House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Zulus! Thousands Of Them!

Colour Sergeant Bourne: It's a miracle.

Lieutenant John Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle.

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.

Coincidentally I'm quarter of the way through watching Zulu Dawn (again). The prequel, probably not quite as good and takes a while to get into, but some great scenes in it and the main theme music is fantastic!

One of the best scenes sums up the title of this thread, when a scout party accidentally stumble into the main Zulu impi who are resting in a valley (which actually happened, no artisitc license here). Bloody thousands of 'em!

This is private John Williams VC. He got his VC for hacking holes in interior walls of the hosipital at Rorke's Drift and helping to drag a number of patients out through them, saving their lives. He's also my great, great grandfather.

VCJohnWilliams.jpg

The film is an excellent piece of entertainment but it has only a tenuous connection to what actually happened ar Rorke's Drift. Here's what Michael Caine's character looked like in real life, for example.

vc_gonville_bromhead.jpg

I love this film.

My mate in Barnsley (ex-army) loves it too. He's seen it dozens of times (much to the dispair of his wife and kids).

"Well, they've got a very good bass section, mind, but no top tenors, that's for sure."

My mate in Barnsley (ex-army) loves it too. He's seen it dozens of times (much to the dispair of his wife and kids).

"Well, they've got a very good bass section, mind, but no top tenors, that's for sure."

I hate to say it but the 24th regiment of foot at the time was the 2nd Warwickshire regiment and only became the South Wales Borderers several years later. At Rorke's Drift they had no more welshmen than any other English regiment in the army.

The film is an excellent piece of entertainment but it has only a tenuous connection to what actually happened ar Rorke's Drift. Here's what Michael Caine's character looked like in real life, for example.

vc_gonville_bromhead.jpg

Cor, bad enough for my pc - or is it the board - to censor!

I hate to say it but the 24th regiment of foot at the time was the 2nd Warwickshire regiment and only became the South Wales Borderers several years later.

Doesn't bother me too much TBH. We had a look at the real history of the battle on his computer many years ago (Mac LCIII, so that should give you some idea of how long ago that was). Things like Pvt. Hook not being anything like he's portrayed in the film for example.

Hook's character was doubtless altered for dramatic reasons. They probably ought to have given that character a new fictional name as well but as he won the VC, maybe that would have caused problems? Don't they list the VC winners at the end? If they do, mixing real and fictional people at that point would have looked a bit tacky.

Doesn't bother me too much TBH. We had a look at the real history of the battle on his computer many years ago (Mac LCIII, so that should give you some idea of how long ago that was). Things like Pvt. Hook not being anything like he's portrayed in the film for example.

Hook's character was doubtless altered for dramatic reasons. They probably ought to have given that character a new fictional name as well but as he won the VC, maybe that would have caused problems? Don't they list the VC winners at the end? If they do, mixing real and fictional people at that point would have looked a bit tacky.

They do. Hooke was actually a teatotaller in real life rather than the drunken malingerer portrayed in the film. His grandaughter (IIRC) was so appaled at the way he was portraid in the film she walked out half way through. Apparently the drunkard bit came from a comment he made after the battle. "After that, maybe I'll take a drink".

Get the bluray copy - rated as one of the best bluray transfers you can buy - looks like it was filmed last week. God knows how they have captured this level of quality from a '64 film

Hooke was actually a teatotaller in real life...

IIRC) was so appaled at the way he was portraid in the film she walked out half way through.

Didn't know that he was a teetotaler.

Can't blame his family for being upset. The film is the main reason the battle of Rorke's Drift is so well known to us today. It gets worse. Apparently even The Battle of O'Rourke's Ford in S.M. Stirling's science fiction novel On the Oceans of Eternity is a recreation of the movie premise, right down to a malingering Private Hook (source: Wikipedia).

Get the bluray copy....looks like it was filmed last week.

Great news.

The film was shot using 70mm film (Super Technirama 70), so the definition would certainly have been there originally. Apparently the movie had a full restoration thanks to funding from BSKYB and Paramount.

I find the worst to be the tale of Scheiss. A swiss born man that was awarded the vc at rorkes drift but ended up being disbanded and pretty much being discarded by the British and dying of starvation. The only possession they found on him was his vc.

Been a while so if what I say doesnt quite match the first link that I found then please shut the hell up :lol:

http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/swiss-soldiers-in-foreign-service-christian-ferdinand-schiess-battle-of-rorke-s-drift-jan-22-1879/

This is private John Williams VC. He got his VC for hacking holes in interior walls of the hosipital at Rorke's Drift and helping to drag a number of patients out through them, saving their lives. He's also my great, great grandfather.

Not only a courageous man, but displaying latent abilities as a property developer in the process.

I find the worst to be the tale of Scheiss. A swiss born man that was awarded the vc at rorkes drift but ended up being disbanded and pretty much being discarded by the British and dying of starvation. The only possession they found on him was his vc.

Been a while so if what I say doesnt quite match the first link that I found then please shut the hell up :lol:

http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/swiss-soldiers-in-foreign-service-christian-ferdinand-schiess-battle-of-rorke-s-drift-jan-22-1879/

More than a few of the B company men fell on hard times after being discharged from the army and several ended up selling their medals.

Private William Jones, another man posted in the hospital, is one example.

They do. Hooke was actually a teatotaller in real life rather than the drunken malingerer portrayed in the film. His grandaughter (IIRC) was so appaled at the way he was portraid in the film she walked out half way through. Apparently the drunkard bit came from a comment he made after the battle. "After that, maybe I'll take a drink".

Much of the story of the battle appears to be 'reinterpreted' in the film, as well as the portrayal of the men. I've never been entirely sure why, as other tellings seem more dramatic to me. "The Washing of the Spears" is a good account of the Zulu war.

Rookie police officer radios his superiors saying 'Sarg, theres a black man dancing on top of car, what do you advise, over'. Sarg replies 'Constable, use the correct lingo, you're on police radio, over' Constable radios back and says 'zulu, sierra, tango'.

:ph34r::lol::unsure:

The great "Zulu Dawn" just starting on Moviesformen or catch it an hour on +1.