House Price Crash Forum
Tonkers

Diy Sos On Bbc

Why did that bloke get his entire house done up for him including structural work for free?

Why did three healthy males (the father and his two sons) not lift a finger to help themselves in over two years? They didn't even help when the SOS team were there.

Why didn't he sell the place and rent if it was so bad?

Why did that bloke get his entire house done up for him including structural work for free?

Why did three healthy males (the father and his two sons) not lift a finger to help themselves in over two years? They didn't even help when the SOS team were there.

Why didn't he sell the place and rent if it was so bad?

Because we are currently living through the "Bailout Bubble" at the moment!

Is this licence payers money being used here?

Yep, and anyone who pays it can tonight enjoy their generosity as they have now happily increased the value of that fellow's house.

About £30K or more of work there I would guess.

Even if the BBC paid it is probably still a cheap program to produce. Costs of an hours broadcast TV is expensive, don't know the exact costs but IIRC it really is expensive.

Edit to add, the sons didn't do anything cos they couldn't be bothered, entitled to get it done by someone else ... and they were right!

I think ethics should be ahead of the bottom line.

Yep, and anyone who pays it can tonight enjoy their generosity as they have now happily increased the value of that fellow's house.

More like £100k - and what's with the 'deadline' business? Who sets this deadline that they are all busting a gut to meet? Ah - they do!

I always fume at Melinda Messenger begging freebees off local businesses in 'Cowboy Builders' - they could at least give them a decent good clear free ad in return.

The other thing that is irritating about these shows is the way they skim over the technical details on the important stuff like sorting out damp and structural issues and the greater focus on colour schemes and swish bathroom fittings.

Ah well - it did look good when it was finished.

Would have cost that for the kitchen alone! loads of local tradesmen more than willing to help, yeah cos they have little work and are hoping to be seen bieng generous on tv! or am I just a cynic.

Nice job though they did! not a bunch of twigs on sight! wonder how long before it's up for sale? The plaque outside with "build but diy sos" must have added 20 grand or so

As long as they all cried at the end, it was good value for money. It seems the aim of most of these shows is to get the tears rolling.

I think ethics should be ahead of the bottom line.

The BBC are a bunch of blood sucking parasites, the money spent on these programs is simply not justifiable, likewise with the pop talent idols on ice (i stopped watching tv years ago, and haven't missed it since, so have no idea who puts out what). The Beeb used to produce quality programming but realised the dumb masses accept whatever is thrown at them. There is however an easy option to prevent them squandering your money, don't watch the tripe they output on tv, no tv watching-no licence fee.

Edit:Spelling

Edited by zebbedee

I don't disagree but what do the BBC care? They just spend the money they are not accountable. Yentob who is on £300,000? per year even claimed for a new mobile phone cover.

TV is cheap...TV employees salaries are hyperventilated.

in GC1, ITV sent a news team round and it had two chappies....in a rush, but thourough.

BBC also sent a team, two transits, one blond reporter, two cameras and two sound people...one holding the boom the other fiddling with what looked like the same kit as the ONE techy who did the ITV stuff.

TV is cheap...TV employees salaries are hyperventilated.

in GC1, ITV sent a news team round and it had two chappies....in a rush, but thourough.

BBC also sent a team, two transits, one blond reporter, two cameras and two sound people...one holding the boom the other fiddling with what looked like the same kit as the ONE techy who did the ITV stuff.

GC1?

As long as they all cried at the end, it was good value for money. It seems the aim of most of these shows is to get the tears rolling.

Absolutely, but I think this guy's tears should have been of shame. He has learned nothing and is still the helpless man he was before.

Making that house habitable (without the structural work) was NOT HARD. Jesus, I can do it!

He sat there moaning on MSE about his situation, and never thought to google some DIY info?

He said he couldn't work because he was 'depressed' about the house. Fix the fecker then! He just sat there unemployed all day looking at the mess?

Handing over a full whack of £38K to the builder regardless of completion was utter foolishness to boot, but buying a fixer upper when you can't fix up is ridiculous.

There is often some sympathy to be had on these shows where people have been ripped off despite their best efforts, or there has been a family tragedy, but this lazy feck earned nothing.

Only seen it a couple of times, but it looks like fairly entertaining TV.

Certainly funnier than many "comedies" the BBC churns out.

With little or no scriptwriting to be done, no huge cast of "stars" and no sets to build I would imagine this is an extremely cheap way to fill some primetime TV.

Is it right to give people the gift of a renovated house? I don't know.....is it right to give people the chance to win £250,000 for shouting out numbers and opening boxes on Deal or No Deal?

It's all business.

I love the way they had money to buy a nice big flat screen TV and a couple computers and his internet subscription but didnt think to even sell them or not buy them to start with to get something done with the house. When the chips are down you have to make sacrifices to get it sorted.

I'm sure in those 2/3 years he could of bought a bag of plaster and at least attempted to sort the son with Asthmas room.

Only seen it a couple of times, but it looks like fairly entertaining TV.

Certainly funnier than many "comedies" the BBC churns out.

With little or no scriptwriting to be done, no huge cast of "stars" and no sets to build I would imagine this is an extremely cheap way to fill some primetime TV.

Is it right to give people the gift of a renovated house? I don't know.....is it right to give people the chance to win £250,000 for shouting out numbers and opening boxes on Deal or No Deal?

It's all business.

Difference is that the £250,000 (which only 2 people have ever won in well over 1000 shows), isn't paid for by TV license holders.

But do agree, the massive rise in this sort of rubbish and reality TV in general is not because it is so popular as we are told but because it is seriously cheap to make in comparison to traditional TV shows. There are obvious exceptions but your run of the mill daytime type rubbish is cheap as chips when compare with a studio produced show.

It's incredibly cheap TV and still mildly entertaining - people actually love watching something being changed.

I'm not that bothered that this guy got his house renovated for free. Having read his story it seems he's been through the mill a bit and a lot of his time was spent chasing the scumbag who ripped him off. Also sounds like he's been suffering from depression, which isn't the best for motivating you to do DIY.

I've been visiting this site for several years now under various usernames and sometime people take things a bit too far. I find there's a deep undercurrent of nastiness in some people's posts and it's been a constant over the years. Conversely on Money Saving Expert people often shy away from giving people advice they may not want to hear.

House prices are too high and there's been a lot of financial injustice over the last few years, but being too bitter about it can eat you up. People who are in debt or in trouble aren't secretly laughing up their sleeve, their lives are generally crap and would swap with you in a heartbeat. People make mistakes, people are stupid sometimes - be glad that you know better.

Anyway it looks like some sanity may be restored in 2011...

Edited by sohpc