House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

£100K A Year Council Workers Get £700K Redundancy Bonus

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342333/The-700-000-golden-goodbye-Shame-fat-cat-bosses-given-huge-pay-rises-pension-boosts-just-council-axed.html

A former £100,000-a-year ­council boss is to face legal action over claims he inflated his own salary as well as that of senior colleagues to secure an extra £700,000 in ­redundancy and pension payouts.
The cash windfalls were paid out after the senior executives were all made redundant from Wansbeck District Council in Northumberland in March 2009 as part of a major overhaul of local government.
Under the controversial plans drawn up by the then Labour government, 45 district, borough and county councils merged into just nine ­‘unitary’ local authorities, with Wansbeck being merged into Northumberland County Council.

This country is hopelessly corrupt. And the Koalishon will probably do nothing. All in it togther blah blah blah......

Edited by Realistbear

This country is hopelessly corrupt. And the Koalishon will probably do nothing. All in it togther blah blah blah......

They are all from the same family of pigs that have their nose in the same troth, the troth the taxpayer keeps funding.

This may have worked when houses were ATM's but I suspect people will get increasingly cheesed off with such stories now as they face hardship while these parasites continue to suck the host dry.

A bloke I knew was the beneficiary of these kinds of shenanigans thanks to his service in the Army.

After his retirement he became a (distant) colleague of mine at an insurance company and told me the story: Immediately prior to retiring he got bumped up to the rank of major with the accompanying pay rise and decent pension thank you very much.

You can be sure this practice is rife through the public sector and councillor in the news clip is one of many thousands.

If just to prevent this kinds of abuse, if for nothing else, it's time public sector final salary schemes were scrapped.

I'm all for enterprise but not of this kind.

They are all from the same family of pigs that have their nose in the same troth, the troth the taxpayer keeps funding.

This may have worked when houses were ATM's but I suspect people will get increasingly cheesed off with such stories now as they face hardship while these parasites continue to suck the host dry.

do you have a speech impediment?

After his retirement he became a (distant) colleague of mine at an insurance company and told me the story: Immediately prior to retiring he got bumped up to the rank of major with the accompanying pay rise and decent pension thank you very much.

Precisely why final salary pensions should be replaced by career average ones ASAP.

A bloke I knew was the beneficiary of these kinds of shenanigans thanks to his service in the Army.

You can be sure this practice is rife through the public sector and councillor in the news clip is one of many thousands.

If just to prevent this kinds of abuse, if for nothing else, it's time public sector final salary schemes were scrapped.

Well they most certainly should be based upon a 10 year average earnings

tim

Well they most certainly should be based upon a 10 year average earnings

tim

They need capping! WE can not afford to keep giving some people so much money.

Why base it on anything other than what they put in?

Nothing will be done. Evidence won't be found. It will be too "expensive" to bring to court. blah blah.

This won't stop till these guys meets their "pitchfork moment" and/or end up hanging from a lamp post. The populous will have to get a great deal hungrier to get motivated enough.

Nothing will be done. Evidence won't be found. It will be too "expensive" to bring to court. blah blah.

This won't stop till these guys meets their "pitchfork moment" and/or end up hanging from a lamp post. The populous will have to get a great deal hungrier to get motivated enough.

You can say that again.

If you want to point to the gubbmint, could it not be a straw in the wind that this case is now being investigated?

They need capping! WE can not afford to keep giving some people so much money.

Why base it on anything other than what they put in?

What kind of capping? Knee caping...

Since we're on a budget shotgun shells are not to be used! A screw driver and a hammer in this age of austerity.

What kind of capping? Knee caping...

Since we're on a budget shotgun shells are not to be used! A screw driver and a hammer in this age of austerity.

Yeah any sort that is cheap!

Precisely why final salary pensions should be replaced by career average ones ASAP.

+1

And I say that as someone paying into a final salary pension scheme myself. My argument is that I am now deterred from taking a demotion (lower paid role in my current employment) and give someone a bit younger the chance at the management role. Something I was seriously consider had it not been for my final salary pension. i.e, I've been paying the higher payments every month while my salary was high, I'm not now going to reduce my final salary this late in the game.

another reason to half salaries above 25K

The excuse of course will be they can't. Threat of industrial tribunal, breach of contract or whatever. These are high earners and "entitled" so the normal rules are suspended. Anyone over £50k is in some way magically imbued with special powers and talents. They are irreplaceable!

