House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Infrastructure In Crisis In N Ireland - 10S Of Thousands Without Water Since Chrimbo

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/Anger-grows-over-water-crisis.6673878.jp

Apparently reservoirs have been drained by burst pipes, people have been without water for a week and the health services are now warning of a developing health crisis.

Dublin and other parts of the south have been hit hard too - apparently the water infrastructure was not fit for purpose - mains not deep enough, etc.

The clips I've seen on the news showed massive leaks on outside pipes up the side of houses!

Surely water pipes need to be underground and then indoors as soon as possible?

I know! Also, lots of empty properties because of the economic meltdown - frozen pipes inside and out - nice! A few flooded ghost estates methinks!

Apparently some areas have seen reservoirs run dry so much water has been running out - places like Coalisland.

Edited by gruffydd

so the stop cocks were not switched off in empty homes, oh dear

furthermore, Northern Ireland water company is public sector - all the private sector ones elsewhere in the UK (eg scotland with same climate as N Ireland) have not been so caught with their pants down, they are responsible to parliament and know they could lose their franchise if hey mess up like this - whereas public sector equivalents know that if they c0ck up they simply get more money and get to employ more people, it is in their interests to get it wrong I am afraid

I know! Also, lots of empty properties because of the economic meltdown - frozen pipes inside and out - nice! A few flooded ghost estates methinks!

Apparently some areas have seen reservoirs run dry so much water has been running out - places like Coalisland.

I would like to know about this, it is not as if NI has not had a big freeze before. So what has changed. The news pictures were not clear enough to see if those gushing pipes were on the side of new builds but I have my suspicions...

My other half said that all the pipe replacements used my builders round our way are thermal pipes that cope with freezing, and are not external where possible.

Edited by Tonkers

I'm expecting calls for a tax payer bail out of all the empty property owners who are about to find out that insurance doesn't cover empty properties.

I'll be looking out for a load of water damaged properties hitting the auctions.

It was the coldest temperatures for 25 years. Also the freeze went on for much longer than normal.

So they should have accounted for a one in 25 year event, which you would expect to happen 3 times in the average lifetime.

Edited by fellow

There are lots of good reasons to have 6 months of food and water on hand these days it would seem...

Yes. Top of the list should be water.

Wont survive long without clean water to drink.

Water purification systems/tablets.

It was the coldest temperatures for 25 years. Also the freeze went on for much longer than normal.

And? How is this relevant, exactly? Pipes and other buildings should be built to withstand 25yr events - as by their very nature they happen with some regularity.

6 months of potable water for a family is thousands of gallons.

Unless you have a swimming pool (best option) then a fire, a few bottles of bleach and a filtration system will work perfectly.

so the stop cocks were not switched off in empty homes, oh dear

furthermore, Northern Ireland water company is public sector - all the private sector ones elsewhere in the UK (eg scotland with same climate as N Ireland) have not been so caught with their pants down, they are responsible to parliament and know they could lose their franchise if hey mess up like this - whereas public sector equivalents know that if they c0ck up they simply get more money and get to employ more people, it is in their interests to get it wrong I am afraid

Scottish Water and Dwr Cymru are government owned. Only the English water companies are privately owned, and if you look at Thames Water's appaling criminal record, being privately owned isn't necessarily a good thing.

6 months of potable water for a family is thousands of gallons.

Unless you have a swimming pool (best option) then a fire, a few bottles of bleach and a filtration system will work perfectly.

You could get by with some water barrels to collect rain water and the methods of purification like you suggest.

Looking at the pictures of the water crises in NI and the people queuing for water just shows how if it dont come out of a tap or from a shop in a bottle

then people are pretty helpless, all they can think of doing is stand in a queue and some nice man will give you water.

In a real crises there will be no nice men handing out free water.

I would like to know about this, it is not as if NI has not had a big freeze before. So what has changed. The news pictures were not clear enough to see if those gushing pipes were on the side of new builds but I have my suspicions...

My other half said that all the pipe replacements used my builders round our way are thermal pipes that cope with freezing, and are not external where possible.

I think what has changed is the use of plastic pipes for plumbing inside houses rather than copper pipes. Plastic pipes only last about 10 years at the best of times, whereas copper pipes last much longer.

at the very least every house could have a water butt in the garden and a Millbank bag to filter then iodine tabs or boil if poss, should give safe drinking water for a family for a few weeks. And either a porta potty stashed for emergency use or a spade and small gazebo in the garden for a toilet :ph34r:

You could get by with some water barrels to collect rain water and the methods of purification like you suggest.

Looking at the pictures of the water crises in NI and the people queuing for water just shows how if it dont come out of a tap or from a shop in a bottle

then people are pretty helpless, all they can think of doing is stand in a queue and some nice man will give you water.

In a real crises there will be no nice men handing out free water.

sounds like you're one of those dangerous "thinks for themselves" types, not the sort of attitude the last government wanted to foster

sounds like you're one of those dangerous "thinks for themselves" types, not the sort of attitude the last government wanted to foster

I am preparing for the worse and I suggest others do the same.

I am preparing for the worse and I suggest others do the same.

always have a mind for it myself, on the practical side, my wife used to think i was a bit cranky but have been proven sensible enough times that she's now quite proud of my forethought. A lot of people are just buying gold with their fiat currency instead of preparing themselves

Scottish Water and Dwr Cymru are government owned. Only the English water companies are privately owned, and if you look at Thames Water's appaling criminal record, being privately owned isn't necessarily a good thing.

Hands up - my thesis collapses in a pile of rubble....

I would like to know about this, it is not as if NI has not had a big freeze before. So what has changed.

It went to minus 20 in some places. I was out there for Christmas, and there were water pipes underground which had frozen. It has to be really cold, for quite some time, before that sort of thing starts happening. NI has not seen a big freeze like this for a long time.

Quite a few leaks above the ground, as to be expected after the coldest Dec since records began in 1890s - but main prob here is underground - so many pipes are leaking underground that pressure is being lost (and heaven only knows how fast the reservoirs are depleting!) :ph34r:

Watch this space, but I reckon there could be massive implications for supply next Spring / Summer. A crisis in the making.

Not sure England has thawed as much as we have yet, but expect major probs everywhere in due course. PS. I hear very cold weather is heading our way again next week.

Edited by gruffydd

We've got it too!

Hold-ups in Brighton after shopping street "collapse"

A section of road in central Brighton is reported to have collapsed.
North Street has been closed eastbound and council officers have been sent to investigate the scale and cause of the problem.
Officers said the collapse may have been caused by a water main bursting because of the cold weather and thaw.