House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ujio

What Now?

Yikes!

Quit my job working in London as a corporate drone and having one of those 'oh sh*t' moments, where has life gone and where the hell is it going to go?! :blink:

Unlike most of my overachieving peers (private school, uni, career) I have made no plans to take over the world in the city and slavishly work so I can enjoy the good times when (if) they ever come. I have no dependants, no mortgage, no significant other, no career so to speak of just a wad of cash in the bank and a motorbike to my name. Maybe in my indifference to most things I have given myself almost too much rope to hang myself with.

I feel I should knuckle down and stop drifting with a stable career and all that stuff but after seeing my cousin die at the age of 29 last month it seems to be a wake up call.

So, my learned ones ... I am 30 in two days and searching for a epiphany and make my route in life count one way or another.

Have any of you drastically changed anything in your life, hopefully for the better? Break out of the constant rut by getting totally out of your comfort zone and doing something very different?

I don't mean this to be a delusional me me post but I would genuinely like to hear about all your significant experiences in life and maybe a good piece of advice.

Good on the motorbike!

What else do you need? :huh:

A motorbike eh?

You could always copy me and go on a big motorbike ride around the world, I did this in 2009 after going nuts at work. I returned 7 months later and my attitude to life changed completely. I was no longer career career career mentality and realised contentment and happiness were bigger goals to strive for in life.

I also care a whole lot less about things than I did previously. I work in a different industry and because of my less worrying attitude of being fired bullied or being made redundant even though little has changed I simply don't let it bother me anymore and I sleep better. While my colleagues are all worrying about their jobs and such like I just take an attitude of what happens happens.

You should see my 2008 posts compared to today, I am significantly mellowed.

I am btw looking for a wingman for a ride across Africa or rather was as I'm considering doing something completely different instead.

A motorbike eh?

You could always copy me and go on a big motorbike ride around the world, I did this in 2009 after going nuts at work. I returned 7 months later and my attitude to life changed completely. I was no longer career career career mentality and realised contentment and happiness were bigger goals to strive for in life.

I also care a whole lot less about things than I did previously. I work in a different industry and because of my less worrying attitude of being fired bullied or being made redundant even though little has changed I simply don't let it bother me anymore and I sleep better. While my colleagues are all worrying about their jobs and such like I just take an attitude of what happens happens.

You should see my 2008 posts compared to today, I am significantly mellowed.

I am btw looking for a wingman for a ride across Africa or rather was as I'm considering doing something completely different instead.

Ken I'm pretty sure I'd like to go round the world on a motorbike, but you seem to be a bit of a "shit magnet", and the asteroid might land on me! ;)

Ken I'm pretty sure I'd like to go round the world on a motorbike, but you seem to be a bit of a "shit magnet", and the asteroid might land on me! ;)

Gives you something to talk about when you get home. Ally a bloke who rode from Harrogate a similar trip had absolutely nothing go wrong on his trip other than a couple of burst tyres. He doesn't have that much to say about his trek.

Gives you something to talk about when you get home. Ally a bloke who rode from Harrogate a similar trip had absolutely nothing go wrong on his trip other than a couple of burst tyres. He doesn't have that much to say about his trek.

Only having a joke Ken, and yes I still foolishly (at my age) still have a motorbike! :lol:

Only having a joke Ken, and yes I still foolishly (at my age) still have a motorbike! :lol:

I know you are.... :)

I dunno about biking these days though, it seems the golden age of biking is over. The pointy plastic Japanese bikes are all far too powerful and focused to be enjoyable on the open road. The CBR600RR is such a rev monster, The new gen R6s need chiropractors after each use.

The open road is less open than it used to be, they all have cameras/Helicopter patrols or have the speed limits reduced massively. Cat N fiddle is now 50mph 40 at some points with average speed cameras dotted all over it. Snake Pass 14 miles of white knuckle blind corners is now 40mph on many sections and also has cameras dotted all over it. I remember as recent as 2006 when John C managed it in less than 9 minutes on a Thunderace.

Well Ken! To those guys who think their car is fast, should take a modern 600cc bike out for a spin!

If they come back in one piece they can try the 1200cc model! ;)

Only God knows why we do this! :o

Yikes!

Quit my job working in London as a corporate drone and having one of those 'oh sh*t' moments, where has life gone and where the hell is it going to go?! :blink:

Unlike most of my overachieving peers (private school, uni, career) I have made no plans to take over the world in the city and slavishly work so I can enjoy the good times when (if) they ever come. I have no dependants, no mortgage, no significant other, no career so to speak of just a wad of cash in the bank and a motorbike to my name. Maybe in my indifference to most things I have given myself almost too much rope to hang myself with.

I feel I should knuckle down and stop drifting with a stable career and all that stuff but after seeing my cousin die at the age of 29 last month it seems to be a wake up call.

So, my learned ones ... I am 30 in two days and searching for a epiphany and make my route in life count one way or another.

Have any of you drastically changed anything in your life, hopefully for the better? Break out of the constant rut by getting totally out of your comfort zone and doing something very different?

I don't mean this to be a delusional me me post but I would genuinely like to hear about all your significant experiences in life and maybe a good piece of advice.

