House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Rail Fares Racket: Prices Jump By Up To 46 Per Cent In New Year

What a wheez.

Rail fares racket: Prices jump by up to 46 per cent in New Year

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342616/Rail-fares-racket-Prices-jump-46-cent-New-Year.html#ixzz19cDdU2zY

Train operators are exploiting a loophole which allows them to ramp up prices on the busiest lines as long as they also cut charges on little-used routes, so that the average ticket rise remains modest.

What a wheez.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342616/Rail-fares-racket-Prices-jump-46-cent-New-Year.html#ixzz19cDdU2zY

Train operators are exploiting a loophole which allows them to ramp up prices on the busiest lines as long as they also cut charges on little-used routes, so that the average ticket rise remains modest.

More input into the inflationary mega-trend. Hold on tight.

Rail fares are a farce. The only cheap way to travel these days is driving (I can't abide the bus) and that is about get mega expensive with oil rocketing towards 200 dollars in the next few years.

Surely we will see a major increase in the popularity of car pooling at some point.

What a wheez.

When working out the average rise, the number of passengers or trains using a route is not taken into account, meaning that a route with a handful of passengers on a single daily train’s increase counts just as much as the hike on the busiest commuter route.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342616/Rail-fares-racket-Prices-jump-46-cent-New-Year.html#ixzz19kCNTm00

Pity this paragraph and therefore the major part of this so called story is complete rubbish!

http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpapers/commons/lib/research/briefings/snbt-01904.pdf

The bit about First Capital Connect was lifted straight from Private Eye - perhaps if they'd got Dr B. Ching to write the rest of the story it wouldn't have turned into the embarrasing howler that was put online. It would be even more embarrassing if this nonesense ever made it to print?

Edited by Wayo

price cap compliance is based on the average fare, e.g. if the overall cap's +5% or whatever then the average fare must go up by no more than 5%. the weights are based on number of passengers not number of routes. otherwise the whole thing would be a nonsense.

i can't be bothered to even try & understand what drivel the mail is hinting at.

Rail fares are a farce. The only cheap way to travel these days is driving (I can't abide the bus) and that is about get mega expensive with oil rocketing towards 200 dollars in the next few years.

Surely we will see a major increase in the popularity of car pooling at some point.

...and mopeds.

...and mopeds.

they would just tax those out of existence

Beardy's wealth must be preserved at all costs. Hopefully will break his neck in a publicity stunt gone wrong hopefully.

price cap compliance is based on the average fare, e.g. if the overall cap's +5% or whatever then the average fare must go up by no more than 5%. the weights are based on number of passengers not number of routes. otherwise the whole thing would be a nonsense.

i can't be bothered to even try & understand what drivel the mail is hinting at.

I suspect the phones are ringing off the hook at Mail HQ. It is the most ludicrously made up conspiracy theory I can remember in a long time - even by their standards.

46%? Might need someone to arrange some consumer action vs. the rail networks.

"Whatever comes out of there can be defeated but we must work together." Maximus

TBH, I would be in favour of nationalising rail (is the French and German system state owned?), gas and leccy, water and the Post Office.

Some things should not be left to the whim of sheisters and extortion artistes.

How very 1970s............

Take%20off.jpg

46%? Might need someone to arrange some consumer action vs. the rail networks.

"Whatever comes out of there can be defeated but we must work together." Maximus

TBH, I would be in favour of nationalising rail (is the French and German system state owned?), gas and leccy, water and the Post Office.

Some things should not be left to the whim of sheisters and extortion artistes.

I agree, time to take critical infrastructure back into public ownership. Cut out the greedy middlemen.