House Price Crash Forum

Children In Desperate Poverty In The Uk

SarahBell

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12075057

More than a million school children in the UK still lack access to a computer at home, research suggests.

This is despite giving away computers and internet to the poor kids.

Surely whilst we still have libraries and after hours clubs at schools there's no need for it to be a problem?

HOLA442

More than a million school children in the UK still lack access to a computer at home, research suggests.

Surely whilst we still have libraries and after hours clubs at schools there's no need for it to be a problem?

The government gives them away sure.... they then end up on ebay or sold down the local pub or pawned and the money used for other things

HOLA443

Of course, in order to actually usefully employ a PC or laptop, one needs firstly to be able to read, write, count and comprehend.

Checked the rising illiteracy rate recently?

HOLA444

Of course, in order to actually usefully employ a PC or laptop, one needs firstly to be able to read, write, count and comprehend.

Checked the rising illiteracy rate recently?

Oh I quite agree.

I've already said elsewhere kids shouldn't leave primary until they can read and write and do basic maths.

The idea people are "left behind" when they don't have a computer at home just shows what we think poverty is in this country. Next it'll be a foreign holiday a year for the poorest people.

I would like stats on these households without internet:

- how much is spent on cigs and booze

- how many consoles and games are bought

- whether the parents have got the skills themselves to assist kids in using a computer

- how much is a spent on mobile phone use

HOLA445
HOLA446

I've already said elsewhere kids shouldn't leave primary until they can read and write and do basic maths.

The idea people are "left behind" when they don't have a computer at home

Actually i think the poverty is not having a mother at home. I think children shouldn't arrive at primary until they can read write and do basic maths. My 2 year old is well on his way and is picking things up like a sponge from his mother who doesn't need to work. How many children have that one to one tuition taken away from soon after birth?

HOLA447

Actually i think the poverty is not having a mother at home. I think children shouldn't arrive at primary until they can read write and do basic maths. My 2 year old is well on his way and is picking things up like a sponge from his mother who doesn't need to work. How many children have that one to one tuition taken away from soon after birth?

That would be a nice way of defining poverty if you changed it from mother to parent... but then you'd be reinforcing the single parent popping out kids every year to avoid getting a job.

I don't think having a parent to look after you makes the difference - it's about having the right surroundings and for some kids the less time spent with their parents the better.

I suspect parenting classes before you're allowed to breed would be the only way forward. Can't see the Waynes and Waynettas lining up to be sterilised though. (And you'd have to do that at about age 9 to ensure they don't start early)

HOLA448
HOLA449

That would mean they would have to use their feet and venture outside the house, thus putting government obesity targets at risk.

HOLA4410

That was my first thought.

Giving someone a free computer doesn't mean they will keep it.

I seem to remember the HCI i think it was called (Home Computer Initiative) going the same way i.e. govt or public employees buying shit and cheapo Evesham Vale PCs and then flogging them on. And then Broon spoiled the party, HCI was pulled, Evesham Vale went bust and loads of people found that they didn't have a warranty LOL!!

Sort of similar to the goings on at MG Rover: employees buying cheap cars on staff discount/finance scheme, keeping them for a year and then flogging them off on ebay making a nice 2k for themselves. MG Rover then goes tits up and the smug buyers of cheap MG Rovers then have to pay out there pocket for head gasket failiures LOL!!!!

Free fecking computers for fecks sake! Why don't this sham political class dish out free common sense! Feckwits!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Oh I quite agree.

I was a secondary school governor back in the late 1980s for a coupla years: at the beginning of the roll out of LMS (local Management of Schools): headhunted by the County Council 'cos I'm an accountant and school boards needed finance skills.

Now, in order to commence the 11+ syllabus, kids need a Reading, Writing, Arithmetic and Comprehension age of, strangely enough, 11+, ish.

90% of the new intake hovered around 7+: and many lower still.

Thus primary and junior schools had failed; abysmally.

The school enjoyed the services of a fantastic lady: a remedial expert. In six months she had 90% of the dullards at 12+!

The county Area Education Office cut the funding; it was unnecessary they stated.............................they also simultaneously denied Dyslexia existed.

The idea people are "left behind" when they don't have a computer at home just shows what we think poverty is in this country. Next it'll be a foreign holiday a year for the poorest people.

No: I believe it is typical politician's Knee Jerk "Quick Fix" syndrome.

I would like stats on these households without internet:

- how much is spent on cigs and booze

- how many consoles and games are bought

- whether the parents have got the skills themselves to assist kids in using a computer

- how much is a spent on mobile phone use

Sometime after the earlier period, I was headhunted to chair an Urban Regeneration Programme, funded by government under what was called the SRB 1: (Single Regeneration Bid, series 1).

I had to have access to all the core local demographics.

We used to "measure" deprivation in various ways: and unofficially, clock how many Sky dishes were festooned all over the walls of run-down hovelly tower blocks.

