House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Bt Homehub 2.0 (The Black Curved One)

Against my better judgement I make use of a BT Homehub 2.0. (Mainly because everytime the broadband is down, the gentleman called "Nigel" who speaks with a Mumbai accent refuses to speak to me unless I have the damn thing plugged in.)

Anyway I use the homehub for my main Broadband connection, and consequently it does get a bit hammered by residential standards, typically there may be 3 or 4 wireless devices floating about (my work laptop, wife's laptop and our wifi enabled smart phones), in addition to this it also support Wired Ethernet to my Samsung printer and also a desktop PC and HP Media Smart Server.

Anyway I have just bought a new Desktop PC which I mainly want to run off its internal Wifi Adapter, however I am really struggling to get it to talk to the other devices (mainly the old desktop and Media Smart Server). All the other Windows 7 devices work ok in this regard and I can even RDP into some of the Windows 7 devices from my Ubuntu laptop

Interestingly it does working off a wired connection, and could then see all the folder shares etc perfectly. Off the Wifi though I can access the systems via their IP addresses, but for some reason it really doesn't want to use DNS.

Gut feeling is that I am maxing out the DNS engine on the homehub. Any other suggestions? (Note I have played with the Firewall on the PC and have adjusted all the necessary ports for Windows Homegroups and Sharing etc).

Any suggestions on a decent home router with ADSL?

My daughter in law was getting the same problem. She called out BT and they found that the wire from the pole to the house was faulty. When the engineer got up the ladder and inspected the wire it was perished and hanging by a thread. A new wire solved the problem.

My daughter in law was getting the same problem. She called out BT and they found that the wire from the pole to the house was faulty. When the engineer got up the ladder and inspected the wire it was perished and hanging by a thread. A new wire solved the problem.

I don't think this is the same issue, its internal DNS, so everything in my house basically.

Cheap wireless is rubbish. You can bet that BT have scoured the world for the cheapest, shittiest chipset for their device. Get a decent Access Point - I'm using a business grade (properly managable) pair of D-links (about £200 each) and wireless is now pretty bombproof. With cheap devices, it used to be so unreliable as to be unusable.

Cheap wireless is rubbish. You can bet that BT have scoured the world for the cheapest, shittiest chipset for their device. Get a decent Access Point - I'm using a business grade (properly managable) pair of D-links (about £200 each) and wireless is now pretty bombproof. With cheap devices, it used to be so unreliable as to be unusable.

That was where I was heading. What model numbers do you have rxe?

Dlink DWL 3200. Only £170 or so now. The only downside is that they need a reboot after any changes, and they seem to lose their settings if they are left switched off for a while. Easy to reload though, you can export the config and just put it back in if it happens.

Apart from those two niggles, they've been perfect.

Yeah those Indian IT workers are useless.

A big part of the problem is the language barrier , it can be very hard to understand them sometimes but overall i'd still say the experienced 1st world support workers are superior in knowledge.

Dlink DWL 3200. Only £170 or so now. The only downside is that they need a reboot after any changes, and they seem to lose their settings if they are left switched off for a while. Easy to reload though, you can export the config and just put it back in if it happens.

Apart from those two niggles, they've been perfect.

Thanks, I'll take a look, though there seem to be fewer people selling that model now.. The other one I spotted that has had good review is the Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router , you get the broadband modem part with it and it looks like a small business rather than domesitc devices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002TOKGL8/ref=oss_product

Any thoughts on that?

If the homehub DNS is the issue, you could set your devices to use external resolvers.

I use the OpenDNS resolvers and it's definitely speeded up my browsing:

Or you could try Google's public DNS servers: