House Price Crash Forum
brocken spectre

Vampire House Sucks Owner Dry

If i sell ..

Hmm she's preparing to jump ship.

Big houses really do suck all your money out. Unless you have money to pour into them you are scr*wed.

I saw this series on this. They only managed to patch the place up. The wedding business is a no-go - it just cannot generate enough business to support a person, never ming fix up the house.

(Im' from Yorks. I;ve been to Hull a lot. I almost started college in Hull (maritime eng)).

A brave attempt at bigging up Hull. Hull's never been a nice place. Up until the late 70s it was a cr*phole with good paying jobs for no-skilled people i.e. fishing.

Since the mid 80s its been a cr*phole with no jobs.

Hull's middle class do no live in the city - they go to Beverley - a truly fanatastic bit of the wolds. Near Hornsea, great (if flat) countryside - google David Hockney Wolds.

Hull is populated by the a huge number of feral sc*m. They're not chav - that's too metropolitan for them. Think some sort of lost tribe.

The gene pool has developed to allow for a large number of men to be drowned. This no longer happens. It should.

I know people always say this. But great pair.

Hull is populated by the a huge number of feral sc*m. They're not chav - that's too metropolitan for them. Think some sort of lost tribe.

The gene pool has developed to allow for a large number of men to be drowned. This no longer happens. It should.

Sounds like Manchester, you sure a door to door sweep with a flamethrower won't improve such things?

Sounds like Manchester, you sure a door to door sweep with a flamethrower won't improve such things?

Mancs are aspirational sc*m. Make that skirt wearing metro-sexuals.

Seriously, Hull sc*m would wipe their ar*es with Gucci suits.

If i sell ..

Hmm she's preparing to jump ship.

Big houses really do suck all your money out. Unless you have money to pour into them you are scr*wed.

I saw this series on this. They only managed to patch the place up. The wedding business is a no-go - it just cannot generate enough business to support a person, never ming fix up the house.

(Im' from Yorks. I;ve been to Hull a lot. I almost started college in Hull (maritime eng)).

A brave attempt at bigging up Hull. Hull's never been a nice place. Up until the late 70s it was a cr*phole with good paying jobs for no-skilled people i.e. fishing.

Since the mid 80s its been a cr*phole with no jobs.

Hull's middle class do no live in the city - they go to Beverley - a truly fanatastic bit of the wolds. Near Hornsea, great (if flat) countryside - google David Hockney Wolds.

I was going to mention "Fish Fingers" and Capn' Birds-eye but it sounds rather rude after "great pair" :P

There was that madness in the housing boom when people began to think that Hull would be a commuter town for London... so get in quick, buy something, do it up a bit and perhaps some bw anker will come along and buy it up..

What a fecked up country we have, what a fecked up people we have become, when everything revolves around house prices.

Mancs are aspirational sc*m. Make that skirt wearing metro-sexuals.

Seriously, Hull sc*m would wipe their ar*es with Gucci suits.

Mock Tudor 'Ba-RON' Prescott and his Star-spangled bog seats?

She should call in an expert.

You know, a sort of "Property Ladder" type to come in and glibly tell her where she's going wrong.

Oh, the irony of it all.

Is she high on something?

If Sarah Beeney (AKA Property Expert) with all the media coverage she can draw can't make it work in a decade of boom then what chance is there for anyone else to make the house earn it's keep for the next twenty years of austerity.

£2.5million is taking the george michael. I would say £500k max and on-going annual upkeep of £80-100k (rising with stagflation).

She claims "...too far north-east to have the passing trade required for a hotel." and in that sentance shows her lack of knowledge about property/ hotels - not everything has to be close to London. There are many country house hotels in the North East of England. The real reason she cannot get it to work is that she is not prepared to move there full time.

She claims "...too far north-east to have the passing trade required for a hotel." and in that sentance shows her lack of knowledge about property/ hotels - not everything has to be close to London. There are many country house hotels in the North East of England. The real reason she cannot get it to work is that she is not prepared to move there full time.

She does have a point though. Hull is hardly a destination in itself and you are unlikely to pass by it on the way to anywhere as it is stuck out on the end of the M62. If it was say 5 miles either side of the A1/M1 you might get passing trade.