Most interestingly, my GP friend introduced me to the results of a WHO global survey: which just happened to target the most deprived local area as a control subject. (Deprived both economically and socially).

On Father's Day the kids ran around wondering which man to present the card to! That's if they weren't inside for a spell.

In essence it concluded they smoked like chimneys: drank like fishes; and food was something invariably eaten with chips cooked in lard or beef dripping.

And the test subjects presented with NOT ONE case of Coronary-Vascular Disease.

It was concluded this was since they suffered zero stress: no bills to pay no living to struggle with; no mortgage to pay: nothing much to worry about; unless their satellite went down, of course..........

Fast forward a few years.............

The local authority became a Unitary Authority and took back responsibility for education, health and etc.

A good friend of mine asked me to advise the new education unit, which she headed, which was grappling with dysfunctional kids and families and the main problem, truanting.

Well I rolled out the old spiel about the 1948 Education Act and how this placed an onus of legal responsibility on parents to ensure their kids attended school.

The management group looked bemused: "I'll make you a bet!" I said, "99% of these problem kid's parents are benefit cases!"

"You're correct."

"Thus you cannot fine 'em: so deprive them of their viewing pleasure for a few weeks: bang 'em up, as the act so empowers you under delegated powers!"

"Can't!"

"Why?"

"The kids would suffer!"

Education only works when parents value it as much as good teachers and good schools.

Sadly, most illiterate parents do not value education at all.

Now that was fine when there were plenty of jobs around which entailed merely lifting, humping and shovelling.

Business and employment has moved on.

HOLA4415

http://www.bbc.co.uk...cation-12075057

It's all my fault I am a computer hoarder. I should pay more processor tax.

Here is my hoard Mr Computer Tax Man:

1 x Asus M4A89TD Mother board in Coolmaster chasis with AMD Phenom X6 3Ghz and 16GB RAM, and 2x64o GB RAID 0 disks + 2TB slow disk

1 x MSi socket M3 Motherboard with AMD Atlon X2 at 2GB RAM, with 1TB SATA and 320GB SATA

2 x Acer One Netbooks with Intel Atom and 512MB

2 x Marvell Plug PCs with ARM Processors

1 x HP EX485 WindowsHome Server

1 x Lenovo X301

1 x HP / C0mpaq NC6320

1 x Sony Vaio

1 x Dell Dimension 8100 - ancient 1.3GHz Pentium and 786MB of RAMBus Memory

Now to the serious point, the HP/Compaq and the Dell Dimension are heading rapidly to skip. I have built all my own recent desktop systems, and strangely the build quality ends up being much higher than the branded stuff and the result is cheaper. It would be equally possible to combine these two concepts (ie people disposing of stuff and building stuff) and perhaps encourage these kids to recycle from throw away systems.

Certainly if you put a small Linux Kernel on the old kit it does work fine for web browsing which is what 95% of people use computer for and if you want applications like Open office that will work fine on Ubuntu on a slow system.

And actually it is quite possible to build faster systems out of older bits by consolidating things like disk arrays and memory. As an example my MSI motherboard can support RAID5, so why not when I come to recycle it, take this board and 5 old 3G SATA disks and then build a cheap RAID5 array that will certainly match the new 6G SATA disks for performance. Such a system would running Windows 7 very well including all the Aero stuff.

My view is that If people are too poor to buy an expensive shiney PC or dare I say MacBook then they should look at alternatives and certainly there are plenty of alternatives.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Exactly - they are stuck into state controlled 'nurseries' where they are taught they have not done anything wrong by smashing that metal tractor into a classmates face but are shown a different way to do things.

Ditto every other naughty/bad thing they get up to - then they graduate to knowing they can get their parents jailed if the parent chastises and smack them for wrong /bad behaviour.

The supermarket/shopping trip 'nag factor' is taught/learned at an early age and they're brainwashed by fast food/latest expensive toy/must have latest overpriced stylish clothing big business advertising by the age of 4.

They graduate as 'Ferals'!

Edited by erranta

HOLA4418
It is warning that many of the UK's poorest children face being severely educationally disadvantaged by their lack of access to technology as a result.

All children have been disadvantaged by the last government. Education standards have declined. What exactly are the kids doing with this technology? I can think of very few subjects where a school child requires a laptop. There won't be any jobs for aspiring software engineers anyway as all of these jobs will be long gone overseas.

I guess the kids can always use Facebook to find out which members of their class the teacher is sleeping with. :unsure:

HOLA4419

All children have been disadvantaged by the last government. Education standards have declined. What exactly are the kids doing with this technology? I can think of very few subjects where a school child requires a laptop. There won't be any jobs for aspiring software engineers anyway as all of these jobs will be long gone overseas.

I guess the kids can always use Facebook to find out which members of their class the teacher is sleeping with. :unsure:

It is strange, we are throwing millions of pounds around kitting schools out with the latest av kit replacing blackboards and bits of chalk, the simple reality is that they make little difference to kids actually learning stuff (and I would hazard a guess that most of the staff can't use the equipment anyway) so the whole enterprise is largely pointless.

