House Price Crash Forum

10M Alive In Britain Today Will Live To Be More Than 100 Years Old

HOLA441

This is a problem which really needs to be addressed. The elephant in the room here is politicians. They serve for a (relatively) short term - it's not in any of their interests to address this long term enigma. In order for this problem to be addressed, it should be done outside of all political interference. Perhaps the next King can solve it, or the European President? One thing's for sure - no political party will ever make more than a token gesture towards this issue - as it would sink them. Despite the polpulation knowing deep down that it is required.

Our current political system is perilously deficient in the area of long term security.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I bet your views will change when YOU are 85!

Lol and that is the problem .

Have two aunts both about 82 , one has said she wants to go and asks why they keep us alive so long , she is in poor health. The other was in good health untill recently when she had a stroke , strokes are measured on a scale form 1 to 10 the higher the number the worse the stroke and less likeleyhood of survival . She had a 9 and familiy was told to expect the worst , but she pulled through and is now in a home needing 24/7 care . Should treatment have been refused ? who knows who is going to make those choices ?

Have heard it said many times that a lot of old people do take their own lives .

HOLA446
HOLA447

My grandma is 81 and thinks euthanasia should be legalised, she said she'd rather be put down so to speak if she loses mental and physical control of her body. I agree, I plan to do myself in, in old age, I'm currently thinking of quitting work at 60 (if I can find stable work that is), then doing myself in around 70 with a mixture of barbituates, heroin, cocaine, alcohol and whatever other drugs I can get my hands on.

HOLA448

My grandma is 81 and thinks euthanasia should be legalised, she said she'd rather be put down so to speak if she loses mental and physical control of her body. I agree, I plan to do myself in, in old age, I'm currently thinking of quitting work at 60 (if I can find stable work that is), then doing myself in around 70 with a mixture of barbituates, heroin, cocaine, alcohol and whatever other drugs I can get my hands on.

My ideal exit is to be shot in bed at the age of 117 by the jealous boyfriend of my 18 year old lover.

Edited by Tiger Woods?

HOLA449

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8230749/10m-alive-in-Britain-today-will-live-to-be-more-than-100-years-old.html

'Ministers say people should prepare to spend more than a third of their lives in retirement due to the "staggering" rise in life expectancy.

In the first official projection of its kind, the Department for Work and Pensions today forecasts that almost a fifth of Britons will celebrate their 100th birthday.

Of the 17 per cent of the population who will become centenarians, about three million are under the age of 16, and 5.5 million are aged between 16 and 50.

The statistics show that there are 1.3 million 51 to 65 year-olds who are likely to get their royal telegram, along with 875,000 people who have already retired.

In total, about half a million people a year will be celebrating their 100th birthday by 2066, compared with about 10,000 now. Nearly 8,000 of them will reach their 110th birthday'

This is gonna be great.Thirty years of living off the NHS and the DSS,can't see a logistical problem with eternal life.We just need gordo back to organise the payments.

Lies, damn lies and government statistics. It is wonderful what you can do with a trend, a ruler and a piece of graph paper

Just like House Prices life expectancy can go up and down if other factors change

I can not help but thinking that the 50 fold increase predicted here is likely to be as accurate as my pin stickers guide to the Derby. or the predictions that average House Prices would be £500,000 by 2012.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/content.php?show=11904

I confdently forecast that we will have at least one million extra complete ****** predictions by 2050

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

HOLA4410

Actually it is possible to make much more extreme predictions which have a possibility of being correct.

e.g. '10M alive in Britain today will live to 500'

This might be within reach due to advances in modern fields such as biotech and nanotech. The best bit is that these technologies could not only keep people alive, but could rejuvinate the body of an 80 year old into the same state as a 25 year old body. If these technologies work. then instead of dying of dementia aged 80, then we will be able to have a good time sneering at those who have paid too high for property well into our 100s.

SENS are already working on it.

Aubrey de grey gives an introduction to this field.

Then as people will no longer reach decrepitude, public pensions should be scrapped.

Edited by blackgoose

HOLA4411

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8230749/10m-alive-in-Britain-today-will-live-to-be-more-than-100-years-old.html

'Ministers say people should prepare to spend more than a third of their lives in retirement due to the "staggering" rise in life expectancy.

In the first official projection of its kind, the Department for Work and Pensions today forecasts that almost a fifth of Britons will celebrate their 100th birthday.

Of the 17 per cent of the population who will become centenarians, about three million are under the age of 16, and 5.5 million are aged between 16 and 50.

The statistics show that there are 1.3 million 51 to 65 year-olds who are likely to get their royal telegram, along with 875,000 people who have already retired.

In total, about half a million people a year will be celebrating their 100th birthday by 2066, compared with about 10,000 now. Nearly 8,000 of them will reach their 110th birthday'

This is gonna be great.Thirty years of living off the NHS and the DSS,can't see a logistical problem with eternal life.We just need gordo back to organise the payments.

Look around. What do you see?

I see people eating too much, consuming too much. I don't see a shortage of anything except common sense. All this talk of "where's the money gonna come from" is from the mouths of those who don't understand.

HOLA4412

I know of people that have been retired 30 to 40 years, many of them retired and claiming healthy pensions both state and index linked pensions from previous employer/s.......they have been retired for longer than they have worked in many cases and their monthly income is far higher than anything they ever earned per month when they were working........this cannot continue to be sustainable.....tax payers can no longer afford to pay for others pensions when they can't afford to invest in their their own.

This problem will only get bigger if it is non nipped at the bud now. ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I know of people that have been retired 30 to 40 years, many of them retired and claiming healthy pensions both state and index linked pensions from previous employer/s.......they have been retired for longer than they have worked in many cases and their monthly income is far higher than anything they ever earned per month when they were working........this cannot continue to be sustainable.....tax payers can no longer afford to pay for others pensions when they can't afford to invest in their their own.

This problem will only get bigger if it is non nipped at the bud now. ;)

Makes me think we shouldn't even start working until we are at least 30 or 40 :)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

...good point, get an education....then keep rolling over the debt, will they pay for the children? ;)

Would be the final act of cruelty on future generations, stop paying for them, while we spend our time in education which we will then deny to them.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

All this straight liner extrapolation futurology makes me laugh.

Quite clearly some big things will happen which nobody can confidently predict which will change everything. That's how it always is.

Makes me laugh too! ;)

y = mx + c

HOLA4423

All this straight liner extrapolation futurology makes me laugh.

Quite clearly some big things will happen which nobody can confidently predict which will change everything. That's how it always is.

gutted...somebody criticising my lifes work...the Bloo Loo (Famous) precision House Price prediction Kit for Journalists. Id better get them recalled as maybe there is a flaw.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The unsustainable, self-centred Baby Boomer mentality offers no solutions for today's challenges, let alone the challenges of tomorrow. We live in a society built by Boomers for Boomers and fundamental change is not just desirable but essential. Such change is unlikely to be achieved at the ballot box so long as the grey majority is content to vote for the young and the unborn to pay the price for today's greed and waste. Dissent is the only way to effect the change our society needs.

Remember when you next watch the police wading into student protesters that some police start to receive their pension at the age of 48. Meanwhile today's students are being told they must start their working lives £40k in debt and retire at 68+ to help balance the public finances.