House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Boxing Day Shoppers - Where Are They?

It was such spin - the Beeb interviewed a few retailers and shopping centre managers who hyped up Boxing day as per usual - Boxing day spending is all about hype and the Beeb did its bit (groaaaaan). There was me thinking what a load of b******. Do they really think we're all a bunch of cretins?

FFS, even according to the BRC, just 18pc of retail businesses expect sales to improve in 2011, compared with 64pc who expect a deterioration. Post Chrimbo sales were hardly likely to be successful now were they!

Edited by gruffydd

Well, this morning I was in Wickes, no queue at the checkout. Went on to Sainsburys, quite a few around but again straight through a checkout. Very little traffic around as well so I reckon not much going on around here.

It was such spin - the Beeb interviewed a few retailers and shopping centre managers who hyped up Boxing day as per usual - Boxing day spending is all about hype and the Beeb did its bit (groaaaaan). There was me thinking what a load of b******. Do they really think we're all a bunch of cretins?

Obviously they do. Also they are looking after their jobs which depend on sprouting the propaganda of the PTB.

It hasn't gotten to the stage where the reporter simply thinks what a load of rubbish and walks out, simply because they are paid extremely well. Ever seen Robocop 3? On newsbreak one of the reporters can't believe the lies she is being told to pedal and walks out leaving Casey alone.

Obviously they do. Also they are looking after their jobs which depend on sprouting the propaganda of the PTB.

It hasn't gotten to the stage where the reporter simply thinks what a load of rubbish and walks out, simply because they are paid extremely well. Ever seen Robocop 3? On newsbreak one of the reporters can't believe the lies she is being told to pedal and walks out leaving Casey alone.

Heh Heh - haven't seen it but sounds like they hit the nail on the head there! Thing is, anyone with half a brain is laughing at their lies in this age of the internet.

Edited by gruffydd

Footfall figures show retail sector in state of collapse http://www.synovate.com/ce/whatwedo/retailperformance/

There was a 22.8% fall in shopper numbers nationally, compared with Boxing Day 2009

Over 27% fall in S W England.

So, all the BBC and other meedya hype was a pack of VI lies - oh what a shock :lol:

Probably down becasue of the 6 hours Sunday trading rule. People seem to forget this. Also in London we had a tube strike! It will pick up today and tomrrow so nothing to worry yourself about!!

Nope, I understand footfall figures are way down today as well. Ho ho. As if shortened hours would put people off goin shopping anyway on what is a holiday for most :lol: London was the only place which bucked the trend with an increase in shopper numbers on Boxing Day.

Read and learn re: Sunday Trading on Boxing Day: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8222214/Shops-to-get-around-Sunday-Trading-laws-on-Boxing-Day.html

Who exactly do you work for?

Edited by gruffydd

Was in homebase this morning - no trouble parking, only one person in the queue infront of me. I asked the assistant helping me carry my new black glass computer desk whether he had been busy...answer was "no, we've been a lot quieter than we were expecting; only just busy enough to keep us out of trouble"

London was the only place which bucked the trend with an increase in shopper numbers on Boxing Day.

That's right. Extraordinary numbers of shoppers in the stores on Oxford Street today.

That's right. Extraordinary numbers of shoppers in the stores on Oxford Street today.

Yeah, footfall up just over 10% on last yearin London but everyone expects to see spending / head down, so who knows how that will level off. To get a 22.8% yoy plunge in footfall nationally yet over 10% increase in London just shows you how badly other parts of the UK are doing, including the home counties.

Edited by gruffydd

Places can be packed but unless they are spending their own cash it's a waste of time.

Look for bags not bodies.

Very true - shopping is often simply window shopping if you don't have the cash to spend.

sorry to disappoint, but teh Trafford Centre was jam packed today

You're disappointing nobody - I'm just going on footfall count, as used by the retailers themselves.

Edited by gruffydd

Nope, I understand footfall figures are way down today as well. Ho ho. As if shortened hours would put people off goin shopping anyway on what is a holiday for most :lol: London was the only place which bucked the trend with an increase in shopper numbers on Boxing Day.

Read and learn re: Sunday Trading on Boxing Day: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8222214/Shops-to-get-around-Sunday-Trading-laws-on-Boxing-Day.html

Who exactly do you work for?

Really not what I am hearing. A bumper year for sales. Not all doom and gloom as most on here would like you to believe. :D

Edited by endofcrash2

Places can be packed but unless they are spending their own cash it's a waste of time.

Look for bags not bodies.

String handled bags or weak plastic bags. ;)

Where's your evidence - I've produced footfall evidence which suggests the opposite.

ill back you up on this, Bahnhofstrasse was completely empty on Boxing Day, about 20 tourists walking around there when i popped down, although its picked up a bit today as the shops are open

Further footfall info plus official spend info is out at end of week, so some interesting stats to digest...

See you later - off to eat some more Turkey - G

Edited by gruffydd

Saw the Beeb chap interview a couple of ladies who'd got up early to beat the rush for the Next sale today - they themselves said they were disappointed - they only had one bag each, and they said that stuff wasn't reduced enough... A couple of hours later they showed how busy the shopping centre was, but there really weren't many people carrying bags of shopping - unless the reductions are good, no-one will be buying serious quantities.

I went to M&S this afternoon - seemed pretty less than a normal shopping day.

I had a look at the Sale stuff and none of the decent jeans or other trousers were on sale as far as I could see. Even their socks and boxes only had a a small section for sale and they had mixed in loads of non-sale underpants and socks with them.

Saw the Beeb chap interview a couple of ladies who'd got up early to beat the rush for the Next sale today - they themselves said they were disappointed - they only had one bag each, and they said that stuff wasn't reduced enough... A couple of hours later they showed how busy the shopping centre was, but there really weren't many people carrying bags of shopping - unless the reductions are good, no-one will be buying serious quantities.

I checked on the Next website about 11AM and they did have some jeans there for £10 and £15 but they only had 46 Long left - whether they had other sizes before I don't know. I have been to Next sales in the past and frankly the physical stress is not worth the savings IMPO... but girlies seems to go in there and just fill up en masse. They offer you plastic bags to shove all your 'girlie stuff' into...