House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

southmartin

Blue Ray Players

OK, so finally bit the bullet and upgraded the CRT to a shiny new HD LCD TV, and of course I now need to take advantage of the available quality.

So, what should I be looking out for in a Blue Ray player? Ideally I'd consider a Sony one as I can interchange all the other remotes, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm not into gaming, so using a PS3 isn't practical, and I'd probably buy from Richer Sounds as I think their prices & service can't be beaten... But of course, I've no idea where to start? Do Blue Ray players also play DVDs? I'd like to avoid having 3 boxes under the TV (inc Sky) if possible...

Ideas welcome, thanks

Ps3 would have been my suggestion. Iplayer on that :)

Correct, but also ITV and the Channel4 equivalents and lovefilm streaming as well.

The PS3 is more of a media player than a games machine.

Yes

Plug your computer into the TV (HDMI or VGA), add a BluRay drive which costs like £80 add a satellite card for about £100 to your PC, download Media Portal for free and enjoy freesat in HD with pausing live tv, advert skipping software, record onto your hard drive like a sky box, games consolve as most console games are also on PC, and you have one hell of a setup then in one box.

Only complaint might the noise of the fan but you can mask this by putting the computer in a vented cupboard like a video player used to be. Your TV might also have a fan noise as well, I know mine does.

what about WAF?

was looking at them in richer sounds yesterday. 120 odd quid seems to go a long way for bluray these days.

Would suggest trying one out - these days its the little things that bug me - are the leds too bright (little lasers shining straight into your eyes!), are the osd menus fast and legible and easy to navigate, does it boot up a disk in less time than it takes to make a cuppa...? No point adding to stress!

After that look at the feature list - wifi, divx, mp4 etc and quite what that means to you - for a lot of people those are irrelevant extras that there is no point having.

Finally the quality of picture and sound. So many people put this high up the list, but I suspect that there is not a huge difference in the 100-150 quid range. Happy to be corrected if mistaken!

In the end I think it is far less about the feature list, far less about the external styling (barring sheer stupidity) and so much more about the user experience and interface, and the way in which the features are implemented.

Oh and make sure it upscales dvds - but I don't imagine there are many out there that dont!

was looking at them in richer sounds yesterday. 120 odd quid seems to go a long way for bluray these days.

Would suggest trying one out - these days its the little things that bug me - are the leds too bright (little lasers shining straight into your eyes!), are the osd menus fast and legible and easy to navigate, does it boot up a disk in less time than it takes to make a cuppa...? No point adding to stress!

After that look at the feature list - wifi, divx, mp4 etc and quite what that means to you - for a lot of people those are irrelevant extras that there is no point having.

Finally the quality of picture and sound. So many people put this high up the list, but I suspect that there is not a huge difference in the 100-150 quid range. Happy to be corrected if mistaken!

In the end I think it is far less about the feature list, far less about the external styling (barring sheer stupidity) and so much more about the user experience and interface, and the way in which the features are implemented.

Oh and make sure it upscales dvds - but I don't imagine there are many out there that dont!

Thanks all - good advice

At the moment this looks like a winner: http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdps370/sony-bdps370

now, if only there was a richersounds within about an hour from here!

OK, so finally bit the bullet and upgraded the CRT to a shiny new HD LCD TV, and of course I now need to take advantage of the available quality.

So, what should I be looking out for in a Blue Ray player? Ideally I'd consider a Sony one as I can interchange all the other remotes, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm not into gaming, so using a PS3 isn't practical, and I'd probably buy from Richer Sounds as I think their prices & service can't be beaten... But of course, I've no idea where to start? Do Blue Ray players also play DVDs? I'd like to avoid having 3 boxes under the TV (inc Sky) if possible...

Ideas welcome, thanks

My dad has no interest in computer games, but bought a PS3 as a Blue Ray player because it apparently had Sony's best kit in it at the time for less than their own stand alone players.

Sony sell several brilliant web enabled Blue Ray players which are often listed as half price - about 100 notes - on hotukdeals.

Until you have experienced a web enabled Sony DVD player you cannot believe how good they are.

incidentally - if you do get it from rs - check out their extended warranties. They are or at least were - one of the best. Iirc they had a clause that if you paid attention you could take the warranty back for a refund just before it expired if you hadn't used it. Must remember to dig around in my papers for a couple...

Best buy have a toshiba one for 49 quid and if you go through Quidco it gets you 10% cashback.

We bought a Foehn & Hirsch (ebuyer's own brand) for about 57 quid 8 months ago. Works fine, a little noisy when it starts up, and when reading a disc,but once it is playing, it is a lot quieter than the old style PS3 that is in the living room.

And if you are a burglar, the address is Railway Cuttings, East Cheam.

Sony sell several brilliant web enabled Blue Ray players which are often listed as half price - about 100 notes - on hotukdeals.

Until you have experienced a web enabled Sony DVD player you cannot believe how good they are.

My Pioneer BDP 120 overheats and Richer have lent me an expensive Sony 570 web enabled player while they look into it.

Its fab - everyone says it sharper and the colours are better.

Add it starts up really fast compared to the Pioneer.

Oh yeah, and the sound is more precise and atmospheric.

I am definitely going to have a few hitches getting round to returning it when the time comes ;)

If the 370/470 are basically the same players but not 3D ready like the 570 then they are bargains at Richer.

The PS3 plays Bluray very nicely too, but I don't like the boys lugging it up and down the stairs between the playroom and the lounge - accident waiting to happen.