Of course kids now need to know their way around computers but far more importantly they need to learn how to read and write and have at least basic numeracy skills. When I was at school in the 80's it was a special event when the calculator draw was unlocked for a maths lesson and we were made to get by without technology it was annoying at the time but I am sure actually was helpful to stop us being lazy and getting used to numbers without relying on blindly plugging numbers into a machine.

In fact to get onto my soap box most kids would be done a favour if they were taught even a little bit about home cooking to avoid our dependence on processed ready meals though as someone pointed out to me once supermarkets make far more money selling people overpriced over processed crap mass produced in factories so I am sure there is an hidden motive behind keeping the population ignorant.

HOLA4420

Millions of people are disadvantaged by not having as much as the other person who has an advantage.

This scandal has been revealed by researchers who are only now uncovering the full extent of the gap between rich and poor. Some examples include;

* rich people tend to live in bigger houses and drive nicer cars

* they also wear nicer clothes

* poorer people have less expensive holidays and don't tend to get as many expensive presents at Christmas

* hardly any poor people get to buy houses in the really expensive parts of London

I must admit I could hardly believe this when it came out; I mean, here we are in 21st Century Britain and having more money still means you can buy more stuff! It's staggering to think that still there are people who have an arbitary amount less than the average income and so are "in poverty".

Admittedly there are people like my aged mother who was brought up in a cellar kitchen in Liverpool in the 30's who can't get their heads around the concept that not having a PC means you're in poverty, but thankfully studies like this exist to correct them.

HOLA4421

It is strange, we are throwing millions of pounds around kitting schools out with the latest av kit replacing blackboards and bits of chalk, the simple reality is that they make little difference to kids actually learning stuff (and I would hazard a guess that most of the staff can't use the equipment anyway) so the whole enterprise is largely pointless.

Of course kids now need to know their way around computers but far more importantly they need to learn how to read and write and have at least basic numeracy skills. When I was at school in the 80's it was a special event when the calculator draw was unlocked for a maths lesson and we were made to get by without technology it was annoying at the time but I am sure actually was helpful to stop us being lazy and getting used to numbers without relying on blindly plugging numbers into a machine.

In fact to get onto my soap box most kids would be done a favour if they were taught even a little bit about home cooking to avoid our dependence on processed ready meals though as someone pointed out to me once supermarkets make far more money selling people overpriced over processed crap mass produced in factories so I am sure there is an hidden motive behind keeping the population ignorant.

I agree. Schools are missing the point. You cannot obtain the same level of mental dexterity with a calculator. During the Summer we were shown what we could eat off of native trees! Those types of lessons stay with you a lifetime. We were always short of books when I was at school in the 70s and 80s. We survived.

Edited by Xurbia

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The comments here are missing the point - this is about the old adage of 'competing in the global economy.'

I doubt whether all Chinese and Indian kids have their own laptops. They are still way ahead of British kids.

From article: In November more than half of teachers who took part in a survey for the Times Education Supplement said pupils without access to internet or a computer at home were hampered in their learning.

Does this mean that teachers are unable to impart the knowledge required during classtime? They must either be terrible teachers else the syllabus needs alteration. Eventually old style 'O' and 'A' levels will be brought back. I'm not surprised that over 40% of young Britons are unemployed. They have been shafted by Labour's education policies.

I could 'ave been Prime Minister if only I'd 'ad a laptop, init? :unsure::lol:

HOLA4424

The comments here are missing the point - this is about the old adage of 'competing in the global economy.'

George Orwell

- The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous.

Hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance.

This new version is the past and no different past can ever have existed. In principle the war effort is always planned to keep society on the brink of starvation. [Welfare cut backs by lib/con-conners]

The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects [Govt deliberately let the City Banksters destroy the UK!] and its object is not the victory over either Eurasia or East Asia [insert North Korea as the 'new' baddie], but to keep the very structure of hierarchical society intact.

Edited by erranta

HOLA4425

I doubt whether all Chinese and Indian kids have their own laptops. They are still way ahead of British kids.

Does this mean that teachers are unable to impart the knowledge required during classtime? They must either be terrible teachers else the syllabus needs alteration.

Eventually old style 'O' and 'A' levels will be brought back. I'm not surprised that over 40% of young Britons are unemployed. They have been shafted by Labour's education policies.

I could 'ave been Prime Minister if only I'd 'ad a laptop, init? :unsure::lol:

My kids regularly get homework from their primary school that actually does require a computer to do - it's basically an online maths quiz (www.mathletics.co.uk). Lord knows how much the school pays for this. It's pretty good and the kids enjoy it. However, impossible to do if you don't have a PC at home or a library nearby. Of course, the fact that teachers don't have to mark papers and just get the results automatically is just an unintended consequence :rolleyes: