House Price Crash Forum
jimmyblueeyes

Share Ideas For 2011

Hi All

There are plenty of 2011 specific Share tips and share competitions for 2011 out there in media and investor forums and I am interested to see if anyone on HPC fancied chancing their arm at what shares, sectors or markets may fair well in 2011.

Could be interesting to revisit this thread on New Years Eve 2011 to see how we all did and whether or not I put my money where my mouth is.

Feel free to suggest individual shares or name sectors you think will do well next year in inflationary conditions with low consumer spending (my thoughts).

Lets have your watchlist/tips and a brief reason behind it if there is one!

Im going for

Oil & Mining companies listed on the AIM market and Utilities as a much more defensive option.

EO.

DTG

MTA

AGQ

SSE

Believe its going to be a solid year for essentials such as Utilities and could start to see higher demand for oil and higher oil prices towards the end of the year.

Happy New Year!

Edited by jimmyblueeyes

Hi All

There are plenty of 2011 specific Share tips and share competitions for 2011 out there in media and investor forums and I am interested to see if anyone on HPC fancied chancing their arm at what shares, sectors or markets may fair well in 2011.

Could be interesting to revisit this thread on New Years Eve 2011 to see how we all did and whether or not I put my money where my mouth is.

Feel free to suggest individual shares or name sectors you think will do well next year in inflationary conditions with low consumer spending (my thoughts).

Lets have your watchlist/tips and a brief reason behind it if there is one!

Im going for

Oil & Mining companies listed on the AIM market and Utilities as a much more defensive option.

EO.

DTG

MTA

AGQ

SSE

Believe its going to be a solid year for essentials such as Utilities and could start to see higher demand for oil and higher oil prices towards the end of the year.

Happy New Year!

Like most people, I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to stock market tips and insights and persuasive commentators. Unfortunately, my experience over several years of investing is that it's barely worth listening to these opinions. I can't think how much I've lost by following tipsters. It's possible to see trends of course, but there are always problems like 1) the tendency for trends to be visible only after they have ceased to be worth investing in, and 2) the perennial danger of the 'black swan' event like the BP spill, 9/11, and (more predictably, but not the timing): the run on Northern Rock, Iceland banks etc.

So what's your approach now? Do you still invest?

I've lost about £1.5k (about 6% of savings :( ) in the stock market to date. My problem? Going against the market and not leaving money in long enough. Very long-term longs are the only way for me now.

Buy HMV, YELL, JJB. Get in there while they're cheap! B)

(just to be clear, I'm not going near any of the above myself. Though I do hold the bombed-out PFD in the hope of a recovery. Made a profit on them before when I bought at 26p and sold at 44p, but currently sitting on a loss on shares bought at 21p)

I have a better hope of recovery on recently-bought PRW. A falling knife, but could become a great recovery if they can penetrate more markets around the world. And at present prices there must be potential for a buyout from a bigger company with the worldwide marketing capability.

With the markets up so much from the lows finding value will be harder.

Im sticking to the quality mega cap, high yielding, defensives, vodafone, etc.

Also think Pharmaceuticals will start a new multi year run at some point soon. They are down so much from their 2000 highs that it is looking compelling for the long term value investor.

Likewise keen on Japan on a 20 year low and hated as an investment class. Excellent.

Wary of emerging markets, not selling any but wont be adding to at current valuations. Perhaps Vietnam. More value in the developed markets and there is no correlation between GDP growth and stock market returns.

Timber and Uranium - 2 asset classes I hope to investigate in 2011.

I think it is Snap... And oillies as always, well, the right ones at least anyway.

My current holdings for 2011, some of which are risker than others so always dyor.

Amur Minerals Corp AMC

Dominion Petroleum Ltd DPL

North River Resources Plc NRRP.

Red Rock Resources Plc RRR

Regency Mines Plc RGM

San Leon Energy Plc SLE

ISA

Central Rand Gold Ltd CRND

Polo Resources Ltd POL.

Range Resources Ltd RRL.

I was glad to see that that chap named Hub also thinks oil and miners are the place to be in 2011. He also tips CAZA and HER, same as me :)

Glad to see Jaywall is in the same mindset, even if he does go for dodgey african ones! (although I picked one too... (ALO)

I like the idea if getting shares in gold mining companies, these will be my first trades and as such it's a whole new ball game tio me; however as I see it...

A - Gold will not crash anytime soon (or even longer term whilst the global economies remain F£$%ed?).

B - The share price of gold mining companies has nowhere near tracked the rise in gold over the last few years - surely they will have to catch up soon???

Anyway, a few suggestions of Gold / PM mining companies for me to start researching would be usefull if you could be so kind?

Why just focus on gold? Plenty of other metals looking just as profitable if not more. Silver, copper, uranium.

Personally I recommend Herencia Resources. Have a read about them . ALso, you may get a bargain price next week as I reckon they are due to fall a little after the recent volume buying.

Cheers fawkandles, I'll look into them when I get time - what do you know in a nutshell about them?

I'd like to stick to gold mining shares based on the fact that it's an investment metal rather than "industrial uses" and generally share prices haven't yet tracked the physiscal; whereas physical silver (etc...) should have plenty of room to go up in a relatvely short time.

Edit - These guys [scotgold Resources Limited] could be wrth a punt, sharp rise pending the planning application success maye??? Risky!

Edited by jonesinamillion

Guitarman, you may be the unluckiest investor I know of. Don't let it get you down, just diversify and do more research etc.

Jonesinamillion - have a read of this link. It has recommendations for 10 little AIM stocks including some gold miners. Be aware it is the opinion of one man, but he is a sensible investor imho.

http://thesharehub.com/?p=360

You know what... I've done well on my long-term holdings (LLOY, BP, and I guess you could say ANGM though have only been in for a few weeks now). And done badly out of all my short-term holdings... moral of the story is... hold onto your share even during dips as it will likely go up again (if you've done your research).

I hate looking at the screen to see a loss - I'm going to have to look at the screen less. I aim to make up £1.5k in profit at least over the next year just to cover my losses last year.

AIM stocks do seem to have done really well this last year... however I wouldn't be so bold as to put all my money in those!

Have got £2k in ANGM - up £250 right now.

Just bought £1k's worth of BIP - check out their trading update, reckon this will rise.

And in total up £120 on LLOY and BP combined.

Slowly getting there lol...

EDIT - also bought £800's worth of EML and also £800's worth of RRR. Uranium must be a winner IMO...

RGM and BEM look good but don't want to put too much money in. OTC... should have gotten in earlier, not so sure now.

Edited by guitarman001

Hi Guitarman,

Im glad Angels picked up for you, i really hope things go well for them. Once they announce grades and actually sell some of the yellow stuff they will do well, im keeping my fingers crossed for you, you're a braver man than me !

Added XTR today and thought now might be a prudent time to get into ANR so bought a few of those too.

What price did you get for RRR ? The next few weeks should see the production and grade figures for El Limon and there is so much to come from them throughout 2011. Gold, uranium, rare earths, managanese, more gold, more gold oh and more gold. I can easily see 35p+ for them by the end of 2011.

Best of,

Jaywall

ANGM was skipping along until recently, with the market makers making me really nervous. But I promised myself to be strong and hold onto a share for longer than two seconds for once... I think you are correct; as soon as it ships I see double figures for it. The only problems are short-term profit takers and the big sellers (Socius etc) keep the share muted.

Hmm, XTR looks like it's taking off. Not heard of ANR - need to do more research on these but thanks for pointing them out!

I only bought into RRR today at about 15 IIRC - before the 5% rise it's showing now, anyway :) Taking into account the spread I'm breaking even on it - hoping for BIG things here. And with EML.... both are strongly linked to uranium, which I think is going to be a big investment vehicle in 2011 onward.

For XTR, amongst all the other places to research, this is a good summary of recent events;

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail/?display=discussion&code=cotn:XTR.L&threshold=0&it=le&action=detail&id=7495657

Not the best price to get in at but not bad i think, i like the diversity.

I've had my eye on Altona for a little while, hoping to move some profits there throughout the year but (and i do feel bad about this) the floods in Queensland may well push the price up, so got a bit in there now. It's still a longer term play but this might well put it on the radar for a few like me, worth watching.

I don't know much about EML, but i've heard of it from the Polo boards. Dattels uranium play isn't it ? He has a lot of fans that guy !

Anyway, im glad todays over with. After yesterdays good gains some selling was inevitable, but not too bad to be fair.

Best of,

Jaywall

Good shout on uranium guitarman, I have high hopes for it too but in a different stock (ALO)

Bottom draw investment, just leave it and don't bother monitoring it too much for months. I feel ALO is not only exposed nicely to uranium generally, but a young company yet to get going - so hopefully a serious multibagger for the future - my biggest punt in the portfolio. The sort of share that correlates to the metal it mines but with a massive beta relationship to it - well thats the plan anyway!

Glad to hear your other stuff is ticking up!

Was thinking of you when I checked YELL and VOG prices the other day. These were two shares I ended up in loss in, and had to sell-at-loss or wait conundrum that you've had recently. Sucks. But anyway they have both recovered so I could have waited.

Edited by Fawkandles

I'm left wondering whether or not to get back into the builders' shares....... Strong recovery there but for how long? Dipping back into something you made a loss on is a rule not to do... but I have done... and lost before! But to think of the money I could have made had I stayed in.....

What do you reckon???

ALO... I researched them a while back... will have to dig my notes out. Was tempted to invest at one point.

I don't set stops on AIM stocks... probably dangerous but they're so volatile anyway. Do you?

Should have invested in BEM yesterday as it's rising. Whereas my newest three are falling. Must think long-term!!

Edited by guitarman001

I never go back into anything I lost on, not a falling knife anyway. Plenty more opportunities out there.

Re stops, no I would never use them on the AIM. NEVER. Unless it was a stock with a large cap too big for the aim. I tried using them to buy incase there was a freak movement but they never execute anyway. Just check prices daily and be try to predict direction, extent, etc, on news contingencies.

I'm 15% down in ALO already so what do I know! Will top-up when funds allow, below 4p. Confident in this one.

Even where I have lost money to date, I wouldn't have if I stuck with my gut feeling.

Hey, I'm 13% down on RRR!

Also down on EML and BIP.

REALLY wished I'd got in on BEM and also had money to get into ALO, XTR & possibly OTC.

Still up on BP, LLOY, ANGM.

Haven't dipped back into the builder's shares. Good rule.