Go to 2/3 dowsers, get them to decide where on this earth you should be - and go there. I tried it and they all gave roughly the same location - haven't been there yet though!

Yikes!

Well it is a bit tight but there are a few visas you can get for various countries up until the age of 30. You can then use the visa for up to a year from when you get it - and it lasts for a year from when you enter the country. Can do pretty much job you want when you arrive.

Canada, NZ and Oz all do this. Fantastic time to be had if you just want to go out there, are prepared to do any sort of work, and want to have fun.

This is Canada. Seems they are changing their process and it comes into effect from Jan 18th 2011. You never know you may be in luck.

Canada

For Oz you can apply online. Which means if you do it today or tomorrow you will be sorted. So that is a goer. Do it. You will have a great time. I can guarantee it 99.99999999%.

Oz

Same for NZ. Online applications accepted.

NZ

Get an Oz and NZ one. Do one after the other as long as you arrive in the 2nd place within 12 months of the visa being issued.

They dont cost a fortune. Worst that can happen is you get them and dont use them. Cost - a few hundred quid max. Best that can happen is you have the time of your life, meet many new friends, and see some amazing things whilst learning new skills you may use in future.

Do it. And no I do not charge for this life changing advice. :D

Actually on closer inspection it appears for the Oz and NZ visas you have to be 18-30 inclusive. So it looks like you can apply when 30. Have a closer look though to be sure.

And once more - DO IT !!

I have known literally hundreds of peope who have done this. Yet to meet one who has not said it was the best time of their entire life.

I think that says it all.

I am a fully signed up cubicle slave - I am finding it increasingly hard to take anything seriously at work - it all just seems utterly pointless & comical to me

Some colleagues talk with enthusiasm about new projects, initiatives, general corporate 'stuff' - I just cant keep up the sham with them - it is all a load of **** as far as I'm concerned.

What do I care about the fortunes of a multi-billion £ T/O company? I am more interested in the weather forecast

Although I am completely debt free I have been brainwashed into believing I need this 'career'(defined as a job without overtime)in order to prevent me & my familiy starving to death.

I would love to have an epiphany and find an alternative way of life but how would I look at my kids and say i walked away from 'security'? They need me.

Good luck with your search OP - to those that find a way to survive outside cubicleland, I salute you.

(btw used to ride a ZX-6)

just a wad of cash in the bank and a motorbike to my name

I was just going to suggest you contact Ken, but he beat me to it :D

Find something you enjoy/care about. Spend all your time working towards getting a job in that field. Don't worry about the money too much (but don't expect to feed a family of 4 basket weaving). If you're destined to make money, you will do it in any field, but if you hate what you do you're always going to be stuffed.

I was an Oxbridge arts graduate "destined" for a career in law or management consultancy. I had no interest in the corporate world so dropped out for a while to travel and temp, and then rediscovered an interest in computers. Did a conversion masters at 25, borrowed the money, never looked back. Because I care about what I do, I'm good at it and keep improving by working and learning outside working hours. If I were starting again now I might do financial analysis, as the little I've learned here interests me greatly.

It's almost never too late.

Yikes!

Dont put anything off that you want to do - there maybe no tomorrow.

+ 1 on all of Ken's points.

I packed up my job, sold my house and all belongings, and travelled for 9 months when I was 32. On my return I decided to take the first job in any location that fitted my qualifications/interests - a case of deliberately seeing where the dice settled. It took a while to get something (bad time for employment, as now) and it was not what I would have considered before but that's good - I had wider perspectives, was mellower, much less bothered about "success", and a better view of what made me, me. I consider it a nicely timed vaccination against taking corporate life too seriously.

30 is the best time to do a gap year IMO. If you're younger then you don't have much life experience to re-evaluate. If you're older then you care too much about comfort!

Thanks for all the replies. All of which have been read and assimilated.

A motorbike eh?

You could always copy me and go on a big motorbike ride around the world, I did this in 2009 after going nuts at work.......

Watch me be distinctly non-commital but watch this space. I need to chop in the Fireblade for something like an adventurer but a friend and myself are thinking a few month break on the bikes once the weather thaws is on the cards.

Actually on closer inspection it appears for the Oz and NZ visas you have to be 18-30 inclusive. So it looks like you can apply when 30. Have a closer look though to be sure.

And once more - DO IT !!

I have known literally hundreds of peope who have done this. Yet to meet one who has not said it was the best time of their entire life.

I think that says it all.

Thanks for the input CCC. I've heard this from many who've done this, there's one problem, I really can't stand Aussies! I live in central London and can see their reason for fleeing their area to travel here.... however I can't see why anyone would want to go there. I have a friend who I check out on facebook now and again who is just a full-time bum and has been on her 2 year visa in Oz and now 1yr in NZ. I constantly see pictures of mindless piss-ups with boozy antipodeans and working crap jobs 'travelling' around Australia. The place seems devoid of anything to me, more specifically things I value such as culture. I also feel slightly perturbed being of ethnic origin ;o)

NZ seems like a different place so I will look into that.

