House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Golden Shower

Council Tax Revaluation 'delay'

If I was cynical, I would say they realise the huge ****-up they have made in running the economy. They are now doing anything, everything possible to keep golden boy Brown out of the deep sh*t he has created...

Council tax revaluation delayed

You know, that as they borrow money to cover it, that we are probably gonna end up paying for this in the next couple of years.

Guest Riser

Its interesting to see the BBC spin the story saying the revauluation is being delayed because to the massive increase in the value of houses seen since the last valuation.

This report attempts to reinforce the perception that house prices always go up without considering the cyclical boom and bust process which centers around the long term average prices corrected for inflation.

House price cycle based on Nationwides data

If I was cynical, I would say they realise the huge ****-up they have made in running the economy.  They are now doing anything, everything possible to keep golden boy Brown out of the deep sh*t he has created...

Council tax revaluation delayed

You know, that as they borrow money to cover it, that we are probably gonna end up paying for this in the next couple of years.

Good post!

What seems bizzare to me is that the current council tax is more unfair than the poll tax but no one is saying anything. People are taxed on the size of their house rather than the services they consume. The result is that old people are effectively taxed out of their homes.

Guest Riser
What seems bizzare to me is that the current council tax is more unfair than the poll tax but no one is saying anything.

Its another one of those instances like the frog in the saucepan, drop a frog in boiling water and it will jump out, place the frog in cold water and increase the heat slowly, the frog will boil to death. Never tried it myself.

Council taxes are unfair and have been increasing above inflation for years. If Brown had told the public in 1996 he was going to reduce their disposble income by 16% through over 90 stealth taxes they would have told him where to go yet most people think he is still doing a good job.

Stealth Tax Update

Edited by Riser

Its another one of those instances like the frog in the saucepan, drop a frog in boiling water and it will jump out, place the frog in cold water and increase the heat slowly, the frog will boil to death. Never tried it myself.

Council taxes are unfair and have been increasing above inflation for years. If Brown had told the public in 1996 he was going to reduce their disposble income by 16% through over 90 stealth taxes they would have told him where to go yet most people think he is still doing a good job.

Stealth Tax Update

The frog in the water tax is a great analogy.

This story may be a little more revealing than we think. The statutory valuation date that fixed current council tax banding on homes in the UK was the 1 April 1991, at which stage the market was in freefall. Council Tax payers who purchased property a few years after the valuation date were furious that the price they paid suggested that their property should be in a lower band, much time and money was employed by the Valuation Office Agency defending the banding of these properties, an exercise in explaining that the value of homes can go down as well as up.

Could it be that the government don’t want to repeat this costly mistake and wait til the market has crashed before fixing a valuation date? I wonder

Yes, it really is helpful for my 80 year old widowed Mum who saw her Welsh house re-valued upwards this year!

She lives about a mile from Swansea University and, in recent years, alot of BTL speculators haved moved into the area bumping up house prices unrealistically so they can rent them out to students. Guess what, neither the landlords NOR the students actually pay any council tax but my Mum, and all the other elderly residents still in the area, do - and now they pay not only HIGHER tax but a tax which is aimed at the Welsh only.

What a complete insult! What a DISGUSTING way to treat elderly people.

Not only is this Government u-turn racist against the Welsh, it is racist against the poor in Wales! People whom the Labour party once relied upon as their heart and soul! Disgusted!

In a further embarrassment, ministers are required by law to introduce the revaluation by 2007 and will have to amend the Local Government Act of 2003 to postpone the process.

Gordon Brown, the Chancellor, who is planning to lead Labour into the next election, is understood to have played a key role in the postponement.

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh...xportaltop.html

The next prime minister doesn't want this 2 years before a general election.

Edited by brainclamp

Guest Riser
In a further embarrassment, ministers are required by law to introduce the revaluation by 2007 and will have to amend the Local Government Act of 2003 to postpone the process.

Gordon Brown, the Chancellor, who is planning to lead Labour into the next election, is understood to have played a key role in the postponement.

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh...xportaltop.html

The next prime minister doesn't want this 2 years before a general election.

Is Brown so arrogant that he actually believes he has a chance of getting in next time, if he get the top job he will be lucky to see this term out without facing a vote of no confidence. He really does believe his own bu11sh1t doesn't he. :lol::lol:

Edited by Riser

Is this delay because Brown wants attention diverted away from HP for obvious reasons.

If OO's get revalued and see their CT rise 20-30% then try to sell a year later with a much lower EA valuation, there will be murder.

IMO the delay is because there's too much 'ask what you think you can get for it' within the industry right now. If this gets discussed the sheeple may discover the truth behind the 'miracle' and it's lights out for Browns ambition.

Is Brown so arrogant that he actually believes he has a chance of getting in next time, if he get the top job he will be lucky to see this term out without facing a vote of no confidence. He really does believe his own bu11sh1t doesn't he. :lol:  :lol:

Never underestimate spin ;)

Lots of anger over the proposed rebanding on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4255420.stm

"Council tax is increasing at such a rate that soon it will become your second mortgage. With people already struggling to make payments on mortgages and loans, repossessions increasing the economy in trouble and unemployment increasing I can't see how people can afford to pay any more."

Bora Sevincli, Enfield, London

One of us in spirit, if not flesh.

All the reporting on this talks about the number of homeowners who will be affected by the changes in banding.

I rent, but I'm paying council tax. Have I made a mistake, and should I ask the council for my money back? Or is it just sloppy reporting

Thought I'd put a comment I made this morning in the 'House prices in your area' thread, in reponse to the Masked Tulip:

''As for taxing elderly people, who have paid into the state coffers for years, over BTL investors, I think that says everything about the U-turn in the government's social policy to which you refer, and their priorities.

The way in which the council tax is applied in a sweeping way to all - regardless of your level of income, and based on what is essentially, for many, a theoretical rise in house prices - is indeed disgusting.A rise in the price of your home is going to mean b****r all in terms of being able to cover exortionate council tax rises, if you :

1) Are elderly and retired

2) Don't want to/can't downsize to unlock any potential value

3) Rent your home

4) Your income hasn't increased proportionately

I should imagine that covers [much of the population], then.Retired, widowed in-laws have to pay 75% (!!!) as they have a smidgen over the savings threshold.As they say, they may as well not have worked at all, as their friends who never did are in a better position financially.However, getting into this argument is clouding the main issue - the government should not put people in this position in the first place.

And anyway, why should we have to stretch ourselves to pay a tax which is calculated according to the state of the housing market?!This in no way reflects ability to pay.Especially when we already pay fuel duty, road tax, VAT on shopping and goods, income tax, and so on?!''

Edited by Homebird

Lots of anger over the proposed rebanding on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4255420.stm

One of us in spirit, if not flesh.

Loved this quote:

I have no problem with revaluation, but the councils should have to prove that the exercise has not been a tool to raise more cash. My council tax has gone up 49% in 3 years and I have received nothing in return. When I wrote and asked why the increase they told me that the councils employee's pension scheme had a deficit and part of the increase was to plug this gap. The private company I work for sent me a letter last month and said my pension had a deficit so they would be taking an extra 2% from my wages!

Mike, Preston Lancs

they missed their moment..

And not the right time for the government to have half its population running around saying that their house is not wort what the government claim it is..

Which would happen..

Valuer.. "Sir your house is worth £270,000.. Your Council Tax bill is now £2000 a year.."

House Owner. "How much.. I only bought it for £120,000 6 years ago... I am not Paying £2000 a year....

Valuer "Sir, your house is worth that, you will have to pay this bill.."

Owner.... "Find me someone to pay that much and they can buy my damn bill and you can get them to pay your tax.."

and on and on...

We need to rise up and hang the govenment.. I am happy to tie the knots.. and pull that lever..

watching Gordon Browns kicking his feet would be a lovely way to pass an afternoon..]

and I was a nice guy once.. Until Labour came in..

Now I am a cynical angry young man..

We need to rise up and hang the govenment.. I am happy to tie the knots.. and pull that lever..

watching Gordon Browns kicking his feet would be a lovely way to pass an afternoon..]

and I was a nice guy once.. Until Labour came in..

Now I am a cynical angry young man..

Hang on, let me tell you a story of a government that won its third term in sucession, it was lead by a divisive leader that took many controversial decisions that even split their own party, including taking the country to war and siding with the US President to whom they were close. But they were now widly disliked by the left and vehemently so by their own party members. Some accused the government of being arrogant and betraying its ideals and even being ruined by its own power and apathy, ministers resigned and there was talk of taking sides and a leadership challenge. One day the government decided it would be a good idea to tinker with the arcane and somewhat tawdy system of local government finance... well, what harm could become of that?

Rinse and repeat.

Edited by BuyingBear

Guest pioneer31

That's the basic philosophy behind taxation.

They'll add tuppence to something claiming that 'don't panic it's only tuppence'. then next year its another tuppence, then another and before you know it.....

Govts claim that gentle rises are done to keep inflation within it's limits - no, it's done to ensure the public don't notice what's being pulled.

The best way to tax/steal/deceive people is to do it ever so slowly.

Edited by pioneer31