House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sohpc

2 1/4 Million For A 2 Bed Flat In...totteridge

Still signs of insanity in the London market...

Not sure if I had 2.25 million to spend on a flat my ideal location would be Totteridge in Zone 4. it's ok...but not exactly brilliant.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/12533343?search_identifier=74d1b2f9987bac6ccadf86ab52e55bcc

Nicely done, but for that money, I'd want a better location than near ASDA.

Edited by sohpc

Still signs of insanity in the London market...

Not sure if I had 2.25 million to spend on a flat my ideal location would be Totteridge in Zone 4. it's ok...but not exactly brilliant.

North London always seems more costly than south, i dont get why. Wembley and Acton, in fact anywhere within a mile or so of the entire north circular always makes me miserable. Conversely, some of the southern hilly bits like Caterham and Whyteleafe seem lovely and comparitively cheap.

North London always seems more costly than south, i dont get why. Wembley and Acton, in fact anywhere within a mile or so of the entire north circular always makes me miserable. Conversely, some of the southern hilly bits like Caterham and Whyteleafe seem lovely and comparitively cheap.

N20 is nice but over rated IMO......it used to be so much nicer, but someone will pay the prices only because they can, they will not necessarily be buying quality of life....there are many other far better places that will give you that. ;)

Edit: Many of the large houses down there and surounding areas such cockfosters road were knocked to the ground and luxury flats built in their place....in fact so many large victorian/edwardian houses have been replaced with leasehold flats I have lost count over the years......high density living brings with it high traffic congestion and a bigger demand for social facilities such as doctors and schools etc, but hey that is so called progress so I'm told. ;)

Edited by winkie

If you've seen my thread in anecdotals you'll know I've bought now, but I turned down my 'personal' invite to view these!

I've seen these so called 'super premium' developments at £1000+ per square foot in places like Chelsea, but you have to wonder about the wisdom of trying this on a main road in Totteridge...

There was a very hi-spec development called Cheines Place going about a mile from here a year back. Big 5 bed houses with trimmings like underflloor heating, air-con, music streaming, Miele appliances etc were on the market at 1.5-1.8m and sold for 1.2-1.5.

And there are similar developments in much posher places like Kenwood (overlooking Hampstead Heath) going for similar prices.

If you've seen my thread in anecdotals you'll know I've bought now, but I turned down my 'personal' invite to view these!

I've seen these so called 'super premium' developments at £1000+ per square foot in places like Chelsea, but you have to wonder about the wisdom of trying this on a main road in Totteridge...

There was a very hi-spec development called Cheines Place going about a mile from here a year back. Big 5 bed houses with trimmings like underflloor heating, air-con, music streaming, Miele appliances etc were on the market at 1.5-1.8m and sold for 1.2-1.5.

And there are similar developments in much posher places like Kenwood (overlooking Hampstead Heath) going for similar prices.

What at the top of the Bishops avenue.....why would posher be better....please explain....some people imo have money to burn....the prices are out of order.

Once a three bed family home in East Finchley could be purchased by an ordinary working family..how things have changed....not for the better :o

What at the top of the Bishops avenue.....why would posher be better....please explain....some people imo have money to burn....the prices are out of order.

Once a three bed family home in East Finchley could be purchased by an ordinary working family..how things have changed....not for the better :o

Where does the money come from? I wish I knew how this market was sustained, it seems to have no relationship to what most people earn.

There was a programme on TV recently about Ray Davies of The Kinks fame, he grew up in Fortis Green area in the 50s/60s and he came from a very average working family background. It confirmed what I expected that things had changed fundamentally over the last 2 -3 generations. An older friend of mine swears blind that Crouch End and parts of Muswell Hill were rather rough in the 60s. Today these places are completely dominated by "media" types with prices to match.

Where does the money come from? I wish I knew how this market was sustained, it seems to have no relationship to what most people earn.

