House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Second Car?

I'm toying with the idea of having two cars. Keeping current hot hatch and buying a Defender or other 4x4 as a fun car.

There's the obvious cost of doubling up servicing and road tax but that's not a concern compared to depreciation costs as I would otherwise be changing my one car more frequently. So it would probably save me a few quid.

Does anybody use two cars in this way and does it work or is it a waste of time / bit of a pain?

The idea of the Defender is that I like its looks, high seating position, don't need to worry about it getting dirty, and I would feel happy about parking it anywhere overnight. It's not because of offroad or ice / snow driving ability and that has anyway been discussed extensively on another thread.

I'm toying with the idea of having two cars. Keeping current hot hatch and buying a Defender or other 4x4 as a fun car.

There's the obvious cost of doubling up servicing and road tax but that's not a concern compared to depreciation costs as I would otherwise be changing my one car more frequently. So it would probably save me a few quid.

Does anybody use two cars in this way and does it work or is it a waste of time / bit of a pain?

The idea of the Defender is that I like its looks, high seating position, don't need to worry about it getting dirty, and I would feel happy about parking it anywhere overnight. It's not because of offroad or ice / snow driving ability and that has anyway been discussed extensively on another thread.

How about...

fiat-panda-4x4-4-large.jpg

although saying that, Italian electrics & water....

How about...

fiat-panda-4x4-4-large.jpg

although saying that, Italian electrics & water....

Another vote for the Panda 4x4! :) 4 wheels @ each corner gives it excellent off-road ability.

The idea of the Defender is that I like its looks, high seating position, don't need to worry about it getting dirty, and I would feel happy about parking it anywhere overnight.

You say that but I don't imagine they have great security as standard and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a thriving "used parts" market nowadays.

As to the principle of a second car - its a large expense if you don't need it. Wife wants a car, would probably be cheaper to let her take taxis on those car needed occasions.

Bl00dy hell Frank, you Sk-ing per chance with all this splashing of cash? :unsure:

Saved up for years so that I could do full time academic research without needing to earn, left work to finally do this last year and decided the motivation wasn't genuinely there any more so knocked it on the head before starting. Now back at work as I was always quite happy working, which leaves me with a lot of disposable income that I have never acquired the habit of spending and I have no wish to be the richest man in the cemetery. Like cars but not supercars so this seems one way to spend it.

Fiat Panda isn't sufficiently different from my existing car but ta for the suggestions guys.

This might sound nuts - but go for a Jimny.

Bought one two years ago as second car and it's cheap (paid 2K - 28K on clock) and great fun. It goes anywhere - mud, bogs, deep snow. You have 2wd, 4wd and low4wd options. It's as tough as old boots and will pull anything. I even pulled a Shogun out of the snow a couple of weeks ago - the driver was well embarrassed.

The only downside is that people assume you are gay.

Edit - emabarrassed to say spelt embarrassed wrong - think I got it rite this time

Actually having two cars is a bit of a pain!

Bought one two years ago as second car and it's cheap (paid 2K - 28K on clock) and great fun. It goes anywhere - mud, bogs, deep snow. You have 2wd, 4wd and low4wd options. It's as tough as old boots and will pull anything. I even pulled a Shogun out of the snow a couple of weeks ago - the driver was well embarrassed.

Edit - emabarrassed to say spelt embarrassed wrong - think I got it rite this time

Hmm, delicate stage in a relationship atm. If I turned up in a Jimny that might kill it off, however much I extolled its off-road abilities. Second hand Rangey at £25k would help though.

Fair play Frank, I hope you find what you are searching for. :)

Cheers :)

Actually having two cars is a bit of a pain!

Thnaks Mr Pin, care to elaborate? That's the sort of firts hand info I was looking for, is it more hassle than it's worth or is it still a pleasure to decide whilst munching the toast what car to drive today?

I have 3 completely different cars. You get bored of them all no matter how many you have, plus the costs are a pain but they each have their uses. I have to insure and mot two of them at the same time at Xmas which isn't great.

Just out of interest what kind of hot hatch did you get ?

Any good ?

I tried to edit my post last night to add a recommendation for a Jimny/SJ if Frank really wanted to do some off-roading but I think he wants to posture rather than walk the walk. Get a Cayenne Frank, TBF will hate you but I'll love you forever.

I have 3 completely different cars. You get bored of them all no matter how many you have, plus the costs are a pain but they each have their uses. I have to insure and mot two of them at the same time at Xmas which isn't great.

That was my concern, whether it is actually more interesting to keep changing my main one or have another. You're saying the former.

Just out of interest what kind of hot hatch did you get ?

Any good ?

Well, warm hatch. Great acceleration, just powers past everything and I haven't approached its cornering limits, unlike my Astra which I could get to go sideways on roundabouts. Fun when I want it to be and then very economical on long trips with cruise control doing all the work. It's overcome my lingering suspicion of diesels.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/seat/leon-hatchback/2-0-tdi-140-sport-5dr/summary/57713

I was warned off the 170 as being an over-bored out engine and likely to have problems.

I tried to edit my post last night to add a recommendation for a Jimny/SJ if Frank really wanted to do some off-roading but I think he wants to posture rather than walk the walk. Get a Cayenne Frank, TBF will hate you but I'll love you forever.

Posture indeed. The petrols are looking a bit cheap aren't they? I'm surprised TBF doesn't like them as he lives in Cheshire.

