House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Projectors

Since I very very rarely watch TV, but am a big movie fan, I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to pick up a projector?

Anyone know anything about this and how much I would have to spend to get something half decent? Bear in mind that the vast majority of what I'd be playing wouldn't be from a HD source, so it would probably make sense for me to get a good projector that wasn't 1080p instead of spending the same on a crap 1080p projector (if that makes any sense).

Sick of going to the cinema to watch the crap they are churning out nowadays, so I'd like to invest a little on something for the flat.

Or am I better just picking up a 40/50 inch plasma/LCD?

Since I very very rarely watch TV, but am a big movie fan, I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to pick up a projector?

Definitely yes.

Like you I don't watch much TV and also don't indulge in HD. Being a skinflint I bought a low res LED (yes LED, not even a "proper" bulb) small projector for about £300. I was sceptical this little thing could do the job, but I was wrong. For watching DVDs etc projected onto a lounge room wall it's perfect. Bright enough and big enough. So I imagine the high res more powerful projectors are fantastic.

I bought mine to replace an old hulking Chinese thing, which was equally invaluable. There's no way I'd go back to watching a normal TV ever again frankly. The only disadvantage is you need a darkened room, which may not be practical during daytime. Projectors usually need a generous warm down time also. You can't just switch them off completely instantly or you'll melt the LCD inside. However my LED version doesn't have that problem, which is a bonus. And make sure you have some powerful speakers to sit by the screen or wall. No use having a massive screen but tinny sound ;)

Go ahead and do it.

Anyone know anything about this and how much I would have to spend to get something half decent? Bear in mind that the vast majority of what I'd be playing wouldn't be from a HD source, so it would probably make sense for me to get a good projector that wasn't 1080p instead of spending the same on a crap 1080p projector (if that makes any sense).

Sick of going to the cinema to watch the crap they are churning out nowadays, so I'd like to invest a little on something for the flat.

Or am I better just picking up a 40/50 inch plasma/LCD?

The main problem with a projector is the need to have a darkened room, so unless you have a dedicated home cinema room you plunge the family into darkness every time you watch a film and unless you only watch at night you need blackout curtains. Also, when you have a huge screen you need a huge sound system to go with it or it doesn't recreate the cinema experience.

Having said that, there's no comparison between a 50" plasma and a good DLP projector with a 110" screen, I have both and the PJ knocks spots off the plasma for a feature film.

I'd like a projector, but aren't the replacement bulbs a shocking price?

Anyway, I live in a very small box with two other glove-puppets, so barely have room for an iPoop, or whatever! :huh:

I don't have a TV and got fed up with cinema prices and other cinema goers

Here is my solution

A couple of years ago I bought a Sanyo PLV Z5 (not HD), it is LCD and not DLP, and I find it excellent. It has the ability to offset the projector considerably if you need to. LCD IMHO is better than DLP (at least it was then), but it is swings and roundabouts and probably as contraversial a topic as global warming.

I had a large stretcher (picture frame) made up professionally at 70 x 41 inches (about 100 quid IIRC) by Jeffay Furniture, and covered it myself with screen material from DRH, this takes time and there are plenty of instructional pages on the web about how to stretch a canvas properly. I hang the screen up when needed from a couple of discrete hooks in the ceiling and store it in a spare room when not. view it at a distnace of about 12'. For me, this was a preferable option to a similarly priced permanently fitted pull down screen that will sag, unless you get a tab-tensioned screen, which costs a small fortune. Probably the best, but most expensive option is a tab-tensioned electric screen that withdraws into the space above the ceiling.

I play the sound through my regular HiFi, which has Castle speakers and an MJ Acoustics reference 100 sub woofer. So, although not 'surround', it seems very fine to me in a small living room (15' x 12').

Bulbs seem to cost a lot upfront, but I estimate that it works out about 20p per film and at 2000 hours I can see a lot of films (average about 1 a week over the year) and so I will probably replace the projector before the bulb.

You can only really watch at its best when the sun has gone down and the curtains are drawn. But when the sun is up I would not be watching a film anyway, so it suits me.

Total cost about 850 quid or about 85 trips to the cinema (2 people)

I would do it again

We've had a 1080p Sanyo machine for 6 months now. It projects onto our chimney breast and gives us a 60'' screen. Best thing about it is that when it's off there's no hulking electronic monster sulking conspicuously in the corner. Also, the room doesn't need to be completed dark. Sure, in daylight you need to have the blinds closed, but at night the picture is fine even with a couple of table lamps on in the room.