There was a programme on TV recently about Ray Davies of The Kinks fame, he grew up in Fortis Green area in the 50s/60s and he came from a very average working family background. It confirmed what I expected that things had changed fundamentally over the last 2 -3 generations. An older friend of mine swears blind that Crouch End and parts of Muswell Hill were rather rough in the 60s. Today these places are completely dominated by "media" types with prices to match.

I was born in Muswell Hill so were both my parents.....It has changed masses....I remember the flyover at the north circular near Tescos was a roundabout!.........the traffic there now is diabolical.

I have now left the area....and haven't looked back....they can keep it as far as I am concerned....do pop back to visit from time to time though ;)

I was born in Muswell Hill so were both my parents.....It has changed masses....I remember the flyover at the north circular near Tescos was a roundabout!.........the traffic there now is diabolical.

I have now left the area....and haven't looked back....they can keep it as far as I am concerned....do pop back to visit from time to time though ;)

Muswell Hill and, to a slightly lesser extent, Crouch End were built by the Edwardians as grand garden suburbs for the wealthy. For some reason they fell into decline around the 1960s and were apparently okay but nothing special. The housing bubble of the 1980s brought about their revival, and they don’t seem to have looked back since. I suppose it is similar to the story of Notting Hill or Islington, areas which were grand when first built, then went through periods of decline before being re-gentrified. Remember that Notting Hill was slum-landlord territory in the 1950s, and so was one of the places where new immigrants from the West Indies fetched up.

At least areas like Muswell Hill, Islington and Notting Hill have some beautiful houses and so were ready for re-gentrification. One thing that I don’t understand in London is how districts like East Dulwich, constisting of very ordinary narrow terraced houses built for the ‘lower middle classes’ (clerks and the like) in late Victorian times, have also become gentrified, with enormous prices to match. The housing stock there is really nothing special.

I have also left Muswell Hill and now live 400 miles away. It was good for a time there, in the late 1990s/early 2000s, and I was lucky enough to be able to afford to buy a tiny flat there in the late ‘90s, but the latest housing bubble caused the demographic there to change. It had been very pleasant in a middle-class sort of way when I moved there, with lots of families, but then the top media and city people moved in, all out for themselves and not giving a shit for anyone else, and the remaining useful shops closed down to be replaced by more-money-than-sense boutiques etc., so I don’t miss the place.

Sorry, a bit of a digression there – back to Totteridge now!

[quote name='Muswell Hillbilly' timestamp='1293882424' post='2838812

Sorry, a bit of a digression there – back to Totteridge now!

To continue your digression, I've lived in Muswell Hill for years, missed the boat with buying as when I moved there I was a penniless hack. You're spot on about the shops changing, we used to have a decent hardware shop which became a poncy organic supermarket with eye watering prices. It's still rough in places, despite the influx of money the top end of the roundabout has a few empty shops, dodgy clubs and pubs and copious fights at the weekend - it's also lacking a decent pub as the residents seem to spend the days shopping with prams and disappear at night - like I Am Legend in reverse, leaving the only revenue to be gained from the clientele of places like O'Neills.

My family was there in war years.....they remember a large bomb crater near the odeon and church. In the 60s and 70s it was a great spot to travel into the Westend...the music clubbing scene was great in Camden...used to go rollerskating at Ally Pally before the great fire.....it was a buzzing and lively place for the young, always a party going on, a creative and energetic place....never any worries, many interesting people...

As they say enter on a low and leave on a high.........or is it enter on a high and leave on a low. ;)

At least areas like Muswell Hill, Islington and Notting Hill have some beautiful houses and so were ready for re-gentrification. One thing that I don't understand in London is how districts like East Dulwich, constisting of very ordinary narrow terraced houses built for the 'lower middle classes' (clerks and the like) in late Victorian times, have also become gentrified, with enormous prices to match. The housing stock there is really nothing special.

Yeah, East Dulwich is cr*p with cr*p houses. Nothing to see here - North London is much better - move along please. ;)