Well, warm hatch. Great acceleration, just powers past everything and I haven't approached its cornering limits, unlike my Astra which I could get to go sideways on roundabouts. Fun when I want it to be and then very economical on long trips with cruise control doing all the work. It's overcome my lingering suspicion of diesels.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/seat/leon-hatchback/2-0-tdi-140-sport-5dr/summary/57713

I was warned off the 170 as being an over-bored out engine and likely to have problems.

Just make sure you get rid of it before the warranty runs out - the VAG 2.0TDI engine has a nasty habit of oil pump failure, followed by engine and turbo failure.

Not one of VAG's best engines........

Just make sure you get rid of it before the warranty runs out - the VAG 2.0TDI engine has a nasty habit of oil pump failure, followed by engine and turbo failure.

Exactly. And what woman is interested in oil pump failure.

I personally can't see the need for a second car except . . . a camper.

Wonderful for holidays and weekends. Buy a classic VW camper and it's an investment too.

How can a Cosworth possibly compare with a steak-ready, camping gaz burner and a mini-fridge full of Sancerre?

Exactly. And what woman is interested in oil pump failure.

I personally can't see the need for a second car except . . . a camper.

Wonderful for holidays and weekends. Buy a classic VW camper and it's an investment too.

How can a Cosworth possibly compare with a steak-ready, camping gaz burner and a mini-fridge full of Sancerre?

I have t'missus on a camper hunt. Its cheaper to buy one from her country (central america) and have it decently repaired and shipped and registered in the UK rather than just buy one in the UK such are the prices here.

I have a Defender (technically I have two...), so I'm qualified to comment here. Unless you really want to go off road, haul filthy things, or tow massive loads, don't buy one. They're slow, noisy, uncomfortable, they leak and reliability is questionable. Yes, you can wind them up to 80 on the motor way, but you're looking at about 16 mpg if you keep it up. Range Rover - slow, with reliability issues, and much harder fix yourself - same prodigious thirst at the pump.

Don't get me wrong - I'd not swap my Defender for anything, but I'm generally towing large trailers or filling the back with building debris. I'm also pretty handy with a spanner, which is a significant cost saving.

If I was going to run a 2 car policy, I would run a Vectra or dull Peugeot as a daily driver, and get something stupid for the week end - an Elise, Caterham or similar.

I have t'missus on a camper hunt. Its cheaper to buy one from her country (central america) and have it decently repaired and shipped and registered in the UK rather than just buy one in the UK such are the prices here.

They're probably cheaper in Germany too - and there's plenty of choice, even for the old T2:

http://www.autoscout24.de

http://www.mobile.de

I have a Defender (technically I have two...), so I'm qualified to comment here. Unless you really want to go off road, haul filthy things, or tow massive loads, don't buy one. They're slow, noisy, uncomfortable, they leak and reliability is questionable. Yes, you can wind them up to 80 on the motor way, but you're looking at about 16 mpg if you keep it up. Range Rover - slow, with reliability issues, and much harder fix yourself - same prodigious thirst at the pump.

Don't get me wrong - I'd not swap my Defender for anything, but I'm generally towing large trailers or filling the back with building debris. I'm also pretty handy with a spanner, which is a significant cost saving.

If I was going to run a 2 car policy, I would run a Vectra or dull Peugeot as a daily driver, and get something stupid for the week end - an Elise, Caterham or similar.

Thanks for the voice of experience rxe - no Defender then :(

I will keep looking through the weekly local paper for something that catches my eye.

Thanks for the voice of experience rxe - no Defender then :(

I will keep looking through the weekly local paper for something that catches my eye.

If you want a good, but pricey off-roader you probably can't beat the Toyota Land Cruiser!

One of my friends has one(Series 80), and I think it's great! Pricey to fix (properly) though, and a a bit large!

A few Land-Cruiser enthuiasts on these pages!

I have gone down the opposite route, and have a cheesy convertible, with no luggage space, as my "weekender".

I do get cheap classic insurance though! :)

Hmm, delicate stage in a relationship atm. If I turned up in a Jimny that might kill it off, however much I extolled its off-road abilities. Second hand Rangey at £25k would help though.

:blink:

Let me get this straight - you are keen to pursue a relationship in which your choice of second car could be a decisive factor?

I'm really hoping this is a joke and my irony detector is somehow switched off.

Ho hum, to each their own. Sounds like a (longterm) very, very expensive mistake to me, and I should know!

Relating to the original point, rxe has it right, Defenders are like driving a tractor, very useful if you have a farm and are handy with a spanner- get something like an Elise, but don't drive it fast in the wet unless you're an expert.

:blink:

Let me get this straight - you are keen to pursue a relationship in which your choice of second car could be a decisive factor?

I'm really hoping this is a joke and my irony detector is somehow switched off.

Ho hum, to each their own. Sounds like a (longterm) very, very expensive mistake to me, and I should know!

Relating to the original point, rxe has it right, Defenders are like driving a tractor, very useful if you have a farm and are handy with a spanner- get something like an Elise, but don't drive it fast in the wet unless you're an expert.

Genuinely appreciate the concern but you're reading too much into that.

In fairness it tends to be the longitudinal versions of the 2.0 TDi (eg Passat, A4 etc) that give these problems. The transverse variants of the 2.0 TDi don't seem prone to oil pump failure and are pretty reliable in my experience.

In fairness it tends to be the longitudinal versions of the 2.0 TDi (eg Passat, A4 etc) that give these problems. The transverse variants of the 2.0 TDi don't seem prone to oil pump failure and are pretty reliable in my experience.

Good, thanks for giving me good news after the rush of bad.