consumer economy this is it! I haven't seen any real detailed research done into expenditure patterns and how much is spent as a result of housing churn and tansaction but it must be a very significant amount. B&Q's CE reckoned that latent spending by existing owners would propr their sales - doesn't look like it does it?

HOLA448
HOLA449
Add me to the list. Its frustrating when i have to tell people i've got no money... but they know i mean no money to waste rather than i'm bogged down in debt like them.

I get that all the time when I say i've got no money, my mates say "you must be the richest one here"

Yes I have the money but its set aside for more important things, like a debt free future, ie. No mortgage.

The cars,holidays, and plasma screens will come when the house is paid for.

HOLA4410
rather thanb waiting, perhaps its best instead to commit a minor crime just to spend 3 years in a womans prison. i dont mind the tatoos or the smell of richmond ciggerettes.

the buggery would get me down after a while i think.

I'm a saver too living with mummy, never go out, havnt been on holiday in years, lifes dull and boring, i work then each month put my money away, i have about no money to _waste_ on myself. It apears on the surface that everyone is better off than me, no matter how hard i work or how many qualifications i get. The constant hum drum of it all is compounded by people who like to comment on their latest purchase.

but... and i'm not one for words of encouragement

I KNOW we are doing the right thing, no matter what angle i look at, failing getting run over tommorow i KNOW we are doing the right thing.

We need to put ourselves in a position where we are finanicially strong so we can take advantage of the econonic trough.

Stick it out and lie in wait like a viper ready to strike when the prey COMES TO YOU.

I am the typo king

Edited by theChuz

HOLA4411
the buggery would get me down after a while i think.

I'm a saver too living with mummy, never go out, havnt been on holiday in years, lifes dull and boring, i work then each month put my money away, i have about no money to _waste_ on myself. It apears on the surface that everyone is better off than me, no matter how hard i work or how many qualifications i get.  The constant hum drum of it all is compounded by people who like to comment on their latest purchase.

but... and i'm not one for words of encouragement

I KNOW we are doing the right thing, no matter what angle i look at, failing getting run over tommorow i KNOW we are doing the right thing.

We need to put ourselves in a position where we are finanicially strong so we can take advantage of the econonic trough.

Stick it out and lie in wait like a viper ready to strike when the prey COMES TO YOU.

I am the typo king

at least i feel better than i did three or four months ago. i can see at least some results and a change in sentiment happening currently.

gone is the 'houses will only go up' mentality and at least some balanced water cooler debate is now available.

HOLA4412
at least i feel better than i did three or four months ago. i can see at least some results and a change in sentiment happening currently.

gone is the 'houses will only go up' mentality and at least some balanced water cooler debate is now available.

Im still having to deal with the "they wont let it happen" and "i just cant see it" type of comments, i can take some solice though because i know the people i work with arn't exactly financial gurus.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
hello

im just imnterested why you lot didnt buy 5 years ago?

how old are you lot

?

luclily i bought in 2001 and im 26

Im 26 too, i didnt buy because i thought i had all the time in the world. I wanted to do a few things before getting to tied down, then at 23 -24 i figured it was time to buy... until i saw the prices.

Smack bang wallop here i am.

HOLA4415

I have always been a tight git when it comes to money.

I FTBd in 1995 and paid the house off in 2001 by overpaying. I have continued to save and invest since paying off the house. I am lucky to earn a high wage, yet I save most of it for the future.

I drive a 16yr old (but wonderful) Jap sports car, use cheap dial up internet access, no mobile phone, no DVD, have a 5yr old PC, no Sky TV etc.

I plan to move up to my next house without needing a mortgage and I plan to semi retire in a nice big house well before the age of 50.

Saving has its advantages. IMO these advantages outweigh flash cars, sharp suits and the latest tacky high street IT gadgets.

HOLA4416
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Saving has its advantages. IMO these advantages outweigh flash cars, sharp suits and the latest tacky high street IT gadgets.

The main advantage is early retirement and the joy of spending it in your twilight years. :D

HOLA4417
Im 26 too, i didnt buy because i thought i had all the time in the world. I wanted to do a few things before getting to tied down, then at 23 -24 i figured it was time to buy... until i saw the prices.

Smack bang wallop here i am.

i kniow what you mean

i copuldnt wait to leave homwe

buying was abnout the same price as renting bit more so i bought

i woluldnt pay the same for my house as i paid then, £45000 pouynds, it about £135000 pounds now

dont feel tied down though.

hev you done the things you wnated tgo do before you bought - hiope so?

HOLA4418
i kniow what you mean

i copuldnt wait to leave homwe

buying was abnout the same price as renting bit more so i bought

i woluldnt pay the same for my house as i paid then, £45000 pouynds, it about £135000 pounds now

dont feel tied down though.

hev you done the things you wnated tgo do before you bought - hiope so?

either your taking the piss out of my typo's or you are worse than me, either way :lol:

Nah the irony is that i realised i needed to start saving so i didnt get round to traveling, flying a plane etc.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
ive got  anew lpatop and my finger is widew than each key i keep prfeswsing two letterfs each time

i hate lasptops

t6he backspacvew key cant find it yet

Took me a while to get used to the laptop, though even nowadays i hit the wrong keys, backspace will still be over to the top right but probably not on the top row.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Saving and saving with no clear end in sight takes huge willpower in today's world.

Which is why so few people are doing it.

Which is why you'll be able to benefit in a major way at some point in the next few years.  :)

partly.the other reason why people don't save is because they can't afford to if they have boarded the mortgage/debt train already.even renters aren't immune from the effects of rising council tax/petrol/utility bills.

more so if they are in single domiciles(which account for a very large chunk of BTL these days)

the singles have the least disposable income,the most debt,and the highest risk of financial collapse if they become unemployed.....risk that your average landlord has conveniently forgotten about.....but they will be learning the hard way in the coming months.

it's already happening,just look at the unemployment figures rising now,there are going to be casualties as a result.

HOLA4423

i also think being a renter, you dont want to spend money on a flat you have no intention of staying in the long term. i wont be laying floors,carpets,kitchens and adding anything anywhere. i have no place to put the whilpool bath.

weekly bills, clothes, vehicles and entertainments are the main. the rest is saved.

HOLA4424

Cool people save money.

PS It's quite disturbiing how people are so completely indoctrined with consumerist ideals. I disagree completely with the:

* 'live for the day'

* 'you can't take it with you'

* 'you only live once'

* 'enjoy your money'

* 'you'll regret it when you're older'

* 'work to live, don't live to work'

horse shit.

I like the idea of being in a better postition tomorrow compared with today. This I achieve through saving. It gives me a bit of hope for the future, which is worth a lot more than a 35 yr mortgage on a studio shit hole with a chav-mobile squeezed in to it's allocated parking space.

HOLA4425
Guest pioneer31

I agree that saving is soul destroying. My problem is that I don't know where to draw the line (I want to save every penny). I find myself deciding not to buy that cheap £5 CD, when it would make no difference to the overall outcome.

It's important to save but not to the extent that you become miserable otherwise the saving period starts to become a prison sentence.

I too feel poor when I look around - my mobile is 6 yrs old (hardly ever use it), my car is 6 yrs old too (hardly use that), I never buy clothes, don't drink, don't smoke, no sky tv. I feel deprived and yet I'm the one who's causing the deprivation!

I hope all this saving is worth it :unsure:

Edited by pioneer31