Is she high on something?

If Sarah Beeney (AKA Property Expert) with all the media coverage she can draw can't make it work in a decade of boom then what chance is there for anyone else to make the house earn it's keep for the next twenty years of austerity.

£2.5million is taking the george michael. I would say £500k max and on-going annual upkeep of £80-100k (rising with stagflation).

It's a grade II listed mansion with 32 bedrooms! There is no way it is going to be worth only £500,000. The very minimum would be £1.5m.

There was that madness in the housing boom when people began to think that Hull would be a commuter town for London... so get in quick, buy something, do it up a bit and perhaps some bw anker will come along and buy it up..

Wow, Really? Hull a commuter town for London. Sad thing is I can well imagine Krusty and Phil showing around a couple of helpless saps around a house with a lovely laminate floor in a council house in Hull proclaiming that they can be 'in the City' in just under 3 hours

Wow, Really? Hull a commuter town for London. Sad thing is I can well imagine Krusty and Phil showing around a couple of helpless saps around a house with a lovely laminate floor in a council house in Hull proclaiming that they can be 'in the City' in just under 3 hours

Yes its true. They invented a railway company to do it. Hull trains, for commuters to london.

It's a grade II listed mansion with 32 bedrooms! There is no way it is going to be worth only £500,000. The very minimum would be £1.5m.

Twigs in vases seem sadly lacking, so they have no hope of getting top dollar.

Sarah has Beeny will be sucked dry by this Monster.

She thinks it is worth £2.5 Million!. :ph34r:

Full of choice quotes...

"And I think that, with not much effort, one could create an annual income of more than the £430,000 the house cost."

My emphasis. If it's that easy, Sarah...

So what if it's a mansion with 32 bedrooms. Not many families need 32 bedrooms. Heating costs are going to be substantial even if Beeny has put in a new boiler system.

There is no minimum worth. It's only worth what someone is willing and able to pay for it, who is in the market for that listed type of property from the old world, in Hull, isolated with no near neighbours, and who doesn't mind all the upkeep costs.

In this market it could be worth little if there are no such buyers around. Maybe there is no market interest in such a property even at the £430K Beeny originally paid for it. This Is Hull from November reports this, and I've learned that slide can be stopped by using a property more.

Sarah, Graham and their four young boys had been living in the front section of the property for a period of time. Dry rot had been discovered at the back of the building and the whole structure was slipping backwards. Mrs Beeny said: "The only way to stop the slide is for it to be used more.

Their heating bill this Winter might make interesting reading!.

I'm guessing it might be oil fired,+ 20/30% last few weeks. similar to heating 10 semis.

£200 per week maybe?.Any takers on a more accurate reading?.

BS.

Maybe it isn't even turned on.

I'm guessing it might be oil fired,+ 20/30% last few weeks. similar to heating 10 semis.

BS.

Considerably more I'd have thought. My father-in-laws 3 bed house in the countryside has burnt 3k of oil in the last year. He reckons it'll be worse next year given the recent price hikes.

BS.

Still, at least what with "global warming" :rolleyes: , it shouldn't need heating so much in the long term.

NOPE even Phil and Krusty would not touch Hull.

The first time they did the 10 best and the 10 worst places to live in the U.K. Hull came in at number 2 for the worst place to live .

Phil was standing by the river ( is it the Humber ? ) and said

" they are going to spend x amounts of £ to rebuild the defence walls " he then paused and said " why bother "

From her Introduction page on the Rise Hall website.

We began to realise why it was that houses such as these have been known to exchange hands for as little as £1, there was simply no way that the house would ever be worth as much as the renovation costs even as a finished building.

http://www.risehall.com/introduction

Ten years later and several trips to see rambling dilapidated mansions around the country, we came across Rise Hall. It was big, it was grand but if we are really honest it was not particularly beautiful and in a really appalling state of repair, but although it was miles from where we had our house in London it didn't have the problems that so many other houses we looked at did, not problems like a leaking roof, every rot imaginable, Damp and Rodent infestations, I mean things that could never be changed, like a motorway on your doorstep, open cast mining up to the foundations or being at the end of a major airport runway.

Being just outside Hull?

£2.5 million. Good luck finding someone willing to pay you that.