Samsung BD-C6500

A friend of mine has a Sammy. Superb upscaling of DVDs (well, to my eyes at any rate) and fast loading times.

He's got a massive DVD collection so the upscaling is very important.

I can recommend the Sony BDV e870.

Sod that electronic rubbish. As a former cinema projectionist, as far as I'm concerned, anything short of one of these is for amateurs.

1743_City1_DP70_4.jpg

However, as the 70mm prints that run in them cost around £3k per 20-minute reel to make and weigh around 25kg each, I doubt if there's much of a selection available from Love Film! And the light bulbs require a three-phase power supply and consume anything up to 8kw for the larger screens, meaning that recent electricity cost rises would also be an issue. Nevertheless, I did know one or two geeks who had DP-70s and their equivalents running in home cinemas, including one bloke in York whose picture palace consisted of three garden sheds knocked together. Although 70mm prints very, very rarely come up on the collectors' market, there is a healthy market for 16mm and 35mm prints on Ebay and one or two other places, including some titles that go for insane prices (e.g. a 16mm print of E.T. that even the seller admitted was badly scratched and on which the dyes had faded virtually to pink, but which still went for £300ish). As with turntable junkies, there's still a die-hard analogue subculture out there.

I got the sony bpd s370 for £80 in the RS sale. It's pretty good. The only downsides are limited dlna abilities and slight disc noise. I'm not keen on the styling but it's bearable. On the plus side it's easy to set up and the integrated iplayer (and other internet tv) is great and a doddle to use with the remote. It is much better than any implementation I've seen on a media pc. Getting blu ray to work well on a media pc is similarly tricky. The advice posted earlier on how to choose a dedicated blu ray player seems sound to me.

Sod that electronic rubbish. As a former cinema projectionist, as far as I'm concerned, anything short of one of these is for amateurs.

1743_City1_DP70_4.jpg

Mad. Must be a real movie buff.

But nothing compared to what I do. I invite the actors round to my home studio, and they reperform the whole movie for me in real time. Aliens was a bit messy.

Best Blu-Ray we've found is the Seiki BD660 from Walmart, which doesn't appear to be available in the UK. Cost us $78 (about 50 quid?), plays everything we've tried and is region-free for DVDs and multi-region for Blu-Ray.

Best Blu-Ray we've found is the Seiki BD660 from Walmart, which doesn't appear to be available in the UK. Cost us $78 (about 50 quid?), plays everything we've tried and is region-free for DVDs and multi-region for Blu-Ray.

That is seriously good value. From the players I've seen on sale in Britain, machines that are region-free for DVD but region B only for BD are available for around the £100 mark, but the cheapest I've seen that's region-free for both is around £250. Will it accept a 230v power supply? In other words, if I buy one when I'm in the US at the end of the month, could I make it work here simply by chopping the American plug off and putting a UK one on it? I've noticed that the power supplies on a lot of consumer electronics products now will take anything from 110-240v, but not all.

I recently went to the cinema for the first time in about a year only to be patronised by Pegg and Frost about the expense of tickets, cheapness of dvds and the whole big screen thing whilst plugging thier latest juvenile tosh. Thanks but not thanks. Even on Orange frigging Wednesdays it cost £8.60 for 2 people to go to the cinema, nearly £10 if you didn't want the crap seats. I'm almost glad I can't go anymore.

I recently went to the cinema for the first time in about a year only to be patronised by Pegg and Frost about the expense of tickets, cheapness of dvds and the whole big screen thing whilst plugging thier latest juvenile tosh. Thanks but not thanks. Even on Orange frigging Wednesdays it cost £8.60 for 2 people to go to the cinema, nearly £10 if you didn't want the crap seats. I'm almost glad I can't go anymore.

It's now over a decade since I worked in that business and in the time since, the number of times I've gone as a customer has steadily dwindled. I agree with you that cinemagoing has become distinctly unpleasant, the two main reasons being the cost of tickets (which I would guess have more than doubled in real terms since my time) and the antisocial behaviour of the rest of the audience. In fact, the last paid visit to the cinema I made was to the National Film Theatre in London to see an obscure French film from the 1950s. You wouldn't expect a major chav element in such an audience, but nevertheless there was one: a normal speaking voice conversation was taking place in the row behind me (one person was reading the subtitles aloud to another, who either had literacy or eyesight issues), and the glow of mobile phone screens all around made it almost impossible to concentrate on the film. If you have to put up with that in an arthouse cinema, I shudder to think what your average shopping centre fleapit is now like.

When I left the industry, the DVD was only just starting to make its presence felt. VHS was still the norm for home viewing, the cheapest video projectors cost several grand, players that could play VHS stereo were seriously expensive and rare and the picture quality was shite, even compared to a poorly equipped and incompetently operated 35mm cinema. 'Home cinema' existed, but was seriously expensive and not very good. Fast forward a decade or so, and a £500 will buy you a large flat screen telly, a BD player and multi-channel sound. Call that a couple of grand and access to a big enough wall, and you can have something that subjectively is comparable to a typical multiplex auditorium. Of course you don't get the atmosphere of seeing the film with a large audience - but the way today's audiences behave, you probably don't want that either.

That is seriously good value. From the players I've seen on sale in Britain, machines that are region-free for DVD but region B only for BD are available for around the £100 mark, but the cheapest I've seen that's region-free for both is around £250. Will it accept a 230v power supply?

Good question. I'll check the manual and the stickers later.