House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

If Cricket Is So Important To The English...

...why do so few English people play Cricket.

Btw, I am developing an aversion to all these TV and Radio female journos talking excitedly about the cricket as if it was their reason to live. It is bad enough with football but seems even more bizarre with cricket.

You get the distinct impression that they are only doing so for Meeja career advancement out of fear that they won't seem hip and 'right on' if they actually say "You know what, I would rather go shopping!".

I don't know a single female in real life who is interested in Cricket and only one who is interested in football.

It is even played regularly in Sunny Jockland. I kid you not !!

Even played it myself a few times. I am probably the Worlds worst fielder.

No - you both are saying that you used to play cricket. I used to play cricket many, many years ago.

You hardly see the game played at all nowadays. People do other things. They had to invent that limited overs game because cricket was dying on its knees.

I think beyond a few thousand diehards and the meeja most people in the UK simply do not give a monkeys about cricket. Too busy cycling or jogging or climbing or surfing or doing something that is fun and interesting.

It's like the football - the English media are like rabid dogs when they've a whiff of success! No offence to the English on here but any Scot will tell you how tiring it can be. Now snooker, there's a real game! :)

No - you both are saying that you used to play cricket. I used to play cricket many, many years ago.

You hardly see the game played at all nowadays. People do other things. They had to invent that limited overs game because cricket was dying on its knees.

I think beyond a few thousand diehards and the meeja most people in the UK simply do not give a monkeys about cricket. Too busy cycling or jogging or climbing or surfing or doing something that is fun and interesting.

First time I ever played was a few years back. Never played when younger so it is more of a new thing to me. It is surprsinlgy quite popular in Jockland !!

I quite enjoyed it. Lost of different skills to learn.

Anyway I dont know about England, but you are right not many Jocks give a ****** about it. But then again far more than you would imagine.

I think its a middle class thing. Lots of pitches in the middle class villages near where I am.

In the council estate closer to me there are basketball courts that get used once in a blue moon. Usually its a racetrack for chavs on their mini motos though. The poor people dont seem to *do* exercise or sports, other than sex, getting in fights over who touched their drink or woman and running away from the police.

Just not true. AFAIK league cricket is thriving. The 20/20 filled a niche, and is a good day out.

Many, many times more people play cricket than climb or surf, that's a certainty.

Could anyone hazard a guess as to what the UK's most popular sport is, judged by level of participation? (no googling, you cheats ;))

Just not true. AFAIK league cricket is thriving. The 20/20 filled a niche, and is a good day out.

Many, many times more people play cricket than climb or surf, that's a certainty.

Could anyone hazard a guess as to what the UK's most popular sport is, judged by level of participation? (no googling, you cheats ;))

Angling is the most popular pastime in the UK. Not sure if it falls into the sport category though.

Personally I think that cricket is one of the most boring games to watch.

It does however break all sporting rules imo and is the only sport that I know of which is actually far more boring to play than watch.

Mind numbing stuff.

It does however break all sporting rules imo and is the only sport that I know of which is actually far more boring to play than watch.

Mind numbing stuff.

PMSL.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well said. I htink those that are interested are probably at the stadium watching the match. I couldn't give a monkeys about cricket. Like horseracing, who's interested in who won the 3:30 fom Kemptown? Not me, so why is it always Channel 4 staple filler at the weekend?

On the subject of females advancing their careers in television or breaking into television a good example I always cite is that of Kate Walsh (you may see her flashing her teeth on Channel 5) who was clearly only on The Apprentice not because she wanted to be a businesswoman but because she wanted the role she now has and saw it as nothing more than a stepping stone. They couldn't be more different roles.

Mind numbing stuff.

+1

What annoys me most is the assumption by many that I must be interested in it. I'd rather lance my own pustules, if I had any right now.

Cant stand football either, but at least it does have the advantages of 1 it isnt as ****-crunchingly tedious, there is actually action most of the time, rather than nothing actually happening most of the time 2) when people are talking about it they are not generally as mindnumbingly boring and incomprehensible to those of us who dont share the obsession and 3 it is mercifully all over after an hour and a half.

wink.gif

...why do so few English people play Cricket.

Btw, I am developing an aversion to all these TV and Radio female journos talking excitedly about the cricket as if it was their reason to live. It is bad enough with football but seems even more bizarre with cricket.

You get the distinct impression that they are only doing so for Meeja career advancement out of fear that they won't seem hip and 'right on' if they actually say "You know what, I would rather go shopping!".

I don't know a single female in real life who is interested in Cricket and only one who is interested in football.

Cricket is played several times per week (during the summer) on my village green. They have a groundsman, pavilion, and all that.

Live and well where I am.

EDIT: to add, that all of the neighbouring villages have cricket greens too.

I'd much rather hear about england winning something rather than going through all the hype in the summer about a bunch of overpaid talentless footballers at the world cup

With cricket they have used technology to get accurate results, have proper discipline and we have won fairly and squarely against an opponent team who use sledging and every other trick in the book to win.

I used to be in the south england schools squad and can honestly say I find the game too time consuming but there are a huge amount of cricket lovers in this country and I for one am chuffed the press are behind it, I'd rather listen to that than the latest sprog some celeb has just bought

Do you recall the crowds in London when we won the 2005 ashes?

Cricket is an Indian game adopted by the British in 1862! ;)

Cricket is an Indian game adopted by the British in 1862! ;)

Did they tell you that down at the local take away? :lol:

Unfortunately, no one knows exactly who invented cricket. In 1301, Prince Edward played a game of ‘creag’ which some people think was an early form of cricket. Other people believe the game was invented in the Netherlands during the 13th, 14th or 15th century. The earliest written reference to ‘cricket’ is in a 1598 court case which noted that some boys were playing a game of ‘creckett’. Most historians believe the game was originally played by children. By the early 1600’s adults starting playing the game.

Did they tell you that down at the local take away? :lol:

No I had a desire to talk ********, unlike anyone else here! ;)