House Price Crash Forum
bruno123

Tunbridge Wells, Kent

Tunbridge Wells, Kent seems to have been pretty resilient so far. In fact, I have been shocked at how high the prices have been on newly listed houses. As usual the excellent properties have sold even at the inflated prices and the others have just lain on the market for months with NO price reductions.

Any views on what 2011 will bring?

Tunbridge Wells, Kent seems to have been pretty resilient so far. In fact, I have been shocked at how high the prices have been on newly listed houses. As usual the excellent properties have sold even at the inflated prices and the others have just lain on the market for months with NO price reductions.

Any views on what 2011 will bring?

I, too, am looking tn T Wells (hope we are not in competition!). I have not kept a database, so I can only pass on my impressions FWIW. There is not much new stuff coming on to the market in any price bracket at present, and I have seen some poorly maintained or extended houses languishing on the market for months & months. However, I have seen few price reductions since October. Conversely well maintained and well located houses have gone under offer quickly, which I presume means that the buyer offered close to the full asking price. However many houses sit for long as under offer or SSTC, so I guess chains are fragile. I am hoping the new year brings more on the market - and I have heard anecdotes that this will happen.

Because TW houses frequently differ so much (age, parking, part of town (some parts are distinctly chavvy), primary school catchment, top, side or bottom of hill, on a main road, south facing vs north facing garden etc) it is particularly difficult to compare properties. My impression is that some agents (eg Wards) have significantly overpriced some houses - and in fact Wards have completely relisted their stock on Rightmove last week (but with the same prices) so as to wipe out their long for sale histories from inspection with PropertyBee.

Difficult to judge what will happen in 2011. Although town centre shops have shut (eg Noakes), there are significant developments on North Farm, and the new hospital will need staff - so the local employment situation, while not booming - is also not stagnant. TWells is still very popular with young families attracted out of London by good schools and a pleasant environment (ie white flight). I was told by an agent that the 250-350,000 bracket is active, but above 350,000 things are much quieter. My impression is that the businessmen / consultants / top civil servants who would buy the more expensive houses are having second thoughts in the current climate, so above 750,000 unless the house has real character or land, it sticks.

HTH