House Price Crash Forum

Evening all.

Usually when I'm in London I'm stuck with dial up & don't spend much time on the forum.

Lucky me, my new neighbour who moved in next door a few weeks ago has set up an unsecured wireless connection.

The wonders of modern technology, I hope the don't notice the lights flickering so much whilst their computer is off..... :lol::D

:D

Nice one - i they are too stupid to use encryption, then they

probably don't look at the lights either.

At least we can look forward to some copious sparring from

you for the next few days

ABB

Yes, I have friends who never pay a penny for broadband anymore, just hook up to their neighbours broadband over wifi without their knowledge.

I don't suggest you do this, but if you go to your web-browser and type http://192.168.0.1 (the most common default private IP address for routers) then you can probably also take control of his router (as long as it's not password protected or password is default), then you can connect and disconnect his broadband connection whenever you want, see connection stats, open and block certain services, and if you're really evil put your own password on it :)

Evening all.

Usually when I'm in London I'm stuck with dial up & don't spend much time on the forum.

Lucky me, my new neighbour who moved in next door a few weeks ago has set up an unsecured wireless connection.

The wonders of modern technology, I hope the don't notice the lights flickering so much whilst their computer is off..... :lol:  :D

Yeah, I also hear that if you sneak around at 5am just after the milkman has done his rounds you can just grab as much free milk off your neighbours as you like, the wonders of being a low life, eh?

Shame your hyperbole doesn't match reality, like being hard up for £20 a month.

It seems to have buggered up your avatar video clip, the fellow on the bike seems to be stuck half way around the parabolica at monza.

Could you fix it please, and supply a link to it, it's bloody impressive :D

I work for a company that makes home wifi routers.

I recommend the following as a minimum security set up:

1 change the SSID to something other than the default.

2 change the admin password on the router

3 use WEP encryption (can easily be broken but most casual hackers won't bother)

4 use MAC address filtering. Again this can be broken but only by the technically savvy.

frugalista

I work for a company that makes home wifi routers.

I recommend the following as a minimum security set up:

1 change the SSID to something other than the default.

2 change the admin password on the router

3 use WEP encryption (can easily be broken but most casual hackers won't bother)

4 use MAC address filtering. Again this can be broken but only by the technically savvy.

frugalista

Oh yeah, and also

5 use secure HTTP to manage the router.

If I had to pick the absolute minimum, I would choose 1, 2 and 4.

frugalista

Oh yeah, and also

5 use secure HTTP to manage the router.

If I had to pick the absolute minimum, I would choose 1, 2 and 4.

frugalista

Most routers don't have SSL engines in them, so https won't work.

Even better, don't allow access to the admin pages over the air interface, most decent routers disallow it. You should also disable broadcast SSID, it can be easily sniffed though.

I reckon we should nominate TTRTR as an honorary bear.

The guys given a hell of a fight, and quite frankly I have more respect for someone who sticks with what they believe rather than someone (like PropertyPimp on the Squealing Pig) who changes their ideas due to popular opinion.

What this means in practice is that he will be able to sprout his "HPC won't happen" theories while prices are falling all around, without ridicule from us.

Otherwise he's just going to look like the Iraqi information minister.

Anyone disagree?

Edited by BandWagon

Most routers don't have SSL engines in them, so https won't work.

Even better, don't allow access to the admin pages over the air interface, most decent routers disallow it. You should also disable broadcast SSID, it can be easily sniffed though.

I have thought about turning off SSID broadcast. That would have been my number 6. But it is quite handy to have it around to see what's going on.

frugalista

Won't work for my nearset neighbours, they live out of range. :D

I am a bit suspicious of that black van that keeps parking in front of my house everday, though. :blink:

Frugalista

I wonder if you could help me with a related problem.

My ex-girlfriend's PC keeps dropping her own wireless router's signal and choosing the wide-open BT setup in the neighbour's flat directly above her, without any question of her wanting or asking the computer to do it.

How can she stop it choosing the stronger signal?  Could she be prosecuted for that?

Go into your wireless utility and set her own network to default. that will do the trick.

It's not illegal to hook onto an unsecured network and unless someone deliberately tries to do damage, no harm is done. I would be more concerned about spyware and viruses myself. That's how the real professionals target pcs.

Frugalista

I wonder if you could help me with a related problem.

My ex-girlfriend's PC keeps dropping her own wireless router's signal and choosing the wide-open BT setup in the neighbour's flat directly above her, without any question of her wanting or asking the computer to do it.

How can she stop it choosing the stronger signal?  Could she be prosecuted for that?

I have had a similar problem with my gf's mac airport card which seems to sometimes prefer the router downstairs instead of our router! It's an even worse problem where I live in the US as the signal strength is 10x the strength allowed in Europe.

Sorting out this kind of thing seems to depend on how configurable both your PC wireless card and router is, which varies a lot. With luck, your PC wireless card management software will have some kind of wireless profile in it where you can express a preference for the wifi network you would like to connect to first. In this profile you should put things specific to your router, like the SSID you have chosen (be sure to change your SSID from the default setting). Another thing to try out is to set the channel on your router to be something other than the default. I believe the default is normally 6, but can vary between 2 and 11. If you set your router to 11 say, and then put 11 in your preferred profile, this should help your PC select the right network.

Please do get back to me if you try any of this, I'm interested to see how it works.

As for the legal question, I'm no lawyer but I guess technically your ex-gf is "stealing" bandwidth by using the neighbour's wifi. But unless she causes trouble no-one is going to come after her.

frugalista

Isn't it just safest to use MAC addresses?

(A MAC address is specific to the network card)

That way the only people who are allowed onto your network are the people you have given access. The router blocks everyone else.

Neighbour next door has just installed a network, no security, unencrypyted, he's changed the SSID to his router model and post code.

Amazing. Just begging to be hacked.

Edited by BandWagon

Our wireless network is secured by MAC address.

Anyway - should give TTRTR the bandwidth to catch up on all the good news that's been posted over the last couple of days :-)

I'm gobsmacked by this. All the crimes being committed in this country, and police and court time and money is being taken up because some dolt couldn't apply the most basic security to his wifi network???

When a guy can't even cruise for a wifi, what has the world come to??? :o

Isn't it just safest to use MAC addresses?

(A MAC address is specific to the network card)

That way the only people who are allowed onto your network are the people you have given access. The router blocks everyone else.

Neighbour next door has just installed a network, no security, unencrypyted, he's changed the SSID to his router model and post code.

Amazing. Just begging to be hacked.

Yes, a bit like writing the PIN number on

your credit card in magic marker :D

ABB