House Price Crash Forum
pandora's box

Donate To Charity Every Time You Pay By Bank Card

Banks are to adopt a system that allows people to make a small donation to charity whenever they withdraw cash.

The Government also wants shops to offer customers the opportunity to “round up the pound” when using a debit or credit card, with the extra money going to charity.

Daily Telegraph

Banks are to adopt a system that allows people to make a small donation to charity whenever they withdraw cash.

The Government also wants shops to offer customers the opportunity to “round up the pound” when using a debit or credit card, with the extra money going to charity.

Daily Telegraph

I wonder if the charity is the benevolent Common Purpose

Edited by jammo

More money for the Polar Bears

Daily Telegraph

Public services will also be encouraged to take on more volunteers under the plans for a national volunteering website.

Schools may be encouraged to launch fund-raising campaigns for charities or new local facilities.

The goal is pretty clear then. Public services funded by donations and run by volunteers.

The article posted on daily mail states that the UK is already the 2nd highest per capita donator of money to charity , they donate 5 times more to charity than the French.

What is the agenda here? If you ask me it will be a major annoyance being hounded for money every time you want to withdraw some hard earned.

Edited by Ruffneck

This really sums up the ambitiousness of the coalition gov't, faced with the worst crisis since 29 their solution is force over-indebted shoppers to donate a few pennies to one of their mates' charities after every transaction.

I predict another 5 years of wasted opportunities.

Edited by Chef

As it is the banks who may be involved I shall make sure I steer a wide path around this one. Not only that, who decides what charity gets the dosh after, I am sure, 90% is skimmed for admin costs?

I shall continue with my bit by donating to a local project that feeds genuinely poor people. I only have to see the word "bank" and I am put off. Such is the damage the banksters have done to their reputation since the Brown years.

The goal is pretty clear then. Public services funded by donations and run by volunteers.

+100

Tories are very enthusiastic about other people giving to charity.

The poor give more than the rich to charity in total, never mind proportionately

I wonder if I could have it setup so that every time I use my mastercard or my visa a small donation could go to wikileaks? :unsure:

Will you be able to giftaid it, that's what I want to know.

For me, one added satisfaction of giving to charity is ticking that giftaid box and knowing I'm giving the govt. a little bit less tax to waste.

And I'd want to know a lot more about exactly where it goes and how much is taken in admin before I'd donate like this.

Daily Telegraph

Wouldn't it be better if the shops were asked to donate for each sale that they make?

Guest spp

Just another push towards the complete illusion...digital 'money'.

Surprised they haven't recalled all those pre 92 1p/2p yet.

Edited by spp

Paypal ask if you want to donate each time you use it.

it's very simple.

NO

Heh much like those things when you ask if you want to offset your carbon! You click no.

They'll probably use of of those tick boxes which will word it in a difficult to understand manner so that ticking it means no, unticking it means yes.

Or more likely they will have an option screen, where the options are YES or YES

I donated all my Christmas money to charity. I suspect supporting Wikileaks, Democracy Now and Media Lens aren't what the Government had in mind, but hopefully will be far more useful.

Which got your name put onto a terrorist list.

The article posted on daily mail states that the UK is already the 2nd highest per capita donator of money to charity , they donate 5 times more to charity than the French.

Perhaps that'll be because we have such a wide definition of what is a charity, including much of our social life (things like clubs and societies), schools, National Trust, etc, etc.

As it is the banks who may be involved I shall make sure I steer a wide path around this one. Not only that, who decides what charity gets the dosh after, I am sure, 90% is skimmed for admin costs?

I shall continue with my bit by donating to a local project that feeds genuinely poor people. I only have to see the word "bank" and I am put off. Such is the damage the banksters have done to their reputation since the Brown years.

Quite right, RB. I give money directly to an orphanage in Africa, which pays for the education, food and clothing for 2 primary age children for a year. I used to donate to Oxfam, as they told me that a certain monthly donation would pay the salary of a trainee teacher in an African country. Then I realised that most of the money was going to fund offices in central London etc.

In normal times this idea of the option to give money to charities when using a cashcard would be a good one. But knowing what we know about this government, I'd be very suspicious. To me it looks like it's all part of a the plan to replace large parts of the paid public sector workforce with unpaid volunteers. If this happens in the pubic sector, it will also happen in the private sector, e.g.: -

"Work for us for 3 months for nothing and there's the likelihood of a paid job at the end of it".

'"If you do this assignment as a free sample for us, there's the possibility of a lot of lucrative work coming your way in the future."

"Always wanted to drive a train? Now you can! Join Network North-South's volunteer train driver scheme."

Also the scheme opens the door for an 'opt-out' charity tax, or even a compulsory one. Or just a simple cash withdrawal tax at some time in the future.

The Torylition is increasing taxes AND cutting public spending.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Which charity ?

Eton has charitable status but I do not think they deserve a handout from me

There are some charities I support and some I would rather not have my money

I want to decide who gets my donations not some state bureaucrat following the agenda of his political masters.

If the politcians decide who gets what then it is just another tax.

Anyway there are already of plenty of schemes like this run by people like the Co-op for those who want to give extra

Edited by realcrookswearsuits