The US is more my thing, but I know how hard it is getting anykind of working Visa. However, after being there twice this year I am really keen to explore it more...this place seems more exciting to me. I will also check out Canada! Thanks for the heads-up CCC!

I am a fully signed up cubicle slave - I am finding it increasingly hard to take anything seriously at work - it all just seems utterly pointless & comical to me

Some colleagues talk with enthusiasm about new projects, initiatives, general corporate 'stuff' - I just cant keep up the sham with them - it is all a load of **** as far as I'm concerned.

What do I care about the fortunes of a multi-billion £ T/O company? I am more interested in the weather forecast

Although I am completely debt free I have been brainwashed into believing I need this 'career'(defined as a job without overtime)in order to prevent me & my familiy starving to death.

I would love to have an epiphany and find an alternative way of life but how would I look at my kids and say i walked away from 'security'? They need me.

Good luck with your search OP - to those that find a way to survive outside cubicleland, I salute you.

(btw used to ride a ZX-6)

I was you. It feels like I had a litre of puss drained from my brain when I handed in my notice. Your experience exactly mirrored mine (I swear we were at the same place) and after the last weekly meeting talking about KSI's for the most petty things (creating work for the sake of work) I was hoping to come back one day to the charred remains of our office block. I I decided enough was enough!

(I still hanker after my 7r)

Find something you enjoy/care about. Spend all your time working towards getting a job in that field. Don't worry about the money too much (but don't expect to feed a family of 4 basket weaving). If you're destined to make money, you will do it in any field, but if you hate what you do you're always going to be stuffed.

I was an Oxbridge arts graduate "destined" for a career in law or management consultancy. I had no interest in the corporate world so dropped out for a while to travel and temp, and then rediscovered an interest in computers. Did a conversion masters at 25, borrowed the money, never looked back. Because I care about what I do, I'm good at it and keep improving by working and learning outside working hours. If I were starting again now I might do financial analysis, as the little I've learned here interests me greatly.

Wise words. This is what I am doing now lest I become that rudderless boat I despise in others.

I am re-discovering past interests now and hope to apply myself to my real passions which hopefully will make me successful in them.

Thanks for all the meaningful feedback and I seek comfort in the fact that it's not just me with this quandry.

Thanks for the input CCC. I've heard this from many who've done this, there's one problem, I really can't stand Aussies! I live in central London and can see their reason for fleeing their area to travel here.... however I can't see why anyone would want to go there. I have a friend who I check out on facebook now and again who is just a full-time bum and has been on her 2 year visa in Oz and now 1yr in NZ. I constantly see pictures of mindless piss-ups with boozy antipodeans and working crap jobs 'travelling' around Australia. The place seems devoid of anything to me, more specifically things I value such as culture. I also feel slightly perturbed being of ethnic origin ;o)

NZ seems like a different place so I will look into that.

The US is more my thing, but I know how hard it is getting anykind of working Visa. However, after being there twice this year I am really keen to explore it more...this place seems more exciting to me. I will also check out Canada! Thanks for the heads-up CCC!

Always happy to help. These places are there for the taking and you make of it what you will. If you fancy spending 2 years getting smashed then so be it. If you fancy doing more cultural things then so be it. All 3 are great countries that are amazing places to spend a year or two in. So much to do and see. The opportunities are endless. And great bases to fly to other places in Asia/South Pacific/Central America for tours. Not sure I would move to any permanently but that is altogether different.

As for the crap jobs ? I have to say many of the crappie travelling jobs were some of the most fun and rewarding I have ever had. Did a few days bee-keeping. Learnt about growing and thinning mandarins trees. Drove tractors. Learnt to drive diggers to dig up trenches for a new prison in NZ. Delivered hardware in a pick up for the local builders in a class wee NZ town. Drove a taxi in a Canadian ski resort. Plus so much more. Doing random cash in hand jobs can be brilliant fun and you may learn something you actually enjoy and can do in the future.

Crappy jobs piss all over most office jobs in my experience. :D

Anyway good luck - the world is a big place if you dont go out and see it you will probably regret it once older. Would you rather do it now or on a Trafalgar tour coach aged 65 !!

And if you are feeling really crazy join our Ken for a manic Bike trip. I would advise on serious insurance cover. He has some stories to tell !!

What life is all about though.

And if you are feeling really crazy join our Ken for a manic Bike trip. I would advise on serious insurance cover. He has some stories to tell !!

What life is all about though.

And a donor card.

I'm right next to Oz after 3 years in Africa. Stay away from the place, Australians are feral.

I do however like Canadians, so you can go there if you want.

If you want to get out and see the world, its worthwhile having a look at charity/ngo websites and the like. Nice way to get some experience and try and make a difference whilst you decide what to do with yourself.

UNV is a decent place to start although the NGO route probably has more options.

Although I am completely debt free I have been brainwashed into believing I need this 'career'(defined as a job without PAID overtime)in order to prevent me & my familiy starving to death.

You missed a word.

+1

Find a job you enjoy and do it, one that doesn't involve crazy hours as spending time with family and friends is always more important.

A job is only a means of earning money to live your life, even a job you enjoy :lol: