House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

"bookstart" Fiasco/u-Turn

Book start is about the only good thing to happen within the children's services area in the last 10 years.

The pack with 2 books offered to parents at the 2 year developmental check I believe, it might be the only set of books in some children's homes.

For the sake of a couple of quid per child it has to continue.

I work p/t in a small and very well-used library where we dish out masses of Bookstart packs. There's one for babies, one for toddlers and one for 4/5 year olds. Most of ours go to the sort of children whose parents would probably take them to the library anyway, but the packs probably encourage mothers of the very little ones to bring them to the library earlier than they might have thought of. As well as a fantastic selection of books for very little ones (inc. board books for babies) we also run very popular Rhyme Time sessions (singalong for mothers and babies).

Arguably, though, the packs should be targeted more at the sort of parents who would never think of taking their children, let alone very little ones, to the library, and don't read to them much, if at all. An awful lot of parents probably don't realize that they can borrow umpteen lovely children's books every week and it won't cost them a penny. And there really are so many lovely children's books nowadays. IMO there's not much point in dishing out a couple of free books if it doesn't encourage parents to use a free service and read to their children often.

Having said that, we recently had an update saying that from now on parents can choose to have one of the 3 Bookstart packs in any one of about 30 languages from Albanian to Vietnamese. These must be ordered since they have to be specially printed. Personally, given the climate of cuts, I can't understand how they're even thinking of this extra expense for the sake of multiculturalism.

Having said that, we recently had an update saying that from now on parents can choose to have one of the 3 Bookstart packs in any one of about 30 languages from Albanian to Vietnamese. These must be ordered since they have to be specially printed. Personally, given the climate of cuts, I can't understand how they're even thinking of this extra expense for the sake of multiculturalism.

The books should be printed in English so the kids learn English they can use in the school classes.

Britain has gone mad , the "conservatives" are just as bad as Labour.

Get it right next time and vote UKIP or BNP people.

Book start is about the only good thing to happen within the children's services area in the last 10 years.

The pack with 2 books offered to parents at the 2 year developmental check I believe, it might be the only set of books in some children's homes.

Remove children from home with no books!

You can take a horse to water...

Remove children from home with no books!

That might cost the state rather more than a few pounds don't you think as well as the emotional cost to the child, foster care isn't a roaring success in this country.

That might cost the state rather more than a few pounds don't you think as well as the emotional cost to the child, foster care isn't a roaring success in this country.

Well there's an alternative... not so pleasant as nasty foster care though cheaper.

It's sad what's happening to public libraries. Some authorities are planning to close most of their libraries despite a legal requirement to provide a 'comprehensive' free public library service.

However, I see the Bookstart programme as something of a luxury, a bit of typical froth from the Tony Blair era. As a leftist I give permission for its abandonment.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

'Austerity cuts' will gradually and quietly morph into 'taxy taxy'.

Got to keep feeding the banksters after all.

I work p/t in a small and very well-used library where we dish out masses of Bookstart packs. There's one for babies, one for toddlers and one for 4/5 year olds. Most of ours go to the sort of children whose parents would probably take them to the library anyway, but the packs probably encourage mothers of the very little ones to bring them to the library earlier than they might have thought of.

Do what?

They should be in english only - and free classes for parents who can't speak English. End translation services too - let's do what Spain does and make you pay for a translator if you need one.