House Price Crash Forum

Just Been To Tesco's - Big Signs Being Put Up

ralphmalph

HOLA441

Looks like this VAT rise will be another damp squid like the lowering and then raising of it for the past two years, the retailers can just absorb it or tell the supplier to cut their costs.

Petrol and food is another matter altogether though but that is more inflation in the case of food.

HOLA442

Looks like this VAT rise will be another damp squid like the lowering and then raising of it for the past two years, the retailers can just absorb it or tell the supplier to cut their costs.

Petrol and food is another matter altogether though but that is more inflation in the case of food.

Smoke and mirrors? Surely most of what Tescos sell is zero-rated both before and after the rise.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Most of what they sell is zero-rated, and for the rest of it they will have ramped the price up to the max before Christmas so they are simply holding a new Years Sale with 2.5% discounts- as far as I am aware the Government has not granted Tesco an exemption to the new VAT rate. :P

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Not sure about that. Saw an item in a supermarket that was priced at 78p (old sticker still there) and now "on offer" 2 for £1.60 (or £1.04 each).

When queried, the 'associate' just took the old label off..

HOLA449

VAT increase will kill retail sales. They will absorb the costs on key items but you watch your fuel bills.

In the end we are going to end up spending more but getting a lot less.

They should have just raised income tax for those earning 40,000. That would have kept the economy stable while raising taxation.

Edited by dubsie

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Not sure about that. Saw an item in a supermarket that was priced at 78p (old sticker still there) and now "on offer" 2 for £1.60

Ah, this is a variation on a very old marketing trick.

I set up an apple stall, and erect a sign reading "APPLES, 50p each or 3 for £2".

Somebody smart ;) will then come along and read this sign. They may have wanted only one apple, or they may not have wanted to buy any apples at all. But they will buy an apple from me for 50p, then another, then another, and will then walk off with their pockets full of apples, chuckling to themselves about the way they took advantage of my stupidity :P

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

They should have just raised income tax for those earning 40,000. That would have kept the economy stable while raising taxation.

Erm what makes you think they already haven't done this or rather are proposing it? NIC used to be 1% above a certain level, its going to 2%.

The tax bands have also shrunk at the top end.

The personal allowances have yet again been frozen.

NIC eers is + 1%

EEs is +1%

Many fixed expensives claims are being cut in half.

BIK C02 ratings continue to fall.

HOLA4414

No, because Monday is a holiday.

But it'll be £549.99 by Tuesday ;)

+1

That's what I was going to say.

The big players have been putting their prices up since November.

Snapshot of four purchases I kept an eye on (the only 4 BTW) at Tesco

Sour Dough Bread was £1.59 now £1.79

Pack of four paninis was £1.18 now £1.29

Cheese puffs x6 was 99p now £1.09

Bananas were 69p/kg now 87p

Fuel is up 3p a litre already 'before' the duty/escalator rise and the pound has got stronger against the dollar while the price of a barrel of oil has remained fairly flat.

Edited by tomposh101

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

VAT increase will kill retail sales. They will absorb the costs on key items but you watch your fuel bills.

In the end we are going to end up spending more but getting a lot less.

no, it will cut margins.

without sales, there will be no shops, no manufacturers, so all will find a cut in costs somewhere.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Well I visited a Tesco quite recently, the self serve checkouts used to be 4 to one supervisor now its 12 per one supervisor.

Think it is just holiday and most staffs are off.

Also, mobile phone contracts that used to be sold for £15 are now on £15.99 already.

But of course Mervyn can't see inflation from BoE office window..

HOLA4420

Think it is just holiday and most staffs are off.

Also, mobile phone contracts that used to be sold for £15 are now on £15.99 already.

But of course Mervyn can't see inflation from BoE office window..

Not just Tescos, the self service checkouts are sprouting up all over the supermarkets. Knock down the number of staff to keep the queues long at the manned checkouts and add more self-service ones to slowly drive as many people to those instead. Once they have freed more standard checkout space they can then either convert the long checkouts (or have new ones installed) that can cater for shopping trolley sized purchases.

All those xxxxx supermarket moves to town to generate 300 jobs. Quite the reverse.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Quite. The rush to keep sales will keep prices low.

Have you not noticed how they jacked up their prices soon after the budget and the announcement of the VAT rise to 20%?

As an example their single crusty roll increased from 25p to 30p overnight, a rise of 20%. I emailed a complaint and guess what I received no reply. Even if now they don`t increase prices they have already made a bomb on their across the board increases over the last months. Their excuses they find many, the falling pound, inflation, and the failing crops on the Moon. :rolleyes:

Not to worry I`m the Champion BOGOF man at my local Supermarkets. :D