House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Unemployment To Hit 17-Year High In 2011, Warns Cipd

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8224054/Unemployment-to-hit-17-year-high-in-2011-warns-CIPD.html

Unemployment to hit 17-year high in 2011, warns CIPD
As many as 200,000 jobs could be shed in 2011 in what is predicted to be a "worse year for jobs" in 17 years, an analysis revealed...../
Unemployment is forecast to rise from 7.9pc to 9pc, or 2.7m, in 2011 as the private sector struggles to create jobs to offset wide-scale state redundancies.
Any jobs that are generated are likely to be part-time or temporary, while workers can expect to endure below-inflation pay rises of just 2pc, the CIPD's economic forecast, published today, showed.

There is nothing more powerful in terms of house price destructive force than massive job losses. All those sellers waiting to get "the right price" or their money back will soon have no option but to sell at current market value.

IMO 12% unemployed by year end 2011. Factoring non-jobs PT etc.

Edited by Realistbear

The last hpc was driven by repossessions. There have been much fewer than predicted in the last couple of years because interest rates have been kept low and people have been kept on - perhaps on lower hours and without a pay rise - but in work. As a result house prices have stayed high.

Interest rates can only rise and there will be significant job losses in the coming year. I'm hoping for a decent fall in house prices next year - not this single figure nonsense, a real fall.

Interest rates can only rise and there will be significant job losses in the coming year. I'm hoping for a decent fall in house prices next year - not this single figure nonsense, a real fall.

I'm not holding my breath for an interest rate rise but job losses appear to be coming whether TPTB like it or not.

Personally I think we'll see more QE in 2011, driving Sterling down and food/energy prices up, this should add further pressure on peoples ability to keep asking prices at ridiculous levels. Buyers will be more concerned with paying for constantly inflating food and energy whilst their wage, if they still have a job, goes nowhere.

Some pleasure with that pain, Sir? <_<

I am getting tired of waiting but it looks like another year of renting as to buy in current conditions will guarantee a loss of about £1000 a week on any given 250k house around my way.

£1000 a week is a lot. In reality, its like saving that much--tax free.

I can think of quite a few areas of the private sector where reductions in staffing will be taking place over the coming years.

Outside of the government I can't think of too many areas which will be strongly growing their workforce. One of the few areas I coud think of was people to watch the CCTV camera monitors, and people to watch the people watching the monitors.

I can think of quite a few areas of the private sector where reductions in staffing will be taking place over the coming years.

Outside of the government I can't think of too many areas which will be strongly growing their workforce. One of the few areas I coud think of was people to watch the CCTV camera monitors, and people to watch the people watching the monitors.

Read yesterday that the much vaunted spycamera/scamera scheme that was going to be cut back 70% has itself been scrapped. Too much money to be made on speed cameras it seems so their jobs are all safe. The new plan is to keep the cameras going and give the police a cut of the profits with the rest going to some "fund" somewhere. Fine to go to £100 but no points for less serious case. Blatant case of revenue enhancement and not a deterrent to speeding. No money to be made in points (other than car insurers) but lots of bennies with bigger fines.

I am getting more and more disappointed with the Koalishon as time passes. Can we have some sort of "Tea Party" get going here that represents the people's fundamental desires: lower House prices, end of council fatcats and Parliamentary corruption, no more spycameras unless it is for an area that needs them for security or safety reasons, immigration caps, break up of the banks, nationalising water and other essential social services. All we need is a nice looking middle-aged woman to lead and away we go!

Edited by Realistbear