House Price Crash Forum

Daily Mail House Price Ramping Hits New Low

ingermany

HOLA441

Subliminal Message: Buy a House in Bristol

Does nobody in UK see anything wrong with this?

A young girl is murdered and the Daily Mail are running what amounts to an advertisement for the "upmarket area" and the "£200,000 flat", blatantly using the tragedy as a disguise for a property story. The estate agent valuation is released before the autopsy and given more prominence.

How are the family meant to feel..........proud she was living in a nice expensive area? Pity she was killed but didn't she do well?

What message are we meant to get from this............can't go wrong with bricks and mortar?

I know this comes up every time someone in a nice house meets a tragic end, but this time, especially at Christmas, and for such a young talented girl, to be senselessly killed....and all the papers can do is gloat about the price of the property. What a sad comment on the state of British society that this happens and everybody apparently finds it acceptable.

When are the papers going to realise that house valuations in this context are offensive tasteless and insensitive?

HOLA442

Subliminal Message: Buy a House in Bristol

Does nobody in UK see anything wrong with this?

A young girl is murdered and the Daily Mail are running what amounts to an advertisement for the "upmarket area" and the "£200,000 flat", blatantly using the tragedy as a disguise for a property story. The estate agent valuation is released before the autopsy and given more prominence.

How are the family meant to feel..........proud she was living in a nice expensive area? Pity she was killed but didn't she do well?

What message are we meant to get from this............can't go wrong with bricks and mortar?

I know this comes up every time someone in a nice house meets a tragic end, but this time, especially at Christmas, and for such a young talented girl, to be senselessly killed....and all the papers can do is gloat about the price of the property. What a sad comment on the state of British society that this happens and everybody apparently finds it acceptable.

When are the papers going to realise that house valuations in this context are offensive tasteless and insensitive?

I noticed that too when reading that article this morning. Was wondering just what the frick a cost of a flat/house has to do with the murder of a young woman? It's disgusting! F*cking worthless rag that DM has become!

HOLA443

three miles from her £200,000 flat in the upmarket area of Clifton, Bristol.

[/url]The party was held in a two-bedroom flat worth £300,000 in one of the Victorian houses opposite the home of Miss Yeates.

and I'm sure the article has been edited

as it originally also mentioned the £600k property of her parents

what the value of the properties are seems of no relevance whatsoever

but the DM is always at this nonsense

HOLA444

three miles from her £200,000 flat in the upmarket area of Clifton, Bristol.

[/url]The party was held in a two-bedroom flat worth £300,000 in one of the Victorian houses opposite the home of Miss Yeates.

and I'm sure the article has been edited

as it originally also mentioned the £600k property of her parents

what the value of the properties are seems of no relevance whatsoever

but the DM is always at this nonsense

Don't forget we're talking about a UK city here. Believe it or now but most of the UK people and their government are still obsessed with properties and their prices. House prices ARE the economy of the UK.

HOLA445
HOLA446
The father of Jo Yeates yesterday backed the way police are conducting their inquiry, adding he feels sure they will catch her killer.

David Yeates, 63, said he had complete faith in the investigation into his daughter’s death.

At his £600,000 home in Ampfield, Hampshire, he said: ‘The police have been really helpful in this investigation and we have every faith in them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342427/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Landlord-Chris-Jefferies-hold-key.html

They have no shame about inserting tenuous valuations where they're not needed.

HOLA447
HOLA448

'Mr Jefferies taught at Clifton College from the early 1970s and rose to become head of England before taking early retirement.

Current head Mark Moore said today: 'I can confirm that Mr Jefferies taught English at Clifton College for a number of years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342794/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Flat-landlord-Chris-Jefferies-searched-bags-evidence-removed.html#ixzz19dBuKdsH'

WTF is head of England? LOL :lol:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

'Mr Jefferies taught at Clifton College from the early 1970s and rose to become head of England before taking early retirement.

Current head Mark Moore said today: 'I can confirm that Mr Jefferies taught English at Clifton College for a number of years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342794/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Flat-landlord-Chris-Jefferies-searched-bags-evidence-removed.html#ixzz19dBuKdsH'

Yes, i mentioned something similar in the bristol palin thread the other day.

It seems the mail has overtaken the grauniad in the 'cant be assed to proof read our own articles stakes'

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Who cares about poor proof reading?

What is Mr Jeffires house worth? It doesn't tell us. For god's sake put it into context DM, I can't understand the story otherwise.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

To be honest, I think you are being paranoid about this.

I followed the link and read the story, and the reference to the flat being worth £200k was way down the article - quite close to the bottom, which undermines the suggestion that they were somehow regarding the property value as more important than the tragedy at the centre of the story.

But why mention the property price at all, you ask? This is a legitimate question, but is easily dealt with. It's a bit of contextual information that adds a bit of texture to the story: It describes the backgrounds of the characters involved. So of the parents live in a £600K house (and I didn't notice this reference in the story I read, but I'll take your word for it), it's just another way of saying that the family is fairly well-heeled. In another situation, they might be a bit more adventurous and say something like "the road, which is lined with expensive cars", or "most of the neighbours send their children to private schools" etc. It's another way of saying that the people involved are middle class, or that the apartment is pretty posh. It just adds a bit of colour to the story.

Property ramping? Pshaww!

Edited by ProdigalGnome

HOLA4419

To be honest, I think you are being paranoid about this.

So of the parents live in a £600K house (and I didn't notice this reference in the story I read, but I'll take your word for it), it's just another way of saying that the family is fairly well-heeled. In another situation, they might be a bit more adventurous and say something like "the road, which is lined with expensive cars", or "most of the neighbours send their children to private schools" etc. It's another way of saying that the people involved are middle class, or that the apartment is pretty posh. It just adds a bit of colour to the story.