Strange because in my experience of being an employee the contract of employment was only toilet paper, and employers could change conditions whenever they felt like it!

Edited by Sir John Steed

I'm all for enterprise but not of this kind.

Once a poster here reminded us that these contracts are so good because after all they negotiate them with themselves.

And a politician that dares to oppose the civil service will have knives in his/her back. Remember Blair in his first year?, when he tried to reform the public sector? The civil service + Gordon Brown won over Blair, Frank field etc. Blair became a lame PM.

And remember the Warwick agreement, between the unions and Labour, conditioning donations to the Labour party to some public sector pensions rights increases. If that is not corruption then I don't know what corruption is.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342333/The-700-000-golden-goodbye-Shame-fat-cat-bosses-given-huge-pay-rises-pension-boosts-just-council-axed.html

A former £100,000-a-year ­council boss is to face legal action over claims he inflated his own salary as well as that of senior colleagues to secure an extra £700,000 in ­redundancy and pension payouts.
The cash windfalls were paid out after the senior executives were all made redundant from Wansbeck District Council in Northumberland in March 2009 as part of a major overhaul of local government.
Under the controversial plans drawn up by the then Labour government, 45 district, borough and county councils merged into just nine ­‘unitary’ local authorities, with Wansbeck being merged into Northumberland County Council.

Its been going on for ages. Cambridge Shitty Council being one in question. The former CEX the odious Rob Hammond rubber stamped a load of sham redundancy's against lower and some middle ranking staff in 2008. Then with the help of his corrupt lib dem councillor mates paid himself off with about £200K of tax payers money when his actions started to be scrutinised :angry:

Edited by Kurt Barlow

The excuse of course will be they can't. Threat of industrial tribunal, breach of contract or whatever. These are high earners and "entitled" so the normal rules are suspended. Anyone over £50k is in some way magically imbued with special powers and talents. They are irreplaceable!

Strange because in my experience of being an employee the contract of employment was only toilet paper, and employers could change conditions whenever they felt like it!

yep, Mrs Loo was in dispute with her employer about a serious change in hours...to her detriment...the Union was sympathetic but said all she could do was leave and make aclaim for constructive dismissal, but all the employer had to claim was that the change was a business neccessity....course, with the recession and all, a case could easily be made.

anyway, the new rota, she was absolutely assured, would mean no more call outs as they could provide cover with "spare staff".

well, she's been on it a month and today is the 3rd call out.

Powerless, yet for the knobs in councils....anything goes.

Powerless, yet for the knobs in councils....anything goes.

Exactly, but hey ho, "we are all in this together," though it would seem some are less in it, than others.

Why is it only the mail reporting on this insanity.

Its a sad fact that the DM is the one remaining bastion of truth in a world of lies.

Maybe it is the only paper which isn't behind a paywall or something?

And I say that as someone paying into a final salary pension scheme myself. My argument is that I am now deterred from taking a demotion (lower paid role in my current employment) and give someone a bit younger the chance at the management role. Something I was seriously consider had it not been for my final salary pension. i.e, I've been paying the higher payments every month while my salary was high, I'm not now going to reduce my final salary this late in the game.

Me too (paying into a final salary scheme). They also encourage people to tread water in intermediate level positions for most of their careers, then apply for promotion or extra responsibilities that carry pay increments shortly before retirement, in order to get a much bigger pension than they've paid for. And as you say, once there, people are going to hang grimly and ineffectively on in the most senior and high-stress role they can until the day they retire, whereas surely it makes sense for older workers to wind down the volume and intensity of their job gradually over a number of years.

We're talking about top bosses here. Whether in the public or private sector, they scratch each other's backs, facilitate financial favours for each other and feather their own nests. Because they see themselves with reference to their own peer group - corporate top bosses - they take their cues on 'entitlement' from comparisons with other top bosses.