It really is the only way to go in terms of bang per buck but does depend on your budget/size of room. Forget about plunging your family in darkness and I'll add to that later. My watching habits are the same as yours.

I can get a 2meter by 1 meter picture easy and it blows people away when they see it. It cost about 1000GBP when to buy a plasma even approaching that size 20,000GBP. Game over moneywise.

Set the room with a small tv to watch the news or whatever other stuff is attractive and have the big screen,(the wall), ready for the main event.

Best info/point of contact on net is www.projectorpoint.co.uk for entire globe for me.

I will add a piccy at the end showing screen and telly plus light in room with film on. Projector is behind the stalls, sorry sofa, on shelf.

You should, (hopefully), find something similar to this.

A good but basic 5.1 surround sound system should cost about 200 GPB. 'Home theatre in a box'.I use sony for reliability/can't be bothered thinking too hard. The speakers should be proper speakers on stands though with an output suited to size of room..

The projector will depend on your room size and the following are considerations in terms of importance IMHO.

1. Lumens. Aim for about 2000 if you can.

2. If you usually watch films by day get the curtains lined with blackout otherwise don't bother.

3. Don't buy a screen unless later you become a wealthy connoisseur . Paint the wall slightly off white colour like light beige. White is too obvious and not needed. If the wall looks too bare whack a nail very high up, buy canvass on board artwork hanging on long string. Take down when gonna view.

4. Try to get the cheapest 1080 projector to give redundancy for when all discs are blue ray.

5. Wide throw for tight rooms. This is important if your gaff is small. At 2 metres wide from projector to wall you want 2 meter wide picture

That's it and you are away.

but then

4. High contrast ratio is good but not affected me yet.

5. Buy a playstation 3 as a blue ray player for hi def discs when you can afford it. Cheapest BR disc player plus gives games/5.1digital etc. I'm set up for BRdisk but they are rare treats.

Bulbs 300ish GBP. Have had projectors since the first sony home came out around 2000?. In 9ish years I'm on second projector and used 3 bulbs on first unit and this three year old themescene job is still on original bulb.

Unless you are watching night time scenes the picture light reflected from the wall illuminates the room sufficiently.

The lcd telly in photo is 42inch for size reference and it's height restricts my projector image.

Hope that helps but projector point is comprehensive.

SV103270.JPG

post-18154-0-25626400-1293540573_thumb.jpg

The two people I know who have gone down this route, brother and workmate, spent thousands and couldn't be arsed after a year or so and went back to LCD/LEDs.

They are good at what they do though.

The two people I know who have gone down this route, brother and workmate, spent thousands and couldn't be arsed after a year or so and went back to LCD/LEDs.

They are good at what they do though.

1) The ultimate is to convert a basement, garage or room into a theatre and to paint a wall with Screen Goo, a considerable outlay, but 'ready to go'.

2) In the absence of converting a room for cimema use, the next solution is to have everything permanenty in place in a household room. But this will cost money as to be unobtrusive it will require a screen that retracts into the ceiling space and a projector carefully placed with all wires hidden.

3) Next is a removable screen and projector you store when not in use, 5 mins of inconvenience to put up, but you can watch a cinema-sized view at the right height and at the intended aspect ratio, so no image loss or stretching. Don't bother with screens on stands if you have space to store a screen mounted on a stretcher, as I described above. Although my screen is ~70" x 41", I have made a fabric cover for it that means when it is not in use I hang it on a large plain wall elsewhere in the house and everyone who visits remarks on how much the modern artwork must have cost.

4) The simplest is projecting onto a wall.

I think it is worth the effort. Cost about 850 quid for no. 3 option for me and then you can appreciate films as they were meant to be seen.

I have very few gadgets, and I am not addicted to films (spent several years watching films on a 15" laptop with sound through the Hi Fi :blink: Now, I would miss my 'cinema' set up. But as I said, I only use it about once a week (I wouldn't go to the cinema more than that) and I don't have a TV.

I have both a big plasma and a 96inch screen for the projector.

The projector knocks spots of the plasma, it is so much more detailed and immersive.

I have a pull down screen above the plasma, takes 1.5 seconds to pull it down to switch from plasma to PJ viewing.

The PJ is at its best when it is dark but it is fine with table lamps on at the back of the room (not near the screen)

The one to get if you are a causal viewer is the Optoma HD200x a full 1080p projector at about 650quid new.

PS there are certain benefits to watching the PJ with the partner in a darkened room, i.e acting like teenagers in the cinema again.