Property ramping? Pshaww!

It is inappropriate and offensive for several reasons:

a. On learning of this poor girl's disappearnce and murder, the newspaper has prioritised getting an estate agent valuation on the houses of the victim, the victim's parents and her neighbours.

b. The mention of the bereaved parents' £600K home.........there is a subliminal message here............OK, you've lost your daughter but you can't go wrong investing in property. It's crass, tasteless and offensive.

c. Yes, there would be other ways of portraying the girl's lifestyle, aspirations and background...........rummage through her possessions and get typical ebay valuations for choice items. It would be sordid. As is including 3 house price valuations in a single story about her. I note that 2 of the 3 were pulled by the editor for later editions of the web page (so some encouraging signs there).

d. Most importantly the DM is responding to a national obsession with house prices. They put that info in the article because millions of readers, when they saw the picture of the dead girl's parents' house will have had as their very first thought...."I wonder how much that is worth". I expect Rightmove searches for Clifton have surged. This obession has been created, fed and nurtured by some newspapers to the point where the house price has to be included in every UK story, no matter how tragic the story, no matter how irrelevant the house valuation.

HOLA4420

It is inappropriate and offensive for several reasons:

a. On learning of this poor girl's disappearnce and murder, the newspaper has prioritised getting an estate agent valuation on the houses of the victim, the victim's parents and her neighbours.

Rubbish. They haven't "prioritised" estate agent evaluations. The mention of the £200K is way down at the very bottom of a very long Mail article. And it's obvious that they haven't sought valuations from estate agenets at all. From the nice round figures 200K, 600K it's clear these are throwaway, finger-in-the-air estimates.

b. The mention of the bereaved parents' £600K home.........there is a subliminal message here............OK, you've lost your daughter but you can't go wrong investing in property. It's crass, tasteless and offensive.

You're utterly mad if you think they are using this appalling story to send subliminal messages about the wisdom of property investment. A classic HPC nutter.

c. Yes, there would be other ways of portraying the girl's lifestyle, aspirations and background...........rummage through her possessions and get typical ebay valuations for choice items. It would be sordid. As is including 3 house price valuations in a single story about her. I note that 2 of the 3 were pulled by the editor for later editions of the web page (so some encouraging signs there).

d. Most importantly the DM is responding to a national obsession with house prices. They put that info in the article because millions of readers, when they saw the picture of the dead girl's parents' house will have had as their very first thought...."I wonder how much that is worth". I expect Rightmove searches for Clifton have surged. This obession has been created, fed and nurtured by some newspapers to the point where the house price has to be included in every UK story, no matter how tragic the story, no matter how irrelevant the house valuation.

The "national obsession with house prices" is a mania that you are seemingly not exempt from, given your response to a single figure in a very long story. You're being utterly irrational about this. Clifton, as you probably know, is a 'nice posh middle class' area that will indeed resonate with many Mail readers. The fact that it is such a pleasant area and the story features well-educated, seemingly 'respectable folk like you and me' that gives it some of its resonance to this audience. If the story was about someone dying in a car crash in a high-end car, I would expect them to mention the value of the car, without it seeming as though they're encouraging people to go out and buy one.

There is much that is over-salacious and disrespectful about the reporting of these stories, but a brief description of the property that she vanished from.doesn't seem to be the worst aspect. Not by a long way.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Personally I also loathe the labelling of people by their profession. She was not a ‘25-year-old landscape architect’ but a 25-year-old woman/person/human being. Are we meant to feel more sympathy when somebody with a prestigious profession is murdered? There are always complaints when women working as prostitutes are murdered and they are labelled ‘prostitutes’ in the news, so evidently if a person’s job is not considered respectable many people would rather it not be mentioned in reports.

Mind you, it is the Daily Wail we’re talking about here! Newpapers have always been guilty of inserting people’s ages when completely irrelevant, e.g. John Smith (45) or whatever. The Daily Wail simply inserts the market value of the home in which they live, too, e.g. John Smith (45, house worth £200,000).

HOLA4423

Rubbish. They haven't "prioritised" estate agent evaluations. The mention of the £200K is way down at the very bottom of a very long Mail article. And it's obvious that they haven't sought valuations from estate agenets at all. From the nice round figures 200K, 600K it's clear these are throwaway, finger-in-the-air estimates.

You're utterly mad if you think they are using this appalling story to send subliminal messages about the wisdom of property investment. A classic HPC nutter.

The "national obsession with house prices" is a mania that you are seemingly not exempt from, given your response to a single figure in a very long story. You're being utterly irrational about this. Clifton, as you probably know, is a 'nice posh middle class' area that will indeed resonate with many Mail readers. The fact that it is such a pleasant area and the story features well-educated, seemingly 'respectable folk like you and me' that gives it some of its resonance to this audience. If the story was about someone dying in a car crash in a high-end car, I would expect them to mention the value of the car, without it seeming as though they're encouraging people to go out and buy one.

There is much that is over-salacious and disrespectful about the reporting of these stories, but a brief description of the property that she vanished from.doesn't seem to be the worst aspect. Not by a long way.

When I stop and think about this I realise you're right. Must try it more often.

HOLA4424

Mind you, it is the Daily Wail we’re talking about here! Newpapers have always been guilty of inserting people’s ages when completely irrelevant, e.g. John Smith (45) or whatever. The Daily Wail simply inserts the market value of the home in which they live, too, e.g. John Smith (45, house worth £200,000).

The market value or just a wild guess?

They could use factually correct qualitative information if they want to set the scene e.g. a tree-lined row of detached houses. Trying to insert a quantitative valuation actually reduces the amount of information by giving a phoney degree of precision.

HOLA4425