House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Lorca On Wall Street

“The terrible, cold, cruel part is Wall Street. Rivers of gold flow there from all over the earth, and death comes with it. There, as nowhere else, you feel a total absence of the spirit: herds of men who cannot count past three, herds more who cannot get past six, scorn for pure science and demoniacal respect for the present. And the terrible thing is that the crowd that fills the street believes that the world will always be the same and that it is their duty to keep that huge machine running, day and night, forever. This is what comes of a Protestant morality, that I, as a (thank God) typical Spaniard, found unnerving.” - Lorca http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Garc%C3%ADa_Lorca

“The terrible, cold, cruel part is Wall Street. Rivers of gold flow there from all over the earth, and death comes with it. There, as nowhere else, you feel a total absence of the spirit: herds of men who cannot count past three, herds more who cannot get past six, scorn for pure science and demoniacal respect for the present. And the terrible thing is that the crowd that fills the street believes that the world will always be the same and that it is their duty to keep that huge machine running, day and night, forever. This is what comes of a Protestant morality, that I, as a (thank God) typical Spaniard, found unnerving.” - Lorca http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Garc%C3%ADa_Lorca

Perhaps the natives of South and Central America have a view on whether Protestant or Catholic morality rapes more deeply?

If you can find any to ask....

Perhaps the natives of South and Central America have a view on whether Protestant or Catholic morality rapes more deeply?

If you can find any to ask....

He was talking about modern day capitalism.

I guess the natives were exterminated north and south. However there's a huge proportion of S and C Americans of native Indian ancestry. Not the case in N America. Our friend Hugo Chavez is but one! So perhaps this actually supports the point you thought Lorca was making.

He was talking about modern day capitalism.

I guess the natives were exterminated north and south. However there's a huge proportion of S and C Americans of native Indian ancestry. Not the case in N America. Our friend Hugo Chavez is but one! So perhaps this actually supports the point you thought Lorca was making.

The point I'm making is that there is no such thing as modern-day capitalism or "protestant capitalism" or any other such ...

There is only raw capitalism - naked power - the beast that raped and enslaved half of Europe under the SPQR banner is the same beast that raped and enslaved all of America (north and south).

Applying terms such as "Protestant" shows an ignorance of the nature of the beast and given the speakers background, merely discloses his own bigotry...