House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nice tuna sandwich

Shorting Gold

Anyone else thinking about this?

Or is there a good reason why gold is worth x times more now than it was 10 years ago

Just make sure you short Gold on record highs if you do so, don't worry, they'll be plenty more to shoot at. There tends to be pull backs in such cases as people get nervous that its gone 'too high' and so take profit.

I assume you are looking to short Gold priced in Dollars and not Sterling. The last thing you want to be left holding is a Sterling long against the Dollar to achieve a GBP short on Gold.

Or is there a good reason why gold is worth x times more now than it was 10 years ago

What, like fears of sovereign debt default, quantitative easing, bank failures, the implosion of the largest asset bubble in recent history, negative real interest rates, and inflation constantly over target?

No, no reasons at all. Nothing to see here, move along now.

Crikey, did you see that X-Factor final? What a stitch-up!

Yawn. Have you been asleep for the last 5 years?

Yes there is a good reason, 10 years ago we didn't have 3 trillion of QE in the global system. 10 years ago we didn't have the credit fest unleashed by Greenspan after 9-11. The value of gold IMHO is not a bubble. It is a deliberate reaction to the debasement of currency throughout the world, in other words people keep buying the yellow shiny stuff because politicians cannot print it.

In short - if you excuse the pun - with all the grief that is yet to come, I think you would need your head examining to be shorting gold or at the very least IMHO it is such a risky call that I certainly would not countenace it,

btw as always, my opinion is worth precisely what you paid me for it

What, like fears of sovereign debt default, quantitative easing, bank failures, the implosion of the largest asset bubble in recent history, negative real interest rates, and inflation constantly over target?

No, no reasons at all. Nothing to see here, move along now.

Stop that, we need to encourage metal shorters so we can buy on the pullbacks they create ;)

yeah, do it. Useless metal that you cant eat, short the crap out of it, you should be a miwionaire by summer.

yeah, do it. Useless metal that you cant eat, short the crap out of it, you should be a miwionaire by summer.

never try to call the top (OR bottom) of any market. you can't. Thats why the phrase "the trend is your friend" came about. Everyone IS jumping on the bandwagon, but what's to say the bandwagon isn't 20x 40x or 100x? When you SEE the pullback starting (and I don't mean a twitch) and THAT becomes the trend, then short the sh't out of it. The only way to play the metal markets at the moment is long, and anyone who see's the top here is not reading the news.

never try to call the top (OR bottom) of any market. you can't. Thats why the phrase "the trend is your friend" came about. Everyone IS jumping on the bandwagon, but what's to say the bandwagon isn't 20x 40x or 100x? When you SEE the pullback starting (and I don't mean a twitch) and THAT becomes the trend, then short the sh't out of it. The only way to play the metal markets at the moment is long, and anyone who see's the top here is not reading the news.

yeah thanks for that newb.

I will short around feb/march when golds seasonality comes into play. I will short with my trading account and be buying coins with my cash.

Shorting gold is a dangerous game at time because the trend is up. A pull back does not become the trend, merely a counter trend rally. You need to do some learning about gold and currencies otherwise you are going to get spanked. Let me guess, you look only at the $ price and have no idea how to play it from sterling?

Guest spp

Shorting gold is a dangerous game at this time because the trend is up the monetary system is on its knees.

Those in 'control' are wedged right between that 'rock and a hard place' IMO. The fiat paper Ponzi is being exposed for what it is.

The silver sharks also smell blood in the water.

Bring on 2011.

S'funny, all those doubters about gold not coming down don't seem to have come back. Helloooooooo? Are you there?

http://www.youtube.com/user/stellaconcepts#p/u/1/Bg2EJk1AWKA

This seems to get it into perspective. $20 does seem to be a realistic target for Silver before it goes up again?

I was one who had an opinion but not because gold wouldnt fall but because playing counter trend rallies is like playing russian roulette imo. It isn't safe.

I exited all my miners on the 7th when gold hit 1370 and had already closed most of my gold longs.

I didnt expect gold to fall this early this year but that is what the charts are for. I think that sub 1300 is reasonably likely and that sub 1200 is highly unlikely but would I short? No, I didnt on the 7th and I wont now. Shorting is only a day trade for me and doesnt make sense on gold.

I buy sovs when the price falls and I